This is not about dieting

Options
You are not on a diet: Dieting is about having a peculiar mindset. One that is unsustainable. If you are 'in the zone' and viewing this as a challenge to be beaten, you will most likely fall back on old habits. You are not on a diet.
The correct attitude to have is one of a complete and permanent change of perspective.

You must remember certain facts. Advertisers will aim their products at you. You must be impervious to all of it, even the diet foods.. perhaps even especially the diet stuff. It only perpetuates this idea that you are on a diet in the first place.

Do not see it as a diet, with a beginning and an end. This is a small part of your WHOLE life journey. It is not something to come back to like the previous nights kebab.

This is not about having willpower. This is about having a better and healthier life. As a choice, it should be a no brainer. I look at people bigger than I and genuinely think ' I am happy that is not me'. I don't start out by thinking that I must not eat that. I begin from a position of what I can eat, and everything else I merely ignore. I don't miss cakes, because they don't exist in my world. I don't miss booze because that hasn't existed since 2001. I took out my 20 year cigarette addiction the same way. I despise anything that controls the way I think or feel. This is not the perfect attitude to have, however I have an addictive personality. So it has to be all or nothing. I have to embrace these things in this way, to take back control.

Replies

• judybegood
    judybegood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    well done!:flowerforyou:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a "diet" to lose body fat. However, I know that once I attain certain goals, I will be on less of a "diet" to slow the loss of fat in my body. This will continue until I am at my goal body weight where my "diet" will end, but my healthy lifestyle will continue.

If you are eating at a deficit, in order to lose body fat, you are on a diet, IMO. Once you stop losing body fat, and start maintaining you weight, you are no longer on a diet.

It is all a part of a lifestyle change.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    zu5ls8.jpg
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This is a great mindset and exactly why I am following the site. It is helping to learn what I can eat and what I should not but still allows me to eat everything.

Diets do not work long term. I, and many people, have done diets in fact I lost nearly 50 pounds on Slimming World and in 2 years I have put this on, and more because I actually learnt worse eating habits and got a massive appetite. When the diet finished, I was out in the world again and had a massive appetite but wasn't following the rules anymore. All my hard work went to waste. I also did not learn to love being out and about, going for walks, dusting off the exercise bike!

Well done on everything you have given up to improve your quality of life.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn the real truth about DIETS, CALORIES, and CALORIES BURNED invest in this. I gain nothing by it, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over.
    --- > http://www.anythinggoesdiet.com/no-diet-rules-allowed.php

(This is NOT about eating junk food! It's about learning to eat for you own lifestyle, vegan, organic, whatever)

My story here- - -> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

Others who followed his advice, ALL SUCCESSFUL --> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/

It costs nothing to read and listen to their interviews and its fun because they are real like you and I.

Men---> http://www.adonisindex.com/

And many of us use MFP.
  • LetsgetfitJC
    Options
    Congrats on taking control! I was going to suggest finding a balance, so that you are not too extreme, but being that you have done well with past problems, .. you are doing well. Keep exercising and eating healthy :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Would it be rude to send this to all my "unhealthy" friends?:wink:
  • melodylyn73
    melodylyn73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    thanks for the inspiration
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hear Hear, well said.....

If you havent heard of it, listen to fat2fit radio.... i think you'll like it!

Si
  • radioberry
    Options
    great outlook on life!
  • phoennix3
    phoennix3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please do. Anything that helps people re-evaluate the way they see things can only be good.
  • Carolrosser
    Options
    It took me 6 years to get my weight from 202 lbs to 138 lbs. One thing I learned is what you're saying. When people think about being on a diet, they find themselves craving junk foods. However if you think about being healthier & always ask yourself about foods whether they are healthy or not before you eat them, then your chances of getting healthier by losing weight will be alot more sucessful. Also if you aren't losing weight as fast as you'd like, don't give up. Keep going. It took a long time to gain the weight & will take a while to get it down. Every pound lost is a win. when you start getting discouraged, just look at how far you've already come & then get going. Health= 80% nutrition + 20% exercise. If you aren't doing any kind of exercise, then add some daily. don't have time? If you have time to watch TV, you have time to exerxise. Do crunches, push-ups, or jumping jacks while watching TV. use a treadmile while watching TV. Just get moving.
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the opening post. Since starting with MFP my eyes have been opened to just how much I was scoffing away through, what amounted to, pure greed.

I can't believe the calories I was eating just because I wasn't thinking about what I was eating.

The mindset has to change before the body can truely adapt and remain in a mode that will stay at the weight I want to be.

I haven't fully achieved that yet, but I'm so much closer to it than I was at the beginning.
  • ianmccarthy
    ianmccarthy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said phoennix. I'm all or nothing too. Got any quit smoking tips for me?