CALORIE INTAKE

Options
I HAVE A QUESTION IF MY DAILY CALORIE INTAKE IS 1200 AND I BURN OFF BETWEEN 100-500 , DO I SUPPOSE TO REPLACE THE CALORIES THAT I BURN , BECAUSE WHEN IT ALWAYS SAYS THAT I HAVE EARNED EXTRA CALORIES. CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat at least most of your burnt cals back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The initial caloric intake MFP gives you assumes no working out. So you will lose your goal amount of weight/week without working out eating that much. When you workout you increase the size of your deficit (a larger deficit is not always best) in order to hit your weekly goal you should eat those cals back.
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just learned that myself!
  • 2Shar
    2Shar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand it, you are suppose to eat your calories back! However, I have a Fitbit, MFP gave me 188 calories, where as FB gave me 66. For light cleaning (anytime I break a sweat, I count it as exercise! So, the next question could be, how much of those calories do you eat back?
  • tship74
    Options
    I have heard that MFP doubles the calories you actually burn in their estimates. I try and eat half my exercise calories back.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The initial caloric intake MFP gives you assumes no working out. So you will lose your goal amount of weight/week without working out eating that much. When you workout you increase the size of your deficit (a larger deficit is not always best) in order to hit your weekly goal you should eat those cals back.

^^^ths. im a bigger girl with a lot more to lose so i eat at 1300 cals a day and burn around 600-1000 a day 6x a week. I DONT eat my cals back beyond 100 on any given day. Because im bigger i have more fat stores so i can afford to do this for a little while but not for forever. i create about a 1500-1700 cal deficit a day except sundays which i dnt exercise. you want your "NET" cals on ur home page to equal your "goal" cals. So here::

eat 1300 cals...burn 500 your net = 800 cals..you need to eat 500more cals to get your net at 1300 for the end of the day.
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My intake is 1200 that is if I want to maintain my weight. When I work out it adds on extra calories because you burned some and that is what you would need to eat again to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. So I do not eat those “extra” calories they add in from working out.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yes you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories, also there is no need to yell!
  • jlk1996
    Options
    No, you need to be careful. If you eat the calories that you burn your body could get use to that higher calorie intake. when you burn
    100 to 500 calories in a work out you could eat some of the calorie back but I wouldn't eat all of them. You should only loose 1-2 lb
    a week that is a healthy way to loose. If you loose more than that you could start to loose muscle. We exercise to speed up our metabolism, tone, burn calories and become healthier. Why east the calories back after you worked so hard. I am working with a dietitian and this is what she suggest.
  • mstasty1
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS HAVE REALLY BEEN A HELP. I WAS NOT SURE IF I HAD TO EAT BACK THOSE CALORIES AFTER WORKING OUT. I THOUGHT IT WOULD INTERFERE WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS .. THANKS AGAIN :)
  • ogriffix
    Options
    I burn up to 700 calories a day with exercise. If i don't eat them back I feel sketchy, drained, and tired. Then the next day I can't preform as well on my weight training. I also store fat because my body begins to go into starvation mode.