Keeping track of water intake - does tea count?

Options
Hi all!

Question on tracking the recommended water intake - I don't drink plain water unless I'm working out, but I'm constantly drinking unsweetened green tea all day, every day. I get at least the recommended daily amount of water in my tea - that counts, right? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I wanted some other points of view on this. Thanks!

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I believe that counts! Way to go on drinking all that green tea - I keep trying to tell myself that I like green tea and should drink it but I am a terrible liar.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should count green tea towards your water because it has caffeine in it and that does the opposite of hydrating you.
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes!

"Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration." - WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I always count my green tea, like you I drink at least 3 teas a day, and find it difficult to dirnk plain water unless working out..
  • rnaster
    Options
    Do you think black tea counts, too? I am constantly drinking unsweet black tea. At least 4 large glasses yesterday and already 2 today.
  • SheikFanel
    Options
    Yes!

"Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration." - WebMD

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages

Well this changes my diary completely! lol
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you think black tea counts, too? I am constantly drinking unsweet black tea. At least 4 large glasses yesterday and already 2 today.
    If you make it with water it has water in it and it counts towards your hydration.

Many people never drink any pure water, they don't appear to shrivel up and die.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you make it with water it has water in it and it counts towards your hydration.

Many people never drink any pure water, they don't appear to shrivel up and die.

This is true. Also, much of people's fluid intake comes from foods as well