Healthy Football Recipes??

Options
Hi friends! My bf and I are known for having a ton of people over for football and for having a TON of good food. That being said - I don't want to simply stop making the food that everyone already knows and loves, but I would like to throw in some things that are healthier. I don't have a problem eating the food I make in moderation (i.e. eating only one wing, or one potato skin) but I do have problems staying away from tortilla chips and salsa (b/c I make my own salsa - yum). If I had some healthy options at the table I'd feel much better and feel more empowered to stay away from the stuff that's more unhealthy.

Some ideas I have now are:
Veggie plate with healthy dip
Healthy hummus (minimal oil) with whole wheat baked pita

And that's about it.

Help??

Replies

• missxlaur
    Options
    Anyone??
  • AllieCat1981
    AllieCat1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a Frank's Red Hot dip it's great and you can substitute the chips for pita or anything really.

1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
    1/2 cup fat free Ranch dressing
    1 block fat free cream cheese
    light shredded cheese (any flavour)
    2 cans PC blue menu canned chicken chunks (drained)

Mix the hot sauce, ranch, chicken chunks and cream cheese . Put it in a baking pan, sprinkle shredded cheese on top
    and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350.

It's so good. I use Multigrain Tostitoes to dip however you can use anything you want :)
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a small baking dish with non-stick spray.

In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients. Add the pulled chicken, and stir until well combined.

Spoon mixture into baking dish, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until dip is warmed through and cheese is melted. Serve warm with baked chips, celery sticks, or other veggies!

Ingredients

1/2 cup (8 oz) Package fat free cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup Plain Greek yogurt (or low fat sour cream)

1 1/2 tbs Spicy ranch dry salad dressing & seasoning mix (or the regular ranch dry mix will work)

1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese (or blue cheese)

1/2 cup Franks Red Hot™ Buffalo Wing Sauce (more or less depending on desired heat)

1 1/2 cup Chicken, cooked and shredded (or pulled)

16 Servings (1/4 cup)
    43 Calories Per 1/4 Cup
    ((Dip Only))
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip

1/4 cup Onion, finely chopped
    2 (10 oz) Packages frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 (8 oz) Package fat-free cream cheese OR 1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup Light sour cream 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 (14-ounce) Can artichoke hearts
    1/4 tsp Salt and pepper (or to taste)
    2 tsp Garlic powder

Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray. Cook and stir onion over medium heat until transparent (about 5 minutes).
    Add spinach. Cook until thoroughly heated (about 1-2 minutes).

Reduce heat; add cream cheese. Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and artichokes. Remove from heat. Season with black pepper and salt. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl (or baking dish) and bake and/or microwave until warmed through right before serving.

Serve with baked tortilla chips Or home-made pita chips (Take any high fiber pita bread like ‘La Tortilla Factory’s Smart & Delicious Low-Carb High Fiber Large Tortillas’. Spray pita with non-stick cooking spray and flavor with a pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 1 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese. Bake it at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.)

10 Servings (1 serving = 1/2 cup)

50 Calories Per Serving
    ((Dip Only))
  • Ali_b31
    Ali_b31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what about using celery in place of the tortilla chips with salsa. It would still give you the crunch. Also you can use greek yogurt in place of sour cream in dips which will had in some extra protein.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    these are great suggestions! thanks everybody :)