Whole Foods Must Haves

Options
A Whole Foods just opened up in my city. We are going there today for the first time. I was wondering what are some Whole Foods must haves on your list? We are going there for grass fed beef and produce, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I mostly go for the produce and meat, which is usually much higher quality than at my local store! But their 365 brand dry goods and great and fairly affordable, too.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    Options
    Jealous! Wish I had a Whole Foods near me. I'd prob look for produce, Ezekial bread and what types of supplements they have
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love their salmon, feta, and spinach burger patties. I mainly go for the meat and produce also.
  • michelle2482
    michelle2482 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They have an olive loaf bread that I absolute love. Also, their pre-marinated salmon is pretty yummy too! I also indulge in dark chocolate from there. They have a great selection of quality chocolate bars :)
  • michmill98
    Options
    Meat, some produce (usually the dirty dozen/15 items that my local Kroger doesn't carry as organic), the 365 brand chicken and beef broths, quality chocolate bars and their amazing cheese counter.

Also a good place to find some harder to find and/or unique foods that a typical supermarket doesn't carry such as black or red rice. They also have a wide variety of flours, nuts, spices, etc available in bulk bins so you can get as much or as little as you want. Great for spices that you don't need much of for a recipe but don't want to commit to a regular sized jar.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    365 brand almond butter. It's cheaper than other brands I've seen (though still expensive...) and is so so so good.

and also their chocolate. I haven't tried any of their meats yet but I will!
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started going to whole foods on a regular basis for fruits/veggies and meat. The produce lasts so much longer than when I buy it from the other stores. My usual list for whole foods is fruits, veggies, chicken sausage (since my regular store doesn't have it), organic pasta, and cheese. And some days when I have a little extra calories, I go and get just a tiny bit of their mac and cheese from the hot bar....it's the BEST...it's my little cheat treat.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You're going to love this store! I've been there three times since it opened. The only problems are that the parking is tight and its very crowded.
  • katys_workinforit
    Options
    I also like their freezer section to keep a few frozen meals on hand for those lazy or running late days. They have some great healty options!
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said: anything from their 365 brand, grass fed beef is awesome but could be pricey, organic produce, freshly ground nuts, bulk cereal/granola.
    If yours is big enough they have a great hot/cold food area. Their soups are to die for.

Sometimes I have good finds on wine.

Make sure you print their coupons or grab the ones at the store. And enjoy the samples!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Rolled rye flakes, rolled oats, almond butter and good coffees. Oh, and wonderful cheeses and artichokes that are worth the money. :happy:
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Everything! Like some have said, they can be a bit pricey on some things but lives up to the "get what you pay for" saying. My favorites are their meats, fresh baked goods, high quality produce and cheese (when I could eat it). Enjoy!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like there sushi to go
  • denvervegan
    denvervegan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The bulk section is awesome. I buy grains, flour, couscous, nuts, dried fruits, and spices in bulk there.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Olives from their olive bar are awesome! They do have a terrific cheese department, and their selection of vegetarian and/or gluten-free stuff is much broader than the regular grocery store.
  • LessJITT
    LessJITT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I am in a rush for lunch or going to a child's sporting event I live on the roasted brussels sprouts & kale salad from the deli. I also have two growing boys that are carboholics and they can eat an entire loaf of their pretzel bread in under 30 minuters. Lastly, their roasted chickens are always on sale on Tuesday's so dinner is healthy & ready-to-go!!! Enjoy! :drinker:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Heirloom tomatoes, shirataki tofu noodles, bulk sprouted lentils, wild salmon.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like there sushi to go

Yes they have the best "to go" sushi!! I also go their for my brown rice protein & acai berry smoothie packets! You need a day when you can just go browse around to find you stables! Have fun!!
  • mtwudfit
    mtwudfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you like unsweetened Green Tea, then they have the Sencha Shots by ItoEn. They're about 6 oz and really help suppress appetite and give you energy without crashiing. They're in the Bottled Tea section (not refrigerated). Also, if you happen to be doing low carb, their Applewood smoked bacon at the deli is awesome.
  • babydoll315
    babydoll315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Grade B Maple Syrup!!