Best After workout snacks

Options
What are the best after workout snacks? :drinker:

Replies

• bashasmom
    Options
    i like fruit after i work out. or a crunchy veggie like celery or carrot sticks!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Something packed with protein and also some carbs. Lots of people like shakes b/c they are easy but also b/c the protein is in a liquid form and gets to your body faster/easier. You could have a hard boiled egg, some chicken, cheese, fruit.
  • Darkraven
    Options
    I like a cheese stick or my whey protein shake. The nice thing about shakes is like others have said they absorb quicker and are pretty nicely balanced with carbs, protein and calories. Takes the thought out of it which is high on my list of likes!
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    protine shake...
    One scoop of the Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - Chocolate is only 93.3 calories... does your muscles good
    heres a link
    http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2108294&cp=3593187

Sip on it starting about 5 min before you stop workout... Keep sipping it within 30 min of finishing your workout... then shower :drinker:
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    If it's after a hard session that includes a lot of cardio, I definitely like to refuel with some fruit or carbs, because my glycogen levels are low and need to be replenished. I also like to add some protein. My favorite is a banana or apple with peanut butter. If it's a harder session involving more weight lifting and less cardio, I like protein shakes (chocolate protein powder, a little peanut butter and/or a half banana, some rice milk and water). If it's a light workout, I tend to stick with a piece of fruit. :)
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I like to have a peanut butter toast with a banana, a large glass of chocolat milk, a fruit smoothie or an energy granola-bar. Unless you are to eat a full meal soon after, look for a snack that is 200-500 calories.

As Arienna said, try to have protein but most important carbs. Chances are you burned all the carbs you had readily available during your workout so you need to refuel after exercice.

"Post-workout is the one time that high glycemic carbs are preferred. This term refers to carbs that are high on the glycemic index or higher in natural sugars. The glycemic index is a measure of how quickly a food raises blood sugar and hence, insulin levels. Normally, it is best to eat lower glycemic foods, so as not to initiate an insulin spike. But post-workout, the exact opposite is true. The elevated insulin levels will help to drive nutrients into the muscle cells. Don’t think this makes it ok to eat a candy bar! Go for fruit and other natural sources of dietary sugar.

The key is maximizing the window of opportunity that occurs immediately after exercise, when the muscle is especially receptive to nutrients and the blood flow to the exercised muscles remains high. The goal post workout is to restore muscle glycogen. The body will even break down muscle tissue for this purpose, if carbohydrates are not available. And, we don’t want to lose muscle! Muscle is our friend – muscle burns fat!"

Source: http://turbokick.com/index.php?content=Article_Pre_And_Post_Workout_Meals_F
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Chocolate milk! :drinker: