Who has tried the EODD?

Options
Just for a tickle I clicked on one of the sponsor links for MFP website and it was the Every Other Day Diet. I sat an listened to the guys 15 minute video and I got to wondering. Will my body really adjust to my few calories I am eating and then stop me from losing weight? Do his claims hold any water? No pun intended. I am in the process of losing 75 pounds total. It seems that it should simply be burn more than you eat. But does the body really adjust to the fewer calories and then stop a body from losing weight?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I have always heard you need to burn more than you eat to lose. What I have found that as I get in better shape my body does not burn the same amount of calories during a workout. For example when I first got the 30 Day Shred Video I was burning well over 200 calories when I did it now when I do it I am in the 170-180 range. Not a big difference but over time those numbers would add up.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think a body does get used to the same routine each days and adjusts. So, it's best to jolt your system every once in a while. I think that's why people have the hardest time with the last ten pounds.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I've heard of zig zagging calories. Like if you should eat 1500 a day for a 1 lb a week deficit. So one day you eat 1200 then next you 1800, then next 1350 then the next 1650, so in the end you still average out 1500 a day over the course of a week but I don't know what the EODD is.
  • Questfor250
    Options
    So in your opinion since i have been doing 2000 calories for 21 days I should shock my system with 3000 calories or even go eat a long desired sweet and sour chicken from China King? Say screw the diet for one meal or two?Then get back on it?
  • Questfor250
    Options
    This make senses. I never thought of it that way.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    So in your opinion since i have been doing 2000 calories for 21 days I should shock my system with 3000 calories or even go eat a long desired sweet and sour chicken from China King? Say screw the diet for one meal or two?Then get back on it?

Yes, I think we can have an indulgance once in a while...it's keeps your body guessing...I have also heard that health professionals say to shake up your exercise routine as muscles have a tendency to memorize routines and adjust to be more efficient
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have read this regarding contestants on the Biggest Loser:

Bill Germanakos, winner of season 4, explained that the men are on 1800 calories per day, but on Saturday they increase to around 4000 calories. He told me that he would eat a large pizza and 2 large gatorades that day.

So yeah, I would say go have a "cheat" day to ramp up the metabolism.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    Well then here is a question. Since I workout Monday-Friday and burn between 600 and 900 calories/day. Wouldn't me not working out on Saturday and Sunday and simply eating around 1200 cals be enough of a shock for my system?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I was wondering the same myself.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Well then here is a question. Since I workout Monday-Friday and burn between 600 and 900 calories/day. Wouldn't me not working out on Saturday and Sunday and simply eating around 1200 cals be enough of a shock for my system?

My thinking is that you need a splurge day to compensate for muscle building and calorie deficit. It also depends on the type of calories burned as well...is it straight cardio or weight-lifting...or do you mix-it-up to shock your body...I think some people get into patterns and then the body adjusts
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I always did, had a "cheat meal" once a week. Nothing TOO insane, no chicken fried steak on pancakes w/extra gravy or anything stupid like that, but one really excellent big meal. Usually pasta w/seafood, or some pizza. Did it every week when I was losing.

Now I'm pretty much on maintenance, so I'm playing a little different game now, but I lost weight while cheating/shocking once a week, sure.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options

My thinking is that you need a splurge day to compensate for muscle building and calorie deficit. It also depends on the type of calories burned as well...is it straight cardio or weight-lifting...or do you mix-it-up to shock your body...I think some people get into patterns and then the body adjusts

The calories I was referring to are on my elliptical. I do some lean muscle building focusing mostly on my abs and back and a little on my arms. Since it is hard to record on MFP I don't consider it calories burned.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have "shocked" my metabolism twice in the last 5 months when I felt myself hit a mini plateau. It's really just a good excuse to eat cheesy greasy mexican food.
    I haven't had an excuse to do that in a few months now. :ohwell: But I guess steadily losing weight is technically a good thing. :laugh:
  • nisijam5
    Options

The calories I was referring to are on my elliptical. I do some lean muscle building focusing mostly on my abs and back and a little on my arms. Since it is hard to record on MFP I don't consider it calories burned.

Maybe doing some circuit training would be good to add 2 to 3 times a week...switch things up...I record circuit training as cardio because your heart rate should be elevated when doing the weight lifting...kind of like, the shred, it has interval training
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Okay, Okay, I hear you all. Thank you. I really appreciate it. So as I think about how to shock my body, I am interested in hearing some of your suggestions for how to splurge. I am thinking maybe pizza hut, maybe chili's sweet chili chipolte chicken crispers, or maybe buffalo wild wings, or a greasy, delicious Chimichanga fried with extra sour creme. I will stick to it for breakfast and dinner but lunch I am going to splurge. What are your suggestions on how to do it?
  • pjansen
    pjansen Posts: 19
    Options
    I really like to and need to pig out one meal a week to make it feel like I'm not punishing myself for trying to get fit.
    It usually ends up being greasy cheesy pizza, or steak and a baked potatoe with butter and sour cream. Then,
    back to the diet and treadmill and bicycle. It fine for you, and good for your head too.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I always check out the NI before I go. I mean, I want to splurge, but not destroy all my hard work! For instance, DH looked up 20 buffalo wings, with ranch dressing, at Hooters (used to be a staple meal for him in college), the calorie total for that was. . . . . . wait for it. . . . . 4500!!:noway: Obviously, that would put weight back on me in no time! So I try to choose something that I've really been wanting, but not go crazy with it. Last week, my MIL, some friends and I had our monthly Girls' Night Out. I had the roast beef dinner (not too bad with the side choices I made, but OH the sodium!), and then I had a slice of lemon merengue pie. MMmmmmmmmmmm.:bigsmile: That piece of pie (a HUGE piece, mind you) had almost as many calories as my dinner!:laugh: It put me over by about 500 or so.

That's another thing, I ALWAYS track my cheat meal. It's not that I care over much, but then when I go and view reports I can see the trends.

Have fun at your cheat meal! This is a lifestyle change, and if we can't live with it, why bother?:drinker:
  • Questfor250
    Options
    Slow done Lisa. I am not out to eat 5000 calories. Yes I am going to track everything I eat and no I am not going to blow my plan out of the water. Are you kidding? I am NOT getting away from looking up my menu items for every freaking meal. I plan my meals out for the full day and stick to it. It is a wholesale change and I love it. I know if I eat a massive amount, which I am capapble of doing, I will regret it. So I am probably going to stick to a 1000 calorie meal. Somewhere. But the thing is, once I eat that at lunch time, I will get away with a dinner for 300 calories. In the end, I will still meet goal tomorrow. You'll see. :tongue:
  • KariandCo
    Options
    I always check out the NI before I go. I mean, I want to splurge, but not destroy all my hard work! For instance, DH looked up 20 buffalo wings, with ranch dressing, at Hooters (used to be a staple meal for him in college), the calorie total for that was. . . . . . wait for it. . . . . 4500!!:noway: Obviously, that would put weight back on me in no time! So I try to choose something that I've really been wanting, but not go crazy with it. Last week, my MIL, some friends and I had our monthly Girls' Night Out. I had the roast beef dinner (not too bad with the side choices I made, but OH the sodium!), and then I had a slice of lemon merengue pie. MMmmmmmmmmmm.:bigsmile: That piece of pie (a HUGE piece, mind you) had almost as many calories as my dinner!:laugh: It put me over by about 500 or so.

That's another thing, I ALWAYS track my cheat meal. It's not that I care over much, but then when I go and view reports I can see the trends.

Have fun at your cheat meal! This is a lifestyle change, and if we can't live with it, why bother?:drinker:

Lisa, I do the same thing, and pjansen - I totally agree. I get one "freebie" meal once a week where I don't limit myself but still try to make good decisions. But I still log it, just so that I'm aware the next day what that meal cost me - It's good motivation to get back on track the next day.

This IS a lifestyle change, and it's not realistic to think you'll always be right at your optimum calories each and every day, or that you'll have to constantly deny cravings, meals out, etc. Everything in moderation, right? =)