Green Tea Are the advantages of drinking real

Options
Hi

I've decided to try drinking green tea to help detox and hopefully my weight loss. Does anyone know if the advantages of drinking it are real because I need them to be to make up for the taste. :smile:

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've read one study that said drinking a cup of green tea daily helped participants lose up to 8 lbs in a year. One study is not proof but many people find green tea curbs their cravings. If you don't like it, I'd try jasmine tea or white tea. Those are a bit more mild.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think it's way overhyped as a weight loss tool. I suppose that if you replace some sugary drink with unsweetened green tea, that would benefit weight loss, but otherwise it's all hype.

Don't force yourself to consume things you hate. You won't be able to sustain it. Plenty of other choices available!
  • Jenn3MRB
    Jenn3MRB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am switching to green tea to and trying to cut the coffee..ugggg but I find the blueberry green tea or the mint green tea very good. Maybe if you add a slice of lemon to the tea , that might help.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight loss?

Yes they are real, but very very minimal.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    A friend of mine swears by it...!

But then there's no harm in trying it...green tea is good for you! :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've decided to try drinking green tea to help detox and hopefully my weight loss. Does anyone know if the advantages of drinking it are real because I need them to be to make up for the taste. :smile:

Green tea has caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant (raises metabolism a little bit) and like all stimulants an appetite suppressant. Other than that, there are really no PROVEN advantages to green tea over other unsweetened very-low-calorie caffeinated beverages like black coffee.

If you are not currently using a caffeinated beverage, one might help you, but keep in mind that getting the caffeine monkey off your back (if you ever choose to give it up - personally I'm perfectly happy drinking coffee every morning) can be unpleasant.
  • ainsley23
    ainsley23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey love, theres no magic potion but it has a lot of health benefits, full of antioxidants etc. If you're wanting to give it a go there are flavoured green teas, i've got green tea with mango and strawberry its delicious x
  • SheikFanel
    Options
    There's more to tea than what you usually find in the stores, and usually its rather...boring and bland. The way to go is loose leaf tea and there are many different flavors. Teavana is very good but expensive. They have all sorts of different teas and they will explain which tea is good for what. For instance, they have weightloss tea. I haven't tried the weightloss tea myself but their flavored green tea and herbal tea are my favorites.

If you want tea that is not expensive yet still tasty, check out local tea places. If not, this is the tea expert I turn to The Pleasure of Tea aka TPOT (http://www.pleasuresoftea.com/). Her tea is a lot more affordable yet still delicious. She travels all around Long Island at street fairs selling tea and also sells on her website. She as well as Teavana both have decaffeinated tea.

I only drink tea, water and almond milk..and the almond milk is really only for my cereal. I do not consume soda or drinks with hefty calories. So the tea is great for the fruity flavor you may be craving and its very good for you.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's better than drinking pop.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't drink it. It's not some miracle weight loss tool. There's plenty of other ways to get the beneficial antioxidants in.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink some ridiculous amount a day to get the "weight loss" benefits that they say it has. I think it's like 12 cups or something like that.
    Green tea has caffeine.

You can get the decaf and get the same health benefits from the tea.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When the green tea craze first started a few years ago my best friend at the time told me "Drink this and you will lose weight" and she became obsessed with everything green tea. Will it make you lose weight? No, but I do try to add a cup in a day and count it towards my water intake. But I like it - dont drink it if you don't like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Green tea is an acquired taste (IMO).

The 2 "fruitiest" green teas I've tried: Lipton Pyramid - Mandarin Orange & Lipton Superfruit Red Goji Raspberry. These are really mild as green teas go.

Tea is good for you - weight loss attributes are overstated though.
  • Egipson1985
    Egipson1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm using the green tea capsules to help curb appetite. So far so good, but I have also increased my daily water consumption. I also take Guarana to give me an extra boost of the mornings and before workouts.
  • mrsringor2011
    mrsringor2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im in love with Stash Mint Green tea. If you love mint then thats the tea to drink. And I love Liptons Green Tea Superfruit line. I liked the coconut one and now drinking the white mangosteen and peach green tea. Both are fruity and not much of the green tea taste.
    I second the Teavana suggestion.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are supposedly antioxidant benefits of green tea. I drink a lot of it, as I'm trying to cut my artificial sweetener intake, of which I had a lot of in regular tea and coffee; I've simply replaced most of my regular coffee and teas with green tea. At the moment I'm drinking green tea flavoured with orange which is pretty good. I'm not sure if it's made a difference to my weight loss, probably not. But I do like the taste; I lived in Japan for a year during high school and I think it's quite an acquired taste, so if you drink more, you'll probably get used to it and start to like it. There is a little bit of caffeine in green tea, but definitely not as much as is in black tea or coffee, so if you drink a lot of tea and coffee and then make the switch, you might go into a bit of caffeine withdrawal...