Study finds organic food is no better on vitamins, nutrients

drmerc
drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member

I'm shocked... not

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I knew that long before this study took place. An apple is an apple is an apple. If you change whether or not you spray pesticides on it, it doesn't change how it grows. It just changes the amount of pesticides used (and therefore the number of pests present on the apple).
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Duh, organic means no chemicals and pesticides. It has nothing to do with vitamins and nutrients and everything to do with healthier living.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    I thought the idea with organic wasn't so much about what it added nutrient-wise to the food, but what it lacked fertilizer/pesticide/genetic mutation-wise.
  • For a lot of folks the reasons for organic farming have more to do with the farming practices and the impact on the soil/environement than it does with the end product
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Yeah duh! I love how they are trying to divert the fact that it's the pesticides/chemicals that are doing our organic bodies harm....Like I always say, "we are organic creatures...you can't water a plant with gasoline and expect it to live".
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Concept of organic farming completely lost on OP
  • ablazeoflife
    ablazeoflife Posts: 169 Member
    Sure, but even if it has the same vitamin levels - it doesn't have the same genetic structure as GMO and we don't know what that genetic structure can do to our bodies long-term. It also doesn't have the pesticides and chemicals all over it which it by itself a good reason to go organic when possible. Not to mention that the taste is far more potent when organic than when it is huge full of liquid. Prime examples: strawberries and ginger. lol
  • I heard that this morning on the news coming into work... That food is so pricey too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I love when people get upset about the chemicals in fruits/vegetables, then go crack open that can of diet coke or make the box of Mac-n-cheese. Even pills like water pills for bloating are another way of adding crap to our bodies. I don't eat 100% clean, so I don't worry about being petty over it.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Organic is the avoidance of unnatural chemicals going into our food, our soil and our water. If you design something to kill, eventually it's going to cause harm somewhere else. It's likewise a process of responsible land management and animal husbandry. it's also the conscientious use of our natural resources.

Anyone who thought that just because something was organic automatically increased the vitamins hasn't looked into it fully, doesn't care or it's not on their radar. vitamins aside, I do believe that they taste better than the conventionally grown products, largely because they are allowed to ripen naturally vs. forcing them to ripen on a truck by introducing gasses. I find that I also appreciate the food more, mainly because I know how hard it is to grow produce organically. I have my own garden at home, and dang it if it's not frustrating to spend time and effort only to have bugs eat up your crop.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    I love when people get upset about the chemicals in fruits/vegetables, then go crack open that can of diet coke or make the box of Mac-n-cheese. Even pills like water pills for bloating are another way of adding crap to our bodies. I don't eat 100% clean, so I don't worry about being petty over it.

Agreed about the soda and mac n cheese, which I don't drink or eat. Water pills can be natural as long as you are buying them from a natural herbal source, which I do...
  • I read this on the metro this morning and was more shocked people actually thought it made a difference, nutritionally speaking! People need to learn the definitions of words instead of blindly following what they *think* is healthier.

That being said, I do try to buy local and organic when possible, just because I like helping local farmers :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    People need to learn the definitions of words instead of blindly following what they *think* is healthier.

This is why I hate the word "healthy". It's not a specific word. Diet coke and water are not the same "healthiness" just because they both have zero calories, but for some people, "healthiness" means how many calories are in a certain food. When someone makes a claim like "X is healthier than Y" or "Z is a healthy food" I usually find that they have almost no knowledge of nutrition or food production.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member

I had a friend who would only eat organic because she was worried about poisons.... and then smoke cigarettes. Not even natural tobacco rollies, but arsenic/cyanide/everyothernastyontheinfomercials laced cigarettes.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    The real difference maker is with livestock. There are nutrition differences between grain fed and free range livestock. I didn't bother clicking on the link, but whoever funded that study is an idiot. Next they're going to do a study on whether filtered water quenches thirst as well as unfiltered.
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    I try to buy organic so I don't eat the pesticides and other possible poisons. While I understand there other poisons and toxins in my life and might as well control the ones I can.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Fox News, bringing us the what everyone already knew
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I'm not surprised by the title that the OP of this thread is someone that I'm ignoring. :laugh:

But my comment on the topic is that it's about avoiding poison, not about getting more nutrients.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Fox News, bringing us the what everyone already knew

yeah, and so did every other major news source today besides foxnews...
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    I buy organic for several reasons:

1) No pesticides
    2) No artificial fertilizers
    3) No GM foods
    4) Many more options for heirloom products which taste way better than general stuff.

Plus , for number 5) in my area, our organic shop stocks anything it can grown locally, then tries to get the rest in the USA. It does have some imported foods, but the majority are not. So this is cutting down on transport costs, supporting our local economy and I bet the apple grown 10 minutes down the road and on my shelf the next day has one or two more vitamins left that the apple that flew in from New Zealand.