Eating gluten free

Options
Do any of you eat gluten free? I've been dealing with digestive issues for years and lately I've been wondering if maybe it's the gluten in some foods that is not agreeing with me.

I was thinking of testing that theory by trying to eat gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.

Have any of you gone on a gluten free way of eating and if so what was your reasoning to do that? I'm just so tired of dealing with digestive issues (IBS, etc) and I'm looking for possibly an answer.

Replies

• marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    OMG I am so surprise to see this I just found out on Sunday. I actually realized I am intolerent of bread also! I started the grepefruit diet a few weeks ago. I felt good I cheated one day and my stomach hurt so bad. I went back on my diet then on my off days I ate some things with bread and a couple of cookies and bam I felt sick immediatly which I thought was so odd. It seems I been so used to feeling this way I hardly noticed until I started that diet. Needless to say I feel great and I don't even have the craving for breads.
  • beachlover542
    Options
    My husband must eat a wheat free diet. One word of advice - read EVERY food label. Very many processed foods (from rice mixes to soups and sausage, etc) have wheat added! Its best to go with all homemade or especially formulated gluten-free food. Good luck!
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    there is a gluten free thread on MFP. just search for "gluten free" and also there is a group called Gluten free guys and gals.
  • burbmama
    Options
    My 12 year old is gluten intollerant and once we found out and removed gluten from her diet, it made a WORLD of difference. My first shopping trip after finding out took me 3 hours. I read every label. My favorite place to shop now is Trader Joes. I have been noticing that alot of the store brand items 9like honey nut cheerios) dont have gluten in them. Our Starbucks out here just started stocking gluten free baked goods and they are awesome! It may take a few weeks for you to feel better because it takes so long for your body to process gluten. There was a thread about gluten free and there is alot of good info. Also try searching celiac disease.
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll go check out the group on here.

Yeah, I've heard that gluten is in A LOT of things and that it can be very difficult to not eat it.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    My three year old has a wheat/gluten intollerance. She had so many ear infections the first 18 months of her life. No matter what we asked about diet, her doctors refused to believe it could be a food allergy. Finally after a midnight trip to the ER after she had tubes put in, we broke down and took her to a Naturopath who suggested no wheat or dairy. A year and a half later, one ear infection in all that time and that was because I got way too lax with her diet.

http://www.wasabimon.com/recipes/gluten-free/
    this is a great website for gluten free recipes. I just printed up a gluten free brioche bread recipe this morning

www.foodgawker.com
    scroll to the bottom and click on the gluten free link

Someone else mentioned Trader Joes and I totally second that. They have gluten free macaroni and cheese for $1.99 a box...I just bought 4 yesterday. And they have many other gluten free foods too.
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    gluten free girls (guys) is the thread......I have been following that thread too.
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Do any of you eat gluten free? I've been dealing with digestive issues for years and lately I've been wondering if maybe it's the gluten in some foods that is not agreeing with me.

I was thinking of testing that theory by trying to eat gluten free for a couple of weeks to see if that helps.

Have any of you gone on a gluten free way of eating and if so what was your reasoning to do that? I'm just so tired of dealing with digestive issues (IBS, etc) and I'm looking for possibly an answer.

I have been feeling the same way and decided to try going gluten free...I have been doing it for about 2 weeks now....I haven't noticed much of a difference except for the fact that I don't feel so bloated.... I have read that it could take up to a couple of months to see or feel any different....I never thought that there would be so much food that is laden with gluten...I have found that there some stuff that is made specifically gluten free and unfortunately the prices are a bit expensive.....Good Luck with trying to solve your issues