Sick with multivitamin

Options

Replies

• chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was taking regular centrum for women, and I would actually throw it up about 15 minutes later unless I took it on a really really full stomach.

I switched to prenatal, and I do not feel sick anymore. It's just a recommendation. :)

Same thing with me, except I was taking One a Day for women. I would always end up throwing up the vitamin within 15-30 minutes, whole and undigested, even though I was taking it with a meal. I have no problems taking prenatal multivitamins though. The kind I take are "Rainbow Light, Just Once Prenatal Multivitamin". I really like them--they're super easy to digest, they help me stay healthy, make my hair and nails strong, and turn my pee into a fun shade like Mountain Dew. :laugh:
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've already gotten this advice... but when I started taking a multivitamin, I took it in the mornings, usually with breakfast but occasionally before eating. I got through about three days of being sick as a dog in the morning before I realized it was the multivitamin. But even taking it after breakfast, it seemed to be too much for my system -- often, just like you, I would feel weak and sick to my stomach. Then I took it at night for a while, but I would still occasionally get the woozy feeling.

I have since switched to a gummy vitamin and it's made a world of difference. I can take them any time - with or without food, on an empty stomach, with other pills, etc. Hope this helps :)
  • lisaldouglas1011
    Options
    I used to get sick when I took my vitamin too. I now take mine at night and do not have a problem anymore. Good luck!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I get sick with pill mulivitamins... I take gummies, I haven't got sick since...
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me, I use to be really good and take them all the time but switched brands and then started feeling sick and now I just don't bother but know I should be taking one daily.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Centrum and Theragram have always made me sick to my stomach when I would take them. Tried them without food, tried them with food and tried them right before bed. Nothing worked. The only two multivitamins I could stomach were Herbalife or Alive.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with the multivitamin I take, but my boyfriend takes a similar kind and it makes him sick if he takes it on an empty stomach. If you don't eat much for breakfast, this could be why.
    But if it does start making you sick, stop taking it!! And find a new multivitamin :)
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i always get sick with vitamins, prenatal, multivit...it doesn't feel good. i continue to take them tho because i haven't tweaked my food choices enough yet to be comfortable that i am getting all the nutrients.
  • AliasSha
    AliasSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone has brought up a lot of good points. So many different methods that I am going to try before trading off for gummy kinds (I love me some gummys) or just seeing if I don't need them.

Thank you all so much!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It could be the brand.

Before I switched I was taking the womens one a day and no matter if I took it with food or no food I got sick to my stomach with them. There are also a lot of fillers in those too.

I'd go to a health food store and pick up a small jar of multi vitamins and see how they react to you.
  • sassi5
    Options
    Try a gummy vitamin or try bellybar chew able. They are a prenatal but have everything you need and really dont make you feel sick. I too get sick from some multivitamins.
  • Kouch_ka
    Kouch_ka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I went to Supplement Superstore and when I was telling the guy that works there about how my daily multivitamin makes me nauseous he told me that I should try buying multi-vitamin capsules not tablets. I told him I take the adult gummies and he said a lot of times the gummies are baked, and they tend to lose some of the nutrients you need because they are baked out.

I also talked to a guy at Vitamin World too, and he asked me what kind of multivitamin I was taking that was making me nauseous. I told him One-A-Day Women's. He said that brand tends to have a lot of iron in the tablets. Which tends to make women more nauseous when taking them.

Although, the Supp. Superstore guy told me the downside to the gummies...I still took them because I have no problem. But since I'm finishing those off, I did end up buying some organic ingredient multivitamins tablets from Vitamin World and I'm going to see how those work out.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medically diagnosed deficiency, taking a multivitamin isn't necessary. You should be able to get enough nutrients from your food.

Not true. Multivitamins are necessary because you can't get all nutrients from your food.

I've never taken multivitamins, and I'm perfectly healthy. Explain that.
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I started taking a multivitamin in the morning. I just switched to taking it with lunch or dinner and with plenty of food (like I don't take it until at least half way through my meal). No problems since!
  • Army_Love89
    Options
    I had the same problem with that vitamin so I switched to NatureMade for Her. :) I also take them at lunch time with a meal.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem with the one a day for women. But I switched to a gummy vitamin for adults and I have no more issues. The other stuff made me so sick to my stomach.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    many people are allergic to the binder used in some pills. it's what holds everything together and the first substance to dissolve. Different brands use different material. You may be better off with a gel cap. Those you can even slice open and mix with food.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    When I take vitamins I hafta eat a bigger breakfast or I get sick. A smoothie doesn't cut it for me. I hafta have something way more substantial. Or if your lunch or dinner is bigger try switching the times you take it.
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had this reaction to a certain brand as well, even when I took it with a large meal. I recently started taking Rainbow Light Women's Just Once multivitamin. I love it!
  • rllewell
    Options
    If you still feel you need a vitamin or supplement then ask these questions: Does it deliver key antioxidants and other phytonutrients that are absorbed by the body? Does it reduce oxidative stress? Does it support a healthy immune system? Does it help protect DNA? Does it positively impacts several key indicators of cardiovascular wellness? I’ve only found one product that has a check mark on all of the above, backed by 3rd party clinical research studies.

Which vitamin is that?

It isn’t a vitamin it is a whole food with a whole food label on the bottle. It is called Juice Plus+, 26 different fruits, vegetables, berries and grains proven effective through independent clinical research. JP+ also has the NSF label. Pretty easy for JP+ to get the NSF stamp of approval since it is a whole food and nothing else!