All my low carbers out there...need some advice!!

Options
Hey All!

I was just trying to find out what people doing low carb tend to do more, and if you have tried both, which has worked better for you?

- high fat/low carb
- moderate fat/low carb (ala south beach)

I do low carb because I have PCOS, but I have been stalling the past couple weeks and wondering if maybe my fat is too high? I am trying hard not to add too much dairy now because of the sat fat and try to stick to eating leaner proteins.

Do you find more success with high fat or moderate to low? There are so many ways to do this, so please let me know how you have found success with this. I usually eat around 100 grams a day, but my fiber is usually up over 30, so that puts me below 100 net carb wise.

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I don't happen to do very well with low carb myself, but I think there may be some Groups out there that have active discussions that could provide you with support.

If you click on the group sub-nav option when looking in the forums and then search for low carb, hopefully there will be some options.

best of luck.
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I tend to stay to a lower carb/moderate fat diet. Most of my fat comes from healthy fats like avocado, olive oil. While my proteins come from lean sources. My carbs are generally fruits/veggies, with the very occassional sweet. I am pretty successful with this type of diet and I feel I have more energy.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    As far as weightloss goes, it will make no difference.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy foods. It's more about the food than the fats. If you are eating omega 3 fats, that is a whole lot better than saturated fats. I work hard to keep the protein up because I lose better, but is is never in exclusion to good quality foods that meet my other nutritional needs.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay to a lower carb/moderate fat diet. Most of my fat comes from healthy fats like avocado, olive oil. While my proteins come from lean sources. My carbs are generally fruits/veggies, with the very occasional sweet. I am pretty successful with this type of diet and I feel I have more energy.

^^^ That
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm on high fat low carb, but honestly as long as I'm meeting my protein goals and under my carbs I don't stress over it too much.
  • hilary57
    Options
    Some days are high fat, some are more moderate. Almost all meat I eat is locally raised, and the beef is 100% grass fed so even the animal fat is pretty good (extra omega 3 ... by a LOT!).

I have more energy when eating moderate carbs/fat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    TBH, I dont even pay much attention to my fat numbers...just calories and carbs. Seems to working for me. My diary is open to all.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy foods. It's more about the food than the fats. If you are eating omega 3 fats, that is a whole lot better than saturated fats. I work hard to keep the protein up because I lose better, but is is never in exclusion to good quality foods that meet my other nutritional needs.

I agree, I eat for the most part a whole food, no processed diet. I eat alot of veggies, but because I have cut out grains and most fruits for now, I noticed I tend to substitute more with dairy and more meat. I have been trying to eat mostly chicken, fish and some lean porks (like tenderloin) or lean beef. I try my best to get the majority of my fat from healthy fats, but when I see my sat fat so high, it makes me nervous! lol I don't want to go overboard cuz because something has no carbs. I believe it is all about nutrition to get healthy, so I want to make sure I am putting the best things in my body that I can.

Damn dairy and meat with its saturated fat lol just wasn't sure if this could be a possible reason for me stalling, trying to tweak my diet before I get frustrated with it!

Edited to say - I just saw the other posts - I too never really thought too much about it before, but like I said I have kinda stalled, so wasn't sure if this could maybe be a culprit.

Do you all stay around a certain amount of carbs, or do really low carb?
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely at a hight fat, but all of my fat comes from whole food sources as well.. no junk. Also my carbs make up only 10 percent of my diet (just switched it to 20 percent yesterday to test my toleration.) You can check out my diary as well for some ideas. For me it works. I'm not losing at a crazy fast rate, but it's steady and I feel whole and healthy for the first time in 10 years.

Really it comes down to listening to your own body... If your stalling, maybe a switch up would be good and change your macros a bit and see what happens. And especially with PCOS, pay attention to your energy levels and how you feel when you make changes.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    All the naysayers about low carbs should read the primal blue print. It's not a diet its an explanation of why we have become overweight and diabetics.... Very eye opening. Just because something is conventional wisdom doesn't make it accurate.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I do 20% carb, 40% fat and protiens.. Has worked for me
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    High fat. I use fat anywhere it makes sense to if you want your food to taste good and try to eat meat with the skin and fat attached and still on the bone (which is kinda hard to find believe it or not). But NO vegetable oils or trans fats...that stuff will kill you.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later read...