Gastrc bypass - FAIL!

Options
Hi ya'll sorry to say I did have a gastric bypass 6 years ago, and today I weigh just as much as the day I went under the knife. My stomach is still small but my body went through changes by getting pregnant too soon after the surgery, not exercisig and such. I have a problem with portion control, I cant eat a lot at a time, but it just takes me longer to eat the whole plate of spaghetti or that value meal from the fast food store. So I'm still consuming way to many calories and not working it off. I want to lose the 100 lbs again! I am going to be married next summer and I will have two sons that are the same age and I need all the strength and energy to catch with to them, and this past holiday weekend was a wake up call! I also DON'T WANT TO BE A FAT BRIDE! So I need some help, some friends to not chastise me and keep me going! I've had too many people look at me and say " I thought you had THAT SURGERY and can't take it anymore! Thanks!

Replies

• Onmynewadventure
    Options
    Have you tried the 5 day pouch test to regain control? Eating spaghetti and value meals aren't the best meal choices for us either. I'm surprised your not dumping.

You can do it, you just have to get back on the wagon
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest with ourselves. The surgery does one thing and one thing only - it gets your appetite under control long enough for you to adapt to the lifestyle change that is to come. Trouble is, you never followed through with the lifestyle change that you needed to.

It's time to take on that change. Fresh start, starting today.

1. Figure out how many calories you need to eat to start losing weight, and start holding yourself accountable to that number of calories. The sooner you knuckle down and start this process, the sooner you'll start losing weight.
    2. Get thee to the gym or your chosen form of exercise and start a healthy exercise regimen immediately. It's a great accompaniment to losing weight, because you are also building muscle tone and increasing cardiovascular capacity. It also buys you more calories you can eat, which makes the whole calorie control thing a little easier.
    3. Work on getting your macronutrients (fat, carbs, proteins) in balance. You'll find that doing so leaves you less hungry AND forces you to start making better, more well-thought-out food choices.

Only you can do it, and only when you really want to.

Want to do it today?

Go make it happen.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Hm. If you don't want to be "chastised", be careful about posting stuff like this on a Fitness Internet Forum. People will be brutally honest with you here, and will make you seriously question if you are really ready to lose the weight, or if you're just looking for people to sympathise with you. . If you are serious about doing all the changes necessary, you'll succeed, and people will be cheering you on. If you're looking for hand-holding, be careful who you ask. :wink:

Change means logging all your food and exercise daily, honestly and with a mindset that you are learning and changing. Changing.

Exercising regularly as hard as you possibly can.

No excuses. Your excuses have gotten you where you are.

Start being honest and accountable.

Figure out why you are eating. Because it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.

• Onmynewadventure
    Options
    My fitness, there is more to it than that. Our bodies do not absorb nutrients and vitamins like before. Our diets are fairly strict. By her post, it appears that she has strayed away from the program. Yes, I agree, it is a lifestyle change... but it is also a physical change.

For those still on the right path and following the program, caloric intake is something that we don't have to watch. It's the fat, sugar and protein. I'm lucky if I get in 800 calories in a day.

She just needs to go back and start over with the guidelines given to her after surgery
  • iheartredsox80
    iheartredsox80 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nope not looking for a hand to hold just want to be helped made ACCOUNTABLE AGAIN! Thanks everyone!
  • iheartredsox80
    Options
    Yeah I dont dump unless its pure sugar like ice cream but I dont eat those. Tell me more about the 5 day thing! Thanks!
  • iheartredsox80
    Options
    Yes I can! See ya'll this is the honesty I really needed! I got this surgery thinking it was a "cure" and had no support after! Thanks again!

It's all about basic nutrition and exercise, just go out there and do it!
  • iheartredsox80
    Options
    Nope I dont wan't anyone to hold my hand I want the honesty to help me be accountable! I've said plenty of harsh things in the forum I should have been saying to myself actually! Thanks again!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My fitness, there is more to it than that. Our bodies do not absorb nutrients and vitamins like before. Our diets are fairly strict. By her post, it appears that she has strayed away from the program. Yes, I agree, it is a lifestyle change... but it is also a physical change.

For those still on the right path and following the program, caloric intake is something that we don't have to watch. It's the fat, sugar and protein. I'm lucky if I get in 800 calories in a day.

She just needs to go back and start over with the guidelines given to her after surgery

Yep

Are you on your supplements? Sublingual B12? Calcium? There are some serious long term health issues if you are not taking care of business...way beyond just gaining weight back.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    the gastric bypass did not "FAIL".

You failed to change. It is not a magic bullet and it takes the same determination and strength to change as traditional weightloss surgery.

Go back to the basics you were taught before your surgery and live the "change" you want to have.

1. Don't drink during meals or 30 min before or after meals.
    2. Eat a dense protein first before carbohydrates, eat twice as much protein as carb. and avoid "slider foods"
    3. Eat slowly and don't eat past full
    4. Don't eat between meals
    5. Eat food that provide good nutrients not junk
    6. Exercise

Good luck--you can do it!
  • thatTOPSlady
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is great for support but if you'd like some real life, weekly, in person accountability, may I suggest joining a TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) group? I've lost 79 pounds with the support of TOPS and I love it. You can find a meeting near you at www.tops.org (By the way, TOPS is non-profit, doesn't endorse any fad diets and isn't trying to sell anything. Just support, motivation, recognition and accountability :)
  • iheartredsox80
    Options

Yep

Are you on your supplements? Sublingual B12? Calcium? There are some serious long term health issues if you are not taking care of business...way beyond just gaining weight back.

-- Yes I am still faithful on my supplements, or my hair and nails would literally fall out. My biggest health issues is now I have high BP, and it's all due to the weight gain.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hm. If you don't want to be "chastised", be careful about posting stuff like this on a Fitness Internet Forum. People will be brutally honest with you here, and will make you seriously question if you are really ready to lose the weight, or if you're just looking for people to sympathise with you. . If you are serious about doing all the changes necessary, you'll succeed, and people will be cheering you on. If you're looking for hand-holding, be careful who you ask. :wink:

Change means logging all your food and exercise daily, honestly and with a mindset that you are learning and changing. Changing.

Exercising regularly as hard as you possibly can.

No excuses. Your excuses have gotten you where you are.

Start being honest and accountable.

Figure out why you are eating. Because it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.

love this, i think this describes me to a T and whole lot of other people...

and good luck to OP, you can do this! if you need more supportive friends, feel free to add me...:smile:
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are taking responsibility and ready to get this in gear. :) Your title of your post insinuates it was the surgery that failed...but the body of your post says you realize it is your responsibility at this point. :)
    Good for you!
    Get your body moving, follow the nutritional information for your surgery (IDK what those are but I know they are VERY important!) and kick this in the butt! :)
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! I work in a family practice office and we see this everyday. FOCUS_ set your goals and put your mind to it- I know you can! Think about it this way- it is your life and you ARE worth it!
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I started by shutting my mouth and moving my *kitten*. But that only gets you so far. At some point you have to learn how to eat. I think thats the main issue with allot of the people I see on MFP. I eat much better today than I did 1.5 years ago but diet is an everyday struggle. Moving your *kitten* can make up for a poor diet but at some point we all have to learn to eat better.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes I can! See ya'll this is the honesty I really needed! I got this surgery thinking it was a "cure" and had no support after! Thanks again!

It's all about basic nutrition and exercise, just go out there and do it!

A friend of my sister's got the surgery and the same thing happened to him (he went from "Wow you lost so much weight!!!" to "Didnt he have that surgery? Why is he fat again?"). I agree - the follow up is extremely important and should be pushed! Good luck - you can do this!
  • BARBY1956
    Options
    the gastric bypass did not "FAIL".

You failed to change. It is not a magic bullet and it takes the same determination and strength to change as traditional weightloss surgery.

Go back to the basics you were taught before your surgery and live the "change" you want to have.

1. Don't drink during meals or 30 min before or after meals.
    2. Eat a dense protein first before carbohydrates, eat twice as much protein as carb. and avoid "slider foods"
    3. Eat slowly and don't eat past full
    4. Don't eat between meals
    5. Eat food that provide good nutrients not junk
    6. Exercise

Good luck--you can do it!

This is so right... I had gastric bypass in 1999 and have been able to keep within a few pounds of my goal weight of 155, I'm 5'8". You have to use the surgery as a tool or it won't work. As soon as I put on a few pounds over what I want to weigh I put the brakes on and reevaluate what I have to do to get it under control again. I have learned to do this over the years. This past December I had foot surgery and wasn't able to get around for several months. This is when I put on 20 lbs. In fact I found MFP while I was bored and surfing the net while on sick leave for my surgery. I started using it and lost 12 lbs with about 7 left to get back to my goal. So you have to work the gastric bypass surgery how it was intended. I'm sure you have went through a lot with the surgery why would you want to throw it all away.

Keep trying, and start over with the instructions given by the above poster. But first you have to decide if you really want to put the work in to lose weight. Good Luck.