Visalus

Options
So, I want UNBIASED opinions. I keep hearing that Body By Vi is a great way to lose weight; I have friends that sell it, so of course they are going to sing it's praises. I also had a friend that used Shakeology and she lost a good bit of weight that way.

My thing is that I don't want to spend the money on something that I don't know 100% will work. Have any of you ever tried Visalus? What do you think?

Replies

• hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A family friend of mine lost A LOT of weight with it, as did her daughter. They sell it and love it and go to conventions and the whole nine yards. Well, of course, I wanted to try it. I am on a tight budget but thought if it replaced two meals a day then it would be worth it. It is pretty pricey. And I did not want to drink two meals a day. That was the main thing for me. It also has a lot of fiber in them and they made my stomach upset for the first week. After that, I really did have more energy and they do keep you full. My problem was I wanted more substantial food (to chew)!
    That being said, I know they have a lot of pros and I have seen them work first hand. I think it really depends on if you have the money to spend (because if you want them to taste yummy and have diversity, you have to buy fruits and stuff with it) and if you don't mind drinking your meals. For me, I could find healthy food for less expensive and that I could chew. But that's personal preference.

Long story short, it comes down to what you want for your diet/lifestlye. :)
  • Kristin_Burleigh
    Options
    See, that's my thing too! I have a bag of Shakeology that a friend let me have. It tasted okay (the texture was a bit odd for me), but unless I have food to actually chew I don't feel full! I think I will try finding a good diet plan for myself first, and then maybe try that out. Or try it out for a month or something. I really don't know! XD
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is effective and cheaper than both Shakeology and Visalus.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You can lose all the weight you want by eating at a calorie deficit as recommended by MFP. Absolutely no shakes necessary.

They do nothing to help you lose weight. They're a shake. Eat over your calories and they do nothing. Calorie counting is all that matters. No overpriced shake does that for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The problem with all weight loss shakes is that you learn nothing while using them. If you are overweight because you made bad choices ... drinking shakes will not fix that. Unless you plan to use them for the rest of your life.

Keeping weight off usually requires an education of sorts .... how did I get this way (over weight) and what do I need to change to keep the weight off in the future? Lifestyle changes.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I would skip it. If you want to drink 2 meals a day, buy protein powder and look online for protein shake recipes. I drink 1-2 protein shakes a day, will eat 1 meal a day, and might snack on some veggies or fruit if I'm still hungry. Protein shakes are filling and helps me reach my daily protein goal each day. This is much cheaper than Visalus. My question to you is, what happens when you lose your weight? Are you going to drink shakes for the rest of your life? Would you rather lose weight gradually by eating right and making a lifestyle change? Don't waste your money on a quick fix.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The problem with all weight loss shakes is that you learn nothing while using them. If you are overweight because you made bad choices ... drinking shakes will not fix that. Unless you plan to use them for the rest of your life.

Keeping weight off usually requires an education of sorts .... how did I get this way (over weight) and what do I need to change to keep the weight off in the future? Lifestyle changes.

Yep!
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    You can use all the weight you want by eating at a calorie deficit as recommended by MFP. Absolutely no shakes necessary.

They do nothing to help you lose weight. They're a shake. Eat over your calories and they do nothing. Calorie counting is all that matters. No overpriced shake does that for you.

^This. There is no magic shake that will make you lose weight. They replace and meal and they are low calorie. You could just eat a low calorie meal (and probably feel more satisfied) instead of drinking the shake. Have you tried one? They're really not that great. Everyone and their mother sells them and tries to get me to buy them. They give you a sample and you have to buy your own things to mix with it. Fruits, yogurts, etc. Just buy healthy food instead.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing in those shakes that you can't make yourself at home for much cheaper!!!
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options

THIS. They are 90 calories without the milk you add. I would rather have an egg white omelet for breakfast. Or a nice big salad for lunch. I just feel more satisfied with actual food. AND I don't want to drink shakes forever, like mentioned above, I would rather learn how to eat healthy for life. (Even though this learning process might take longer than just throwing a shake in the blender, I really feel like it is worth it in the end)
  • ssnowdon76
    Options
    Unless a person fundamentally changes the way they approach their diet and lifestyle .. the weight lost using any sort of supplement or meal replacement won't be sustainable. A person needs to learn (re-learn) how to eat healthy .. to eat quality calories and .. when indulging, eat / drink in moderation.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What is with all the Body by Vi "SPAM" today?? I didn't think this was allowed here?
  • JoeGa
    JoeGa Posts: 25
    Options
    From personal experiences:
    I used it heavily for a few weeks, and it helped jump start my diet. Found it filling for a couple hours then hungry. Still use it occasionally but not really to lose weight, just as an occasional meal replacement. Tastes pretty good, but you have to resist temptation to go crazy with added ingredients or you basically have as many (or more) calories as a large MickyD milkshake.
    It is very expensive for what you get, and regardless of what you hear, it is a pyramid scheme, but you don't have to sell or become an acolyte if you don't want to.
    If you want to get some and try 2 shakes a day to get started, worth a try....but long term, wasn't for me.
  • Kristin_Burleigh
    Options
    Wasn't meant as spam, Cliffslosinit. Sorry if it came off that way.

You all make a great point; I didn't think of the whole having to use it EVERY day for the rest of forever. That's definitely not something I want to do!

I think I will stick to calorie counting and keeping a close eye on what I eat instead of spending the money on that! Thanks!