Anyone else love Jerky??

Options
I always thought jerky was for red necks and white trash.... But I've found a new appreciation for it!

Its great to take on the road with you, especially if you don't feel like having yet another chocolate / peanut butter / caramel granola bar.

Anyone have a favorite brand or flavor?

Replies

• ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love it.... I like the 'original' flavor... it is always good to have on you... I haven't had it in a while now..hmmmm might get some!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat Jack Links original all the time. I used to like the Pemmican original but they changed the flavor and now I cant stand it! :(
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love jerky. I love jerky. I love jerky.

I like spicy.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly love all kinds of Jerky , spicy and mild :):) My brother in law makes a great jerky!! Melts in your mouth:wink:
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love turkey jerky. But I don't eat them often.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love it! I didn't know it was associated with rednecks. I've eaten it my whole life.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love it. High quality jerky is so much better than Jack Link's or whatever store brands you can find. I prefer to buy it online. A fellow forum member at another site has some really delicious jerky here:

http://www.greenlightjerky.com/

Edit: I just ordered myself some because this post made me hungry
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love it, eat it all the time. I usually get Jack Links because that's what I can find. I sometimes get the good stuff from the grass fed beef people at the farmers market. I just bought a bunch today because that's what my first grader wants to take to school for her snack.
  • MOTH477
    Options
    I was at 711 and I saw Jack Link's with Cholula Hot Sauce. I had to try it. It's good but not as spicy as I expected. By the way who eats only the suggested serving size of 1oz? It's like teasing yourself. On the other hand if you look at the amount of Sodium per serving, it might make you think twice about eating the whole bag.
  • kevinwk
    Options
    Oh Boy! Oberto, original and perppered. Salmon jerky is also good.
  • jamiesuperfox
    jamiesuperfox Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love jerky so much I made my own sooo good !
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love jerky so much I made my own sooo good !

mmmm this...I have my own dehydrator and make jerky all the time. it does take time but the house smells so good while it's dehydrating. plus the sodium can be regulated.
  • redkitty615
    redkitty615 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Jack Links Teriyaki flavor....mmmm But I really miss the teriyaki jerky made by a guy that sold under the name of Moose in the West Kingdom - SCA :tongue: (rumored to sell at Denio's in Roseville, CA - but not verified).........
  • everesttrek
    everesttrek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really? Rednecks and white trash? It is pretty expensive for white trash. Way more than cigs and beer. Hippies and granola heads (the ones who have not gone all vegan that is) are the ones that use it a lot. Back packers and hikers use it and cross fit/paleo diet eaters love it for added protein on the fly. I guess your conclusions were absolutly bad assumptions.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have Elk jerky. mmmmm.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I make my own in a cheap dehydrator my dad bought from the thrift store and gave to me. He frequently buys meat on sale, cuts it up for me, and gives it to me to make jerky. I make my own sugar free marinade. Sooooo yummy!

I usually do soy sauce, red wine or apple cider vinegar, garlic and onion powder, fresh garlic, lots of freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, powdered ginger, liquid smoke, and a little bit of whatever artificial sweetener I feel like using.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Most is too salty for me but I have one I order that is reasonable on sodium, low calorie and fat and low carbs. It is quite tasty as well. http://www.simplysnackin.com/

They come in single serving packs so I throw some in my purse or Jeep so I have a snack when I am doing errands.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a dehydrator out in the garage and make my own jerky. Love the stuff.
  • Methinksabout
    Options
    Looooooove Jerky!! Would love to try making it at home, but don't have a dehydrater - does anyone know if you can do it in the oven on a low heat as well?

Any recipes? Would love to try it with turkey breast, any experiences? Feel free to send me a message if you can help, I can't access the forums that often.. :-(

Thanks to my fellow jerky lovers!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Really? Rednecks and white trash? It is pretty expensive for white trash. Way more than cigs and beer. Hippies and granola heads (the ones who have not gone all vegan that is) are the ones that use it a lot. Back packers and hikers use it and cross fit/paleo diet eaters love it for added protein on the fly. I guess your conclusions were absolutly bad assumptions.

That's what I was thinking too. Rednecks? Really? Maybe deer jerky for the hunters. :laugh: