Do you track your water and why?

Options
I am just curious to see the reasons why people do or do not think it is important to track water when tracking calories and exercise.

Personally, I do not track my water because I don't think there is some magic number for how much water I should drink that correlates to fitness or weight loss. I stay hydrated. I drink when I am thirsty or when i feel like my body needs it. That's it.

This works for me...what about you?

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    I don't track it, but I would say that I take in roughly 150 oz. water / day.

You may want to track it to make sure you're taking in enough water.

If you're waiting to feel thirsty, you're waiting to long. Thirst is a sign that the body is thoroughly dehyrdrated.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No because I know I drink "enough". I drink it all throughout the day so it just doesn't seem necessary for me to track.
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    I'm currently on the Game On Diet and I need to drink 3 liters of water a day, so I track it on here.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    No, I don't formally track it. I check my urine color a couple of times a day by glancing at the toilet before flushing, and the "color test" is sufficient to let me know if I've had enough water or am slacking off too much.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but I would say that I take in roughly 150 oz. water / day.

You may want to track it to make sure you're taking in enough water.

If you're waiting to feel thirsty, you're waiting to long. Thirst is a sign that the body is thoroughly dehyrdrated.

I guess I should have worded my post better. i drink water throughout the day, I do not wait until I feel thirsty. What I meant was that I recognize that if I am thirsty or cramping when I run, etc, that i need to drink more water.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not thirsty and your pee is very light, you should be fine. Keep in mind that all fluids count, including those that come from your food.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I track because historically, drinking enough water has been a problem for me. This helps me form the habit, so that I can keep it later, without tracking.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I try to, because if I don't, and am not thinking about it, I will forget to drink anything at all.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I try to as I am trying to increase my water intake. However, I far too often forget to add it.
  • Daneelbel_Lee
    Options
    I must track. I don't like plain water, so keeping track not only helps me remember how much I need to drink (at least), but it reminds me of what I've already drank, which is a boost for me.
  • rickgomez2003
    Options
    I do track it just to make sure i am at a gallon a day.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I track it only because I know I need to drink more water and sometimes struggle reaching the 8 glasses a day. Not because I'm drinking other things, or because I dislike water but I only drink when I'm thirsty, which apparently isn't that often. So I track it because I'm trying to reach that goal of drinking at least 8 glasses a day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't because I know by my urine color that hydration is not a problem.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i always put mine at 8 glasses for the day but i actually drink about 200 oz each day
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I track it, because if nothing else, at least at the end of the day, even if my food choices weren't perfect, I can at least have a little self-pat-on-the-back that I got my water in. :) It also helps remind me to drink it...I'm one of those who will forget to drink anything at all if I'm not paying attention.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I track it, because if nothing else, at least at the end of the day, even if my food choices weren't perfect, I can at least have a little self-pat-on-the-back that I got my water in. :) It also helps remind me to drink it...I'm one of those who will forget to drink anything at all if I'm not paying attention.
    Exactly me! Some days I don't get my water, but some days it is the only thing I get right!
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, just because I drink a ton of water.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't but that's because it's something I never struggle with. I generally have a glass of water in hand at all times and as soon as it's empty I refill it. I keep a water bottle with me when I work out and usually go through it during an hour work out and refill it and drink it all again immediately after. So just guessing, that's something like 150 ounces a day, on average.

If I had a problem with intake, I'd probably track it to keep myself on target.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is not true. Thirst is not always a sign of dehydration. Some people are better at recognizing thirst than others, and for some there can be mild dehydration by the time they recognize that they are thirsty, but it's not true for all.

But if anyone is "thoroughly dehyradrated" they will have more symptoms than just thirst.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am just curious to see the reasons why people do or do not think it is important to track water when tracking calories and exercise.

Personally, I do not track my water because I don't think there is some magic number for how much water I should drink that correlates to fitness or weight loss. I stay hydrated. I drink when I am thirsty or when i feel like my body needs it. That's it.

This works for me...what about you?

I track it because I think it's amusing to see how much water I put in my body.