HELP!! It's birthday cake day at the office!!

Options
I woman just dropped off the most beautiful cake I've ever seen here at the office. I WILL NOT eat any of it! I do really well avoiding the cookies and what-not, but this cake looks really good.

Replies

• SailorJerrysRum
    Options
    I say get a lick of it. Call it your cheat day (go over your calorie limit by 300 if you have to) and move on. I do this one or twice a week and still lose, just remember this is lifestyle, not a torture chamber. Convincing yourself one slice of cake will ruin your life will set yourself up for failure, moderation my friend /dr. phil
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree, saying no completely will drive you crazy. Then when you get home you may feel like you can have OTHER things because you didn't have that piece of cake.

Ask a friend in the office to split a piece with you, then take smaller bites then you normally would. It's really not that many calories, and you should pat yourself on the back for telling youself NO in the first place!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Go have a slice.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wow, not at all what I expected. Thanks you guys, you're so right. It's about controlling myself, not punishing myself. :smile:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    EAT THE CAKE AND BRING ME A PIECE!!!!
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Eat a piece! And if you feel guilty about it afterwards, burn the cals that you went over by, or if you didn't go over, burn half of the cals it was worth. So if it was 400 cals you went over by, burn 200. And so you don't crave a second piece, drink one to two cups of water before you eat the cake so you feel fuller before you eat it

And bring me a piece will ya ;-)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Is it your birthday?

Yes- have a small piece, savor and log it

No- move on and drink a glass of water
  • poohmarsh
    poohmarsh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So far, having a sweet treat hasn't hurt my weight loss. I try to have a small piece and move on. I also have brought some low cal treats that I like and keep them in my filing cabinet - 100 calorie snacks, Fiber One 90 calorie bars, and sugar free pudding snacks (my favorite). I try to grab one of them when I just can't pass something up, but don't want to eat something too high calorie.
  • LesleLu4
    Options
    It's pretty much always birthday cake where I work (doctors office...lots of nurses, front office workers, etc.). Or doughnut day, or pasta-lunch day..

I feel your pain. :cry:
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    We celebrate birthdays once a month at our office and there are about three of the ladies that make all of the goodies. One month I volunteered to make a "fruitcake" (a cake made of fruit). It was the first time in about 20 years that something healthy had shown up at the birthday celebrations. To my surprise many people opted for the fruit over the cakes and treats. Now they serve fruit as an option at every celebration and it always gets eaten.

Perhaps you could consider volunteering to bring something healthy to share at the next celebration.

fruitcake.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    beasties.jpg
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have this dillema at our office all the time! I generally cut a slice and share it with two of the other girls who are dieting as well! We get the taste, kill the craving @ 1/3 of the calories! ;-) You could also cut yourself a really thin slice if you haven't got a buddy to share it with! ;-)
  • Scott277
    Options
    Why are people saying eat it haha? Not very encouraging.

Its birthday cake/leaving cake/ something cake for the hell of it at my work all week lol im better than the cake, my body deserves better!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    At my office, there are treat so often that I had to call a moratorium for myself. Once I stopped for a few weeks, I stopped caring about the sweets. If I eat it once, I start craving it!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could consider volunteering to bring something healthy to share at the next celebration.

fruitcake.jpg

If you don't want to be asked to bring anything... ever again.

Bring this to my birthday and guess who is making a second trip to the grocery store.