Bad run is ruining my day

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and Half and I just feel like if I'm not increasing I'm not doing enough

You're not going to see improvements run-to-run... you'll see them when you look at trends over a longer period of time.
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just focus on one thing at a time. Either the distance or the time. Everyday could be different depending on what is happening in your life. Running is supposed to help get rid of stress. You need to just be happy that you are working out and doing your best. When you feel like you had a bad run, then just tell yourself you will push harder tomorrow, or go home and do something workouts in your living room. Whatever makes you feel better, but don’t stress you are doing great!
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Not new to running just racing. I run 5 days a week every week for the last 6 months :-) I usually run 18 ish miles a week
  • aimiemims
    Options
    A bad run is ALWAYS better than no run! :happy:
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I usually have a terrible run right before a great one. It often depends on my nutrition, the environment, and hydration.

This!
    And it happens! At least you are out there doing it! No failure here! You'll have a good run next time, don't let this bump defeat all the progress you have continued to make!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This....

"You get over it by choosing to get over it.
    Tomorrow is another day."

If you're not having FUN, it's your own darn fault. How about a little self-forgiveness? Move on, and rise to run another day.
    You can do it. Just jump in the pool with the kids, instead.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but a difference of 0.2 miles over a 40minute period is your idea of a "bad run"?!? Seriously! dropping a full mile, or adding over a minute per mile I could see. That or having to walk half of it b/c you're just not feeling it. But 0.2miles?!

...I don't think you've had a real bad run yet.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I run a different route everyday. I have been running for a year and a half and out side for 3 months
    M- I push myself 40 minutes
    T- easy 40 minutes
    W- hill repeats
    Th- off
    F- speed
    S- hour run usually 5.5-6 miles
    So if today, Tuesday, is your easy 40 minute run, then why is it so upsetting that you did it a little more slowly than yesterday's run?
    Looks fine to me! That's not a bad run.

Your schedule looks pretty great, actually, but I'll repeat again that if you're stalling out with your progress, think about periodizing instead of continuing with the status quo. Pick a race in the future, spend some weeks/months building up a base of higher mileage but less pressure to work on very intense speed, spend some weeks doing more intense speed work and hill work, rest/taper, race and PR!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Wednesday: Maintain a race pace (tempo run) for 3 miles
    Which race pace? There are different paces for different distances. The definition of a tempo run is one run at LT for approximately 20 minutes, which is roughly the pace you can run for an hour. For some, this will be HM pace, for others it will be 10K pace.
    Thursday: Run at your lactic thresshold (the fastest pace you can maintain) for 2 miles
    LT pace is defined as above, not the fastest pace you can maintain for 2 miles. That would be your two mile race pace (approximately) which is faster than 5K pace and probably way faster than LT pace.
    Over the next few weeks, increase total mileage by no more than 10%
    10% increase every week adds up too fast. Increase by 10%, hold for two week, step back to lower week total, then bump back up again with an increase. Hold for two weeks, then step back down again. The body has to get used to the mileage you are asking it to run. Increasing ever week, it will never become accustomed to the stress you are putting it under and is likely to cause an overuse injury.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I run a different route everyday. I have been running for a year and a half and out side for 3 months
    T- easy 40 minutes
    W- hill repeats
    Th- off
    F- speed

So, wait...
    Yesterday was a "push myself" run, which you did 3.5 miles in 40 minutes, right?
    Today was an "easy" run in which you did 3.2 miles in 40 minutes, right?

That doesn't make sense...
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Having completed a dirty girl this year, I can tell you, don't stress it. The obstacles are spread out in such a way, that the only way you will run the entire 5k is if you avoid each obstacle. Further, each obstacle gets so backed up, timing yourself is pointless. Have FUN with it. Don't stress about. Get dirty and doall the obstacles. It's a blast!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Which race pace? There are different paces for different distances. The definition of a tempo run is one run at LT for approximately 20 minutes, which is roughly the pace you can run for an hour. For some, this will be HM pace, for others it will be 10K pace.

I didn't come up with the schedule... But I think he meant a tempo run, not race pace.
    10% increase every week adds up too fast

I think that was the point he made... Increase by "no more than" 10%

Also, to the OP: It sounds as though you do have some idea of a schedule but it's not very specific. If you're getting upset over a small distance difference, then you should definitely look into getting a HRM, and setting some baseline stats for yourself right now so that you can more accurately measure your improvement (or perhaps lack thereof). And as I said before, hydration/nutrition/temperature/humidity for me will be the difference between a great run and an awful one. I ran an EASY 10k the day after I had to quit after a mile. It happens.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Here is a good article to read on how to train and the purpose of different kinds of runs.
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articles

Also, once you have done a race you can calculate optimum training paces here. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator
  • jellebeandesigns
    Options
    That's my problem it was probably the most fun I've had in a few weeks (out nearly two weeks sick) I loved it just sooo disappointed
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not new to running just racing. I run 5 days a week every week for the last 6 months :-) I usually run 18 ish miles a week

Actually, this would be exactly how I'd describe a "new" runner. The first year or two of running is considered a "new runner". I think you've received a lot of good advice here and I agree with them, you don't know a bad run yet. Puking, emergency bathroom runs, runs where you hit the wall and can't take another step...those are more in the "bad run" category...slightly slower than the day before on day #4 in a row of running, well, I think that's to be expected. It seems to me that you're running too many days in a row. 5 days in a row is a lot. I run half marathons and run 3 days on, one off, long run, then one off or an easy run. I always make sure I have rest on either side of my long runs, or at most, a recovery run the day after a long run, not one where I "push myself', nor would I do speed work the day before my long run. Checkout Hal Higdon's training plans, you may benefit from mixing up which days you do what and see more improvement that way.
  • jellebeandesigns
    Options
    I'm sorry, but a difference of 0.2 miles over a 40minute period is your idea of a "bad run"?!? Seriously! dropping a full mile, or adding over a minute per mile I could see. That or having to walk half of it b/c you're just not feeling it. But 0.2miles?!

...I don't think you've had a real bad run yet.

Like I said adding 30 seconds to my mile and dropping another .2 miles sucks! It's disappointing
  • jellebeandesigns
    Options
    T- easy 40 minutes
    W- hill repeats
    Th- off
    F- speed

So, wait...
    Yesterday was a "push myself" run, which you did 3.5 miles in 40 minutes, right?

I was pushing myself up a hill yesterday :) just ran west first and east home today I ran east and then west to see the mountains on my way home. It was rolling low hills today and a big hill yesterday
  • jellebeandesigns
    Options

Actually, this would be exactly how I'd describe a "new" runner. The first year or two of running is considered a "new runner". I think you've received a lot of good advice here and I agree with them, you don't know a bad run yet. Puking, emergency bathroom runs, runs where you hit the wall and can't take another step...those are more in the "bad run" category...slightly slower than the day before on day #4 in a row of running, well, I think that's to be expected. It seems to me that you're running too many days in a row. 5 days in a row is a lot. I run half marathons and run 3 days on, one off, long run, then one off or an easy run. I always make sure I have rest on either side of my long runs, or at most, a recovery run the day after a long run, not one where I "push myself', nor would I do speed work the day before my long run. Checkout Hal Higdon's training plans, you may benefit from mixing up which days you do what and see more improvement that way.

I run 3 days and then 2 days that's not five in a row. Mon, tues, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday are run days
  • spikefoot
    Options
    I have been running primarily 5km for a couple months and sometimes 10km. I am amazed at how much rest, nutrition, sleep and willpower can influence your run.

When I have slower ones I just tell myself that it is my body doing what it needs to do. Sure that is oversimplified but after a few bad ones I usually then beat my personal best, sustain a higher speed, get less tired etc.. the finish time is not the only indicator of a successful run.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    T- easy 40 minutes
    W- hill repeats
    Th- off
    F- speed

So, wait...

I was pushing myself up a hill yesterday :) just ran west first and east home today I ran east and then west to see the mountains on my way home. It was rolling low hills today and a big hill yesterday

Then the runs aren't the same, so you shouldn't be comparing them. Your expectations are out of whack.