Weird Running question

Options
I admit this may seem like a bit of a weird question or manybe something weird with my training. So here are a few points about me.

1. I am 5'8 and 142 so I am in a fairly healthy weight according to charts (if you look at them)
2. I am a major pear shape person. So, a good chunk of my weight is below my waist
3. I have a pretty small upper body (um, weak, LOL) Trying terribly bad to build muscle in my upper body
4. I have been running about 1 year consistently (mostly 5k or less)

So back to my question...

When I run more than like a 5k, I have a tough time. Not due to lung capacity but due to what I call leg capacity. My inner thighs hurt so bad I have to stop running and walk. I am trying to increase my mileage for a 1/2 marathon so I am trying to figure this out. I am not out of breathe at all but my inner thighs are just killing me ( I have to really dig deep). So, do you think this is a matter of my pear shape and my weight being in that area? Do I just need to strengthen my legs more? Maybe I have bad form and thus I am putting too much pressure on my inner thighs? Would love your thoughts! Also, my husband has suggested that I should possibly run in compressin shorts instead of regular running shorts to see if that may help. Any thoughts on that?

I apologise if this is a very weird question. Just trying to find some answers.

Thank you for any input you have.

Replies

• EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I don't think that is a weird question.

I have a few things for you to think about.

1. Increase your mileage very slowly. If you increase too quickly, you could end up with an overuse injury. So if you are currently running three miles, try to bump that up to 3.5 for a couple weeks and then up to 4. Do do a huge jump in mileage.

2. Your running form. I had major issues with my running form. I went from injury to injury because my form was so bad. I ended up reading a book called "Chi Running". I totally changed my running form based on this book and have been injury free for several years now. It's worth checking out.

3. The compression shorts. I think this is an interesting idea. Try it out.

Good luck!!!
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your input! FYI, I am increasing mileage slowly so I know I am good on that front. I will check out that book.

It is just so frustrating as I have great breathing/lunge capacity etc. I really hope I don't have form issues and I try to be very cognizant of form while running.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    When I run more than like a 5k, I have a tough time. So, do you think this is a matter of my pear shape and my weight being in that area?
    Nope. I think it is this:

4. I have been running about 1 year consistently (mostly 5k or less)
    If you are trained to run no more than 5K, it's going to hurt when you are starting to run more than 5K.
    Slowly increase your mileage, and your legs will become trained to handle the distance. Stay consistent, and in a few months, greater distances will be no problem for you!
  • Fit2befitZ
    Options
    I am increasing slowly and am following a training plan for the half marathon. The plan I am on is supposed to take you from a 5k to a half. I have been trying to be very careful about adding mileage but can certainly dial it back a bit more, if that is what is needed. Also, I am running in an area with hills. Do you think that would/should impact how I increase the mileage?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are running too fast? Even if it seems slow, if you can't keep going, then perhaps it is too fast for you at this point in your training.

For me, the key to running further is to slow down and to build in walk breaks.
    I also do some interval training, which is the only time I really try to put on a burst of speed, otherwise, I go SLOW, really slow!

This strategy got me through a half marathon 2 weeks ago in a time of 2:28 which I was pretty happy with.

Hills make it tough -but again, it's more about speed for me than distance. I just slow down (even more!) on hills, and walk part of it if I can't make it up them all running - there are some killer hills near me too!
  • shannonm262
    Options
    I think you need to strengthen your legs & increase slowly the miles. If you have ran 3 miles no problem then you should be able to increase gradually as well & be fine. When you increase the miles you will burn calories too & lose electrolytes so proper fluid intake as well before, during & after ;) maybe that's what your legs could be telling you too.
  • ixap
    Options
    I am increasing slowly and am following a training plan for the half marathon. The plan I am on is supposed to take you from a 5k to a half. I have been trying to be very careful about adding mileage but can certainly dial it back a bit more, if that is what is needed. Also, I am running in an area with hills. Do you think that would/should impact how I increase the mileage?
    That's great! What week are you in your training plan? What mileage do they have you doing?

I think you'd run the same mileage with or without hills, but you'll adjust your pace (slower on hills). That may also help to explain the leg soreness. There's more of a strength component to hill running than running on flat roads. The hilly route is a much more likely culprit than your body shape. Makes for tough workouts, but you'll end up very strong, which is great.

However, if you can find a flatter course at least once a week or so to give your legs as little break, and focus more on speed during that workout, that would be ideal in my opinion.
  • kyosborne
    Options
    Perhaps you could try different running shoes more suited to your pronation? The pain you describe reminds me of the shin splints I get if I don't wear running shoes which correct my gait. The pain is unbearable after about 4km, despite having plenty of breath left.

Inner thigh pain is related to oversupination. Perhaps look at your current running shoes and see if the soles have worn unevenly, that could be a giveaway as to any corrections needed.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Options
    I really am thinking it may be the hills. I travel for a living and right now I am going to Florida where there is a lot of flat surfaces. I run twice in Florida during the week and once on the weekend at home (where the hills are) and this is my long run. I thought it was the longer run but I am thinking it may be more the hills that I am running on for my long run. As I typed this I am wondering if it is the combo of long and hill since I run the flat surfaces during the week. This weekend we are going to a running park that has a more flat surface. I will see if this works out better then our normal route that was just around the neighborhood. Guess I need to expand my horizons. :flowerforyou:

I am currently up to 5 miles on the training plan.

FYI, I have been to the running store and had a full gait analysis and fitting for my shoes on multiple occasions recently. I am hoping it isn't the shoes. But, I have no problem having another gait analysis performed.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has already said- find a novice half-marathon training program and don't overshoot your mileage. Go get fitted for proper shoes if you haven't already- if you're in the wrong shoes, your food lands wrong and you can have joint problems all the way up to your hips, and muscular imbalances from the foot rolling one way or the other.

Also, I always run in compression tights- even in the summer heat I wear capri length compression tights. Anything shorter moves around and drives me bananas and eventually chafing ensues on long runs- in my experience if they go past my knees they don't go anywhere. I only have a couple really good expensive pairs that I take care of and wear all the time- they were worth every penny. I wear the capri length until it's too cold, and then I have full length cold weather winter ones.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ... I have to stop running and walk. I am trying to increase my mileage for a 1/2 marathon so I am trying to figure this out. I am not out of breathe at all but my inner thighs are just killing me ( I have to really dig deep).

Just to double check, are your inner thighs aching from chaffing and rubbing, or is the muscle itself pained?

If chaffing, longer shorts or anti-chaffing balm would help.

If it is muscle, I would think it is either weakness in the adductors (inner thigh muscles), or perhaps referred pain. Can you perform weighted side lunges? We women have a tendency to weak leg muscles, especially adductors and hamstrings. Our quads may be our strongest muscles, and we have to even out the remaining muscles to protect our knees. Runners are usually that much more compensated on quad strength, further reducing the strength of the other muscle groups.

I agree that the wrong shoes could exacerbate an existing issue, so would second the recommendation to have your shoes and stride checked by professionals.

I have very similar measurements to yourself, and have not experienced upper leg muscle pain with my beginning running program (I've now been running nine months or so consistently) ... the calves were a different story when I began though! I am working my way through "New Rules of Lifting for Abs" and am noticing gains in adductor and hamstring strength.

Good luck in identifying and addressing your culprit!
  • ixap
    Options
    I really am thinking it may be the hills.
    Me too. Feel free to go slow on the uphills, even walking many or most of them if you need to. Ramping up the distance is hard enough, doing it on hills is a lot harder! Better to set a conservative pace than to get burnt out or injured from too much too hard too fast. Next time around you can work on setting a faster time.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    GET FITTED FOR SHOES!!!!!! If you haven't already..just a pair of shoes can be ALLLLLL the difference in pain and having a good run!!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    HIlls will challenge the quads. For sure. BUT, don't discount your form. I was a major scoffer when it came to discussions on form. One JACKED UP left leg later, I've had to switch from heel striker to forefoot striking. Not the easiest transition. Especially on the calves, but it has improved my "injury prone-ness".

If it's really really bad, look for a sports medicine doc in your area and see what advice he/she would give. Mine has been a life saver!

And, I've been running a year now and about 10 months in, I ran my first half (when the seriously jacked up leg happened) and I'm prepping for my 2nd half in less than a month. So, if you have the lung capacity, you should be able to slowly build up the mileage. If you're doing things slowly and consistantly, it may be time to have a professional help you out.

Oh. . .and make sure you have high quality shoes that have been professionally fitted!

There. My 2+ cents worth.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Might you have a lower back problem? My hip and leg has been killing me when doing a lot of very brisk walking. It isn't my legs/hips/pelvis. It's a nerve in my lower back that causes problems down my leg and into my toes.

Explore up that area and see how it feels - I never would have noticed it hurt until I touched it.

Mine is caused by bad posture when slouching at the computer.

Good luck.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Options
    Sorry I have been real busy today.

But, yes it is my muscle and not chaffing. I have been fitted professionally for my shoes twice in the last 6 months so it has even been recently.

I did fail to mention that I have a lipoma on my left hip but I have had that for a couple of years (doc doesn't want to have it removed). Hopefully that isn't causing any issues. So yes it is close to my back but typically doesn't cause me any posture or any other issues.

I have a run planned this evening but again I am on the road so it will be a flat surface. I will see how I am feeling from that run. My guess at this point it may be related to hills on my long runs. I am going to pay attention to how I am doing on the hills. Although this weekend we are going to a running park that is more flat then where we typically run.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and input! It really is much appreciated.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    GET FITTED FOR SHOES!!!!!! If you haven't already..just a pair of shoes can be ALLLLLL the difference in pain and having a good run!!!

I have the same problem as you. When I run my breathing is fine, I could carry on a conversation, but my legs kill me. I carry more weight in my lower half as well. My ankle, my thighs. I think it has got to be my shoes. I am saving up so I can go get fitted for a proper pair of running shoes. Right now I wear the Nike Free Runs that have very little support, I think I need something better.