Healthy lunch recipes that don't need heating up?

Options
Nicci93
Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
I am a college student who really needs some help =) I don't want to eat just sandwiches for lunch everyday, and lunchables are only good every so often O.o so I was hoping people had some suggestions on what I can pack?

Preferably some stuff that is better cold rather than heated up! I don't really have access to a microwave most days.

Replies

• AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well, you get the protein bars, the homous and carrots, the salads, but I'd be really interested in what everyone else says - spare us the boring usual stuff, give us some exciting ideas :)
  • restivesilence
    restivesilence Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This website has awesome lunch ideas. They are all bento box menus, so perfect for anyone packing a lunch.

http://www.laptoplunches.com/bento-menus/
  • yayjay
    yayjay Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    if you have a roast chicken for dinner, you can have a really yum lunch the next day!
    shred the chicken into pieces and mix up with a bit of grated carrot and cucumber, a little spring onion is awesome too.
    mix a bit of light soy sauce in with a dash of lime juice and a dash of fish sauce. (all things that go a long way on a cheap student budget)

just chuck it in a container, when lunch time comes round use lettuce leaves to wrap up your mix its super YUM!
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    Consider grabbing yourself a Thermos! Then you can have things like hot soup without the need of a microwave :)
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the thermos suggestion! You can get some cup-a-soups that are only 50 calories but still fill you up. I used to make one up for my boyfriend, but add some ham and vegetables in as well and then give him some 2 minute noodles that he could add into the thermos just before he was ready to eat :) It was always a treat!

It's not just soup you can put in them though, I put heaps of leftovers in. Chilli is good, you could do baked beans, we've made porridge in them before too :) It opens up lots of opportunities for lunches, that's for sure!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    This website has awesome lunch ideas. They are all bento box menus, so perfect for anyone packing a lunch.

I love all the ideas they have on that site! Thanks for posting :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Aside from soups I can't think of anything that needs to be heated. Fritatas, stir fries, casserole-type things... I could come up with a huge list. If you check my food diary, pretty much anything I'm eating for lunch is unheated (unless it's soup). I have access to a microwave but I think everything tastes better at room temperature.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • ablazeoflife
    ablazeoflife Posts: 169 Member
    Options

^^Totally love the link - thanks for sharing!

Other non-cook lunch ideas:
    Crazy salads: bean salads, leafy green salads, pasta salads, vegetable salads, etc
    Stuffed Pita bread: put whatever you want in it; hummus, tomato, cheese, grated veggies, avocado, left overs... lol
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I generally eat a homemade Greek salad for lunch every day - lots of greens, 1 oz of feta cheese, a handful of kalamata olives, tomatoes / other vegetables, and a little vinaigrette. Super-easy to make and delicious. You could add some chicken breast for extra protein if you want.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mecagney
    Options
    Bumblebee makes flavored tuna "sweet sensations" I think they are great. I've found them in a 3 oz w/ crackers and also in a larger 5 oz size. I really like the sweet chili!! I haven't tried the lemon yet, and I did not really care for the tomato one. Love to mix with quinoa and some avocado.
  • ckahle01
    ckahle01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite summer luch when all the fruit is in season is: two servings of Planters pistacio lovers mix with 1 cup of fresh cherries and 1 cup of fresh grapes. All for under 500 calories. The nuts fill you up more than you would think!

Take your favorite lunch meat and cheese and roll it in lettuce leaves for a low cal cool lunch.

Cold leftover chicken or meatloaf or steak tastes just fine without warming it up.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I buy the butterball turkey strips that are already cooked (2 small boxes). I steam 2 medium size bags of frozen veggies, mix the turkey in then squeeze a fresh lemon on it and add some garlic. For me its delicious and convenient. Also I only spend $10 and it feeds me for the week.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dq_diva
    Options
    bump
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I could use some ideas as well. Sandwiches get boring!

Sometimes I like to make my own tuna or chicken salad, and I'll take some reduced fat ritz crackers and maybe a string cheese. Cold leftovers can sometimes be good even without heating up. You can try making wraps instead, or pinwheels. Salads are good too. :)