Scale Victory and some Non-Scale Victories

Options
mom2rpkp
mom2rpkp Posts: 185 Member
Okay, so I'm only 1/6 of the way to my goal, and still a very chunky little monkey...still, I wanted to share because you all have taught me that this journey is about progress and the daily, - even hourly - small decisions that get us one step closer.

Scale Victory: I've lost 24 pounds, and am at a weight I haven't seen in over 3 years
Non-Scale Victory #1: I've logged my food and activity every day for 15 days, even when it wasn't pretty. The last time I stuck with any program for more than 11 days was 1994. (For newbies, NSV stands for "Non-Scale Victory" and is an acknowledgment that we have many ways - physical, emotional, mental - even spiritual - to measure progress, all of which have nothing to do with the numbers on the scale).
NSV #2: I had two bad days in a row. Instead of saying, "oh, heck" and diving into the bag of chips, I just sucked it up and tried again. Being honest, logging my failure, and admitting I was struggling made a huge difference this time - because then I got support.
NSV #3: I'm injured. I was really excited about training to walk a 5K. I hurt my knee, and, instead of throwing my hands up and giving up, I'm just trying to move more every day until I heal.
NSV #4: I'm experiencing success during the most stressful time I've ever experienced: Moving, looking for a job, closing a day care business and saying goodbye to kids I've deep emotional ties to, just finalized adoption of 2nd child, teen starting school, and major financial pressure. I figure if I can do it now, then for the rest of my life I'll now that I can keep healthy habits. NO EXCUSES!
NSV # 5: I started with one small change back in June: Making and drinking at least one nutrient-rich green smoothie per day. I think the extra nutrition helped give me an almost imperceptible boost of energy and clarity that has allowed me to find MFP, make a commitment to myself and my girls, and just suck it up and do it.

This is hard work. BUT BEING FAT IS HARD WORK, too! I choose, for today, to do the work to become healthy. I may not get it exactly right, and life has this pesky habit of showing up and fouling up our best laid plans, but every day I will be closer. God will strengthen me for this journey, and I'm in it for the long haul.

For those who have already experienced and shared your success, thank you! You've inspired me.

For those just starting out, thinking that it's impossible, that this will be one more thing you've tried and failed, PLEASE JOIN ME. One beautiful thing about this community is that no one here seems to think they have it all figured out - we just help each other. Together, we can change our lives in the best way - not for looks but so that we can enjoy long and active lives with the people we love. Together, we can become free from obsession with our fat so we can freely love and serve others.

Replies

• saintsteffers
    saintsteffers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant, well done for all your amazing changes!
  • sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That was nice to read.. & well done..
  • NiaRestored
    NiaRestored Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great NSVs...I will share my NSV...I am also doing the walk to 5k, today I ran a full 20 mins!!!!! Never in a million years would I have thought I could run 2 mins let alone 20....even got a little emotional, but its okay I've come such a long way. Thanks for your post! :smile:
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It is totally about small steps and small changes! They all add up! Each one may seem small and insignificant, but when stacked all together will make for huge changes and progress towards improving your health and your life! Congratulations on making those small changes!

:flowerforyou:
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    It is totally about small steps and small changes! They all add up! Each one may seem small and insignificant, but when stacked all together will make for huge changes and progress towards improving your health and your life! Congratulations on making those small changes!

:flowerforyou:

Thanks, and WOW, go you! Awesome weight loss!
  • mom2rpkp
    Options
    Great NSVs...I will share my NSV...I am also doing the walk to 5k, today I ran a full 20 mins!!!!! Never in a million years would I have thought I could run 2 mins let alone 20....even got a little emotional, but its okay I've come such a long way. Thanks for your post! :smile:

Good for you! I would have gotten emotional, too, When we've battled this a long time, I think our self-esteem takes such a hit that we start to think of ourselves as less-than-capable...having your ability to handle tough challenges proven is pretty exciting. We have a 5o mile challenge group if you're interested.
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    Very enjoyable reading. You have done great! Fantastic journey!
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats on all your victories! Very motivational read!! Thank you for sharing!
  • Heatherjg0419
    Heatherjg0419 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! Thank you so much for sharing! :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!