What should I be eating?

Options
I am starting week 3 Post-op Lapband surgery....Can someone please give me an example of what my meal plan for a typical day should be at this point?? According to the calculations on this site I'm not getting enought calories? Help!!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't your doctor be giving you guidance on this one???
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't your doctor be giving you guidance on this one???

^^^^ This.

You aren't on a normal diet because you have chosen surgery. Surgery falls outside the norms this site can honestly support. Your doctor should have set you up with a diet or given you a referral to a nutritionist as part of the lap band surgery package.

The lap band helps control your appetite, the next thing is to develop the tools to control the quality of your intake.

Having said that, in general, you're going to have to work to get calorie-dense quality foods in you if you choose not to get specialized advice. That means making sure your fats, carbohydrates, and proteins are in balance at the very least.
  • dmcanallen
    Options
    So I should basically not worry about getting enought calories and just concentrate on getting enough protein?
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I think a repost with lap band question in the title may also call out to the lap band peeps that may have some ideas as well.

Plus, I do agree with the other posters that you should also be having this conversation with your doctor.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    There are a few groups that are about lapband. They might be able to share personal stories and give advice.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There are a few groups that are about lapband. They might be able to share personal stories and give advice.

^This. There are also websites out there that are dedicated to weightloss surgery topics, such as www.obesityhelp.com. You might have a better time trying to get the answers you are seeking if you visit one of those sites.
  • HJarvisGann
    Options
    Hi. When you're on a lapband, your stomach has just shrunk. Its hard to wrap your mind around it. Your stomach is physically smaller and can only take in small amounts of foods. Your goal should be small portion foods and eating much more often than traditional eating schedules. You need to get in the habit of eating protein, veggies, and starch that are on the glycemic index list of foods that will keep you fuller for longer. Slow burning and filling. Drink plenty of water. Don't choose dense and high calorie food. You need to think about the future skinny you. How does that person eat? Did your doctor's staff give you some recipes or some websites that would be beneficial? If they didn't, call them and ask. They will know. When in doubt, try a chocolate protein shake. Yummy!