Net Calorie Confusion!

Options
So with my current settings on myfitnesspal, I'm supposed to be consuming 1200 calories a day, which I always do. However, I also exercise every day, usually losing somewhere between 300-700 calories. Normally, I will end up with only 800 to maybe 1000 at the most net calories for a day.

I don't really understand the net calorie thing. I understand how the number is calculated, but do net calories really matter? I figured that as long as I still consume 1200 calories a day I'd be fine even though I burn off so much of those calories, but I'm finding a lot of contradicting information on the web.

Long story short, I guess I'm asking if I need to be eating back all of the calories that I burn off. That seems to be contradictory since I always thought you were just supposed to burn off all your calories, but I guess I'm wrong.

What is the point of exercising if you eat it all back?

Help would be massively appreciated!!

Replies

• jlock819
    Options
    Hopefully I can help a little. If you are starting at the 1200 mark, that would be the # of calories you should take in per day without the addition of exercise. If you are averaging 300-700 of exercise per day, then you would need to eat 1500-1900 calories per day. The reason this isn't contradictory is because the intitial 1200 calorie number already factors in the amount of weight loss you've programmed as your goal. Be careful when adding in your exercise #'s, as sometimes the number of calroies burned as higher than they should be. I use this rule of thumb, always overestimate the number of calories in food, and underestimate the number of calories burned during exercise.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I wasn't clear enough.
  • tguarino1
    tguarino1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check newbie 2 post up top of the forums for the long answer.

Basically the site uses net calories, so if you set yourself to lose 1lb a week, and didnt work out at all, you would lose your pound by eating fewer calories than you burn.

So, anything you earn exercising can be eaten back, and you should still lose.

I dont like to eat them all back, unless my body is still hungry :) Just make sure you dont eat those calories back in Snickers !
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hopefully I can help a little. If you are starting at the 1200 mark, that would be the # of calories you should take in per day without the addition of exercise. If you are averaging 300-700 of exercise per day, then you would need to eat 1500-1900 calories per day. The reason this isn't contradictory is because the intitial 1200 calorie number already factors in the amount of weight loss you've programmed as your goal. Be careful when adding in your exercise #'s, as sometimes the number of calroies burned as higher than they should be. I use this rule of thumb, always overestimate the number of calories in food, and underestimate the number of calories burned during exercise.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I wasn't clear enough.

This!

Also, I would take another look at your numbers. I have a feeling that 1200 calories is too little. Based on your tracker, you don't have much to lose, so your calorie deficit has to be minimal. The less you have to lose, the less body fat your body has the ability to draw from. So this requires more calories in order to provide you energy in order to prevent muscle catabolization (converting energy from muscles). It's fat we all want to lose, not weight. Muscle is what gives you a lean tight body. So your goal should be to optimize fat loss. This means, heavy weight training and a small deficit (as noted below). Now, if you have a regular gym schedule, I suggest including exercise as part of your lifestyle (moderately active vs sedentary) as you don' t have to worry about net calories nor eat back exercise calories. This method also allows you to feed your body on rest days (which there should be 1-2 of these as rest and recovery is immensely important).

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I've read all these posts and now understand NET a bit more :-)
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. I've read all these posts and now understand NET a bit more :-)
    It's just "net". It doesn't need to be capitalized.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Alright so now I understand that I need to eat them back, but I was wondering also what is the point of exercising if you eat it all back then?

Thank you for all your answers!!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Alright so now I understand that I need to eat them back, but I was wondering also what is the point of exercising if you way it all back then?

You seriously don't know that exercise is good for your health?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Alright so now I understand that I need to eat them back, but I was wondering also what is the point of exercising if you way it all back then?

Diet is weight loss, exercise is fitness. Also, it's statistically been proven those who exercise keep off the weight longer. Also, if you do heavy weight training, you can improve fat loss. The reason it's confusing is this site doesn't recommend you include exercise as part of your lifestyle like a trainer, nutritionist or dietitian would.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Geez, you've gotten a couple rude answers.

Aside from the obvious fitness gained from exercise...so you can eat more food! 1200 calories a day isn't very much. If you exercise and eat back your calories, you get to eat way more food, while still losing at the same level. It makes it so much more sustainable, both while losing, and while maintaining when you're done losing.

Lots of people will tell you not to eat your exercise calories back...but would those same people advice you to consume only 600 calories a day with no exercise? Not likely. That's what you'd be doing if you ate at 1200, and then exercised 600 away.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The reason it's confusing is this site doesn't recommend you include exercise as part of your lifestyle like a trainer, nutritionist or dietitian would.

I so prefer the earn it and then use it method. For me, an inherently lazy person, if I was allotted 1600 calories a day, I would eat them. So what if I was "supposed to" exercise 400 calories that day. Give it to me upfront, and I won't live up to my end of the deal LOL.
  • maisiebet
    maisiebet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in on your post, but I wondered if anyone knew if you could effectively 'bank' those extra calories burned from exercise and use them up elsewhere in the week - I.e at the weekend?

Does anyone calorie shift?
  • pascalsdad
    Options
    I hope it's okay to ask these (most of them) nice people for clarification...but of all the threads dealing with this question, most smart answers are here. (and I'm glad that you can 'ignore' some uses...some ARE rude)

Given the equation for the number of calories:

# of Cals to Keep Current Weight = (current weight * 10) - 200

..I have to eat 1,700 calories. So, for effective weight loss, I have to consume AT LEAST 1,530 (# of Calories * 0.9 OR 10% less).

However, when I set my account to allow only 1,530 calories...and I burn approx. 800 calories in the morning (cardio, bike and elliptical)...this gives me approx. 2,330 calories to consume.

SO...my question is this....should I consume 2,330 calories?

PS:

I've tried eating them...no weight loss after several months....tried leaving them....no weight loss (been doing that since September)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I hope it's okay to ask these (most of them) nice people for clarification...but of all the threads dealing with this question, most smart answers are here. (and I'm glad that you can 'ignore' some uses...some ARE rude)

Given the equation for the number of calories:

# of Cals to Keep Current Weight = (current weight * 10) - 200

..I have to eat 1,700 calories. So, for effective weight loss, I have to consume AT LEAST 1,530 (# of Calories * 0.9 OR 10% less).

However, when I set my account to allow only 1,530 calories...and I burn approx. 800 calories in the morning (cardio, bike and elliptical)...this gives me approx. 2,330 calories to consume.

SO...my question is this....should I consume 2,330 calories?

PS:

I've tried eating them...no weight loss after several months....tried leaving them....no weight loss (been doing that since September)

Why don't you post your height weight and workout routine. We can run the numbers. I don't agree with your equation though. If you are active it's generally weight x 12 (10 if sedentary)