Dinner time woes!!

Options
Help me I am getting so tired of the same old chicken/broccoli and salad! Yuck? Any one have any good recipes or ideas to help me out?

Replies

• tasiml
    tasiml Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish? Maybe grill/bake some fish with some oven roasted veggies and oven roasted potatoes....
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I'm making chicken noodle soup for dinner! You could make chili, that's always yummy. Any sort of stew or soup. You could make spaghetti..just use whole wheat pasta. I normally just try and make variations to things I would have made before. Just make healthy substitutions.
  • tasiml
    Options
    Do you like fish? Maybe grill/bake some fish with some oven roasted veggies and oven roasted potatoes....
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i made bacon bbq shrimp (hungry girl cookbook) with hazelnut & lemon greenbeans(biggest loser cookbook) with brown rice for dinner last night VERY YUMMY..... you could look on www.hungrygirl.com for recipes everything is under 200 calories ... GOOD LUCK
  • tasiml
    Options
    this was really good - set oven to 400, cut red potatoes into small pieces, drizzle with olive oil, then season with basil, pepper, sage, garlic, parsley and a little salt... I liked them because it baked crispy on the outside (not fries) but still really good. :smile:
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I got the BEST fish from a local grocery here and now it's all I can think of...I got fresh salmon filets, 6ozs about, and broiled them on the top rack of the oven for 20 minutes. I am NOT kidding you...I thought I died and went to heaven. The bonus was watching my 6 year old daughter eat it (she eats noodles and cheese basically! Ick) and saying that it was so good she'd "marry it". lol She is her mother's daughter.

I had 1/2 cup of Near East whole grain wheat pilaf and fresh snap peas on the side. another good cut of fish is swordfish if you can get it in your area. Again...broil for 20 minutes on top rack with a squirt of lemon and EVOO. Yummy.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    What is your opinion of fake crab? I make a crab salad with light mayo (from olive oil) and dill with red onion, mozarella and a little bit of lemon juice. Sometimes I put garlic powder in it. It's very low on carbs and adds a nice side to meals.

Do you follow any cooking blogs? I find several good ideas on the ones I follow. One of my favorite things about this process has been finding new recipes and trying them out.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Yum! Fake crab is awesome in a lot of stuff. I jsut had seafood crepes for lunch 111 calories per crepe. Add a salad and it rocked.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Now I must figure out how to make crepes so I can try this. (I continually fail at them. haha.)
  • Buzzkitty1
    Options
    Tonight we're having grilled chicken salads. Fresh green leaf lettuce, other salad veggies. I marinate boneless breasts in light ceaser, then bake them and slice them and serve it warm on the salad with croutons, a tablespoon of sliced almonds, and ranch dressing I make from the packet, light mayo and skim milk. Even the kids snarf this meal down.
    I'll make a whole roasted chicken, and then make soup from the leftovers.
    Sunday night we had grilled lean steak, baked potato and steamed cauliflower.
    Another favorite of my kids is steelhead trout. It looks much like salmon, but is milder, I think. I will throw that in the grill basket and serve with some steamed veggies, maybe some brown rice. I even grill in January in NH. :)
    I couldn't do this if I didn't come up with different things to eat on a regular basis. I get lots of ideas watching the Food Network, too. You can tweak almost any recipe and make it light/lighter.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    When Hubby and I get tired of Chicken we usually eat Flank steak or we go for sushi... If you stick with the tuna sushis then they are lower in calories and very yummy
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Now I must figure out how to make crepes so I can try this. (I continually fail at them. haha.)

Use a 7 inch pan, make sure to spray with pam, heat it up first but not TOO hot. 1/4 cup of crepe mix at a time, make sure to swirl the mix around to make it as thin as possible...about 2 minutes each side. Waaalaaaa! Make sure you have a nice, thin spatula to flip them with. I like them better with sweet filling but the seafood filling was pretty darn good. ;)