Alcohol - I promised myself to not drink until the weekends

Options
but when I get home I am so tried and fed up from my day I hit the wine. (and not just one)

Any tip or tricks to avoid this tempatation?

Replies

• heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way most of the time, but if I hit the gym instead of the bottle, it seems to do the job.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it in the house. Just buy it on Friday.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get it out of the house or make it fit into your calorie limit!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking and smoking around the same time I started eating better and working out. Sometimes when I feel like having a drink or eating something terrible I tell myself I can do it, in one hour. By then the feeling has usually subsided and I don't even want it anymore. So maybe when you get home, when you usually start drinking or whatever....just say to yourself, "that's ok, I can have it if I want....in one hour" and see if that helps maybe?
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh... I have the same problem! It's especially hard if I am with friends. I think my focus for this week is the following:

1. Save alcohol for the weekend and stick to one or two classes of wine. If I am at dinner or happy hour with friends during the week, I have to suck it up and get club soda with a splash of cranberry and lime or a diet coke.
    2. Replace alcohol with coffee, fancy tea, sugar free hot chocolate, or steamed skim milk with sugar free flavored syrup (like torani) at home after dinner.
    3. Meditate when I get home from work for 15 minutes (I have a cd that's great - if you're interested, you can find out more on irest.us). I'm hoping meditating will help me relax so I can make better choices.

Good luck!! I appreciate you posting this - I can relate. Wine is my downfall and those calories add up so darn fast!
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    but when I get home I am so tried and fed up from my day I hit the wine. (and not just one)

Any tip or tricks to avoid this tempatation?

I had to commit to "no alcohol for the first month" even though I had 4 great tasting beers sitting my fridge. I did that to get the idea of "I NEED a beer/glass of wine at the end of the day" out of my head. Now it's a treat (I had sangria this weekend. My first post 1-month drink. Delicious). I think swapping is a good idea. Get rid of the wine and stock up on something else (seltzer with lime, a good cup of coffee, a healthy but delicious snack etc) and know that this will be your thing to unwind to. Hope it helps - I feel you. I lovee my wine so I can't have it in the house!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you "tired and fed up" from your job? Maybe it's time for a career change?

If that's not an option find something you enjoy (that doesn't involve popping a cork). Take music lessons, join a book club, join a gym - something to keep your mind pleasantly occupied.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I need to do this too! The ice cold beer is just too much temptation after a long day at school.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't make promises you can't keep.

EVER
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Don't keep it in the house. Just buy it on Friday.

This. I just dont buy my beer till Friday and make it last the weekend. No drinking through the week.