Eating Healthier at Concerts/Fairs/Carnivals

Options
This coming Saturday I will be going to an all day Concert/Festival. I'm a little bit nervous because events such as this are not exactly known for healthy foods....more like fried, greasy foods! I've come so far that I don't want to completely ruin my progress.

Does anyone know of any healthier options to go for when at these sorts of events? I do allow myself a cheat treat every so often, but this will be an all day thing and I don't do entire cheat days. Any suggestions of ideas would be greatly appreciated!! And no, we can't take food in....I wish :(

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you explain things at certain places they are willing to work with you...choose places that grill the food and stay away from the breads. I had cheesesteak without the cheese and the bread, so I had the meat and the onions and peppers. Hard to log but still better than deep fried. If they have sasuage subs, again have it without the bread. Bread adds a lot of calories for not a lot of benifit, especially white bread. If they only offer fried foods then you've got to eat so you may as well eat it but try taking off the outside breading, it holds most the oil anyways. Choose water over other drinks. Try not to drink your calories.
  • alhunt8587
    Options
    Those are some great tips! Thanks!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    I'm of the "How often do you get to do this..?" camp. I like to have a regular concert dog or fair food or whatever when I 'm there. It's not like you're going to eat 5,000 calories. Or is it? Just eat a "meal" size portion and don't worry about every single day of your life being perfect or perfectly logged.

80/20 rule. 80 percent of the time you make healthy choices. 20 percent, not so much.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? Some of my advice may be Uk specific but at festivals I usually try and find:

- avoid the bread! This includes donuts, waffles and all those other great festival things.
    - a baked potato stall - order with no butter and a light topping (beans, tuna)
    - chicken grill where they serve rice and salad. Asking for a half serving, or skip the rice.

I find it really difficult to be around that food all day and resist. Once I've reccied the food options I set myself a target and a treat. For example, if I avoid all the bread all day I can have a scoop of that ice cream at 9pm. Give yourself something to aim for. I find ice cream the best sweet treat because it is not as "carby" as other things. If I have a doughnut the sugar spike is exrtreme and I will want another in ten minutes. Plus small ball ice cream - 200 cal. Waffle with topping - potentially 400 plus.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you capable of eating a couple of meals there and returning to your diet the next day?

If so, I'd suggest you go enjoy yourself. Don't BINGE, but enjoy the food, have a good time, and move on. If you are able to do this "once in a while" without using it as an excuse to fall off the wagon, then I think you should.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I was just at a fair and had Small bag of Kettle korn, half lb of fudge, 2 yards of killians, turkey stew in a bread bowl, canied pecans, and one more yard of killians to be safe. Did my scale explode the next day? Nope. Moral of the story, if it's not a weekly event, let loose and have a little fun, if you're really worried, hit the gym before you go and do a few extra laps around the park to keep the calorie burning up. Done and done
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I would eat one of fried everything.
    that way, if someone asked you what you ate, just say 'I only had one'.... also.. how often are you at a fair/carnival?? really?
    enjoy life.
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I went to a fair a couple weekends ago- Corn dog, grilled garlic chicken on a stick at a Thai/Vietnamese stall, half a roast pork sandwich, bite of a deep-fried PB&J, bite of a strawberry shortcake.
    I find sharing definitely helped, and I only drank water all day. :)

But yeah, I didn't feel bad. I go to one of those a year, if that.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My trick is to split everything I eat with someone - usually my husband. The portion sizes are so big! That way I'm eating more of an actual serving. I eat so much less this way, and I don't feel guilty afterwards, because I only had half of everything.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Roasted corn on the cob....yum!
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My job puts me at a lot of festivals. My tips-- eat a filling healthy breakfast, drink lots of water, and pack a few healthy snacks. You will end up eating the fair food, but if have a few snacks with you and you don't arrive hungry, you have a good shot at eating less of it!
  • alhunt8587
    Options
    You all are right! I will just let loose and have fun. It's only one day. I do love the sharing idea! My husband will be there so that will work perfect! I'm going to enjoy my day there, but just not over do it. I will stick with small portion sizes of anything bad I have! Thanks for all the tips and support guys!