New to Fitness Pal, looking for support & to give support to

Options
My goal is to lose 25 lbs, its really tough for me to stay motivated & stick with a diet & exercise. I love sweets & junk food, & its very hard for me to resist them, so I am really hope that signing up for this, will help keep me focused & stick with my diet & exercise. I unfortunetly have been diagnosed with Hypothryoidism, which effects your metabolism, so it makes it even tougher to lose weight, but I am taking medication for it, but unfortunetly havent lost any weight with it, just seem to be gaining. I just started my diet & exercise today, so thats the first step.

Replies

• hmssrm
    hmssrm Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi lcfmarie. Don't get discouraged is what I keep telling myself. I too loved sweets and fast food. I ate it everyday without fail. I decided to go on a diet after my sister told me that I should go on The Biggest Loser. That felt like a punch to the gut. I didn't even realize that I had gained so much weight and had stayed that way for over a decade. I told myself that's it and I started my diet on Nov 15 at 280.8 and weighed in this morning at 240.4! I set a realistic goal and a hard to reach goal on a spreadsheet to keep track. As long as I fell in between both I consider myself to be doing good. I too have a very slow metabolism, but if you stick with a good diet plan and exercise often you CAN lose the weight.

Good Luck and Stay Motivated!
  • cabochik
    Options
    Icfmarie,
    I have the same condition as you do. Have you been working out? It will make a big difference. I have been using fitnesspal for about 1 month and lost almost 10 lbs. Stay with it. It works!
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    First of all welcome. I have the same thyroid condition for over 20 yrs. I have never lost any weight on the medicine nor have i ever felt like i had more energy. I think it is the case for some and not for others. The meds help the thyroid to function better. There are other benefits than weight lose that the meds have. If you don't take your meds you could end up with liver, kidney, heart, etc.... problems. That is the big picture. Weight loss is a bonus but not the purpose.

I have found in my short time on here that i really need to eat my calories. I get 1550 per day with a goal to loose 1-2 lbs per week. I am doing just that. At first when i started logging my food in the diary i was having a difficult time getting over 1200. I had always been told to loose weight i need to stay under 1200. WRONG!!!! Some people when they start eating more to get up their cals might gain a little weight but I didn't. I actually lost weight right away.

Stay with it and find a nice group or several groups at first. Good luck out there........:flowerforyou:
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    Greetings Icf.
    I am new as well and have the same issues.... I enjoy sweets way too much ..
    I have a hard time losing weight at times. Feels like it takes me a lil longer to lose it than other people.
    we Can do it mind over matter.
  • izzypup
    Options
    Greetings Icf.
    I am new as well and have the same issues.... I enjoy sweets way too much ..
    I have a hard time losing weight at times. Feels like it takes me a lil longer to lose it than other people.
    we Can do it mind over matter.

I have always felt that way! Why do others lose and i don't? I work out twice as hard and look- nothing! All in all ... for the first time ever i can eat and loose. Now, i do eat more veggies and fruits just to get my calories up and stay under in my fats and carbs. I am not really a junk food junkie or am a big sweets eater. I do like foods like pizza, lasagna, etc..... So now i have pizza but it is Kashi roasted red pepper/veggies, or spinach and cheese. Not quite the same but still will take care of the pizza crave.
  • lcfmarie
    Options
    You had mentioned you had a difficult time with getting up to 1550 calorie diet, I am having a really tough time with my 1200 daily calorie intake, I feel my eating healthy & light I still go over 1200 calories a day, & still feel like I am starving & get light headed & tired from eating so light, any suggestions?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Lcfmarie, I am going to suggest that you eat more. Have you filled out the goals on this website and had it suggest what you should eat calorie wise to lose 1 or 1.5 lbs per week? If you feel hungry then your body probably is. Don't shock it into starvation by eating too little.

Get on the other forums and look for the Newbie posts that people keep on here..there is alot of useful information about eating enough calories, etc.

(love your hair btw!)
    Lacey
  • izzypup
    Options
    You had mentioned you had a difficult time with getting up to 1550 calorie diet, I am having a really tough time with my 1200 daily calorie intake, I feel my eating healthy & light I still go over 1200 calories a day, & still feel like I am starving & get light headed & tired from eating so light, any suggestions?

Did you set the 1200 calories a day or did MFP? If you are getting light headed and tired then you are not eating enough or enough of the correct things.
  • lcfmarie
    Options
    MFP set my daily calorie intake to 1,200, which I feel I should maybe bump it up to 1500, as that is about what it equals to every day or close to that, and I feel like i am eating fairly healthy, been eating oranges, banannas, oatmeal, light sandwhich, carrots, I have read on here to to help satisfy hunger that almonds in moderation are good for that, so might try that. Thank you so much for all your advice, it helps to keep me motivated as its not easy dieting, when your like me that loves to eat!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and good luck! I know you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • lcfmarie
    Options
    Thank you for the pointers. MFP suggested I go on a 1,200 calorie diet, but I keep going over it by like 250 - 350 every day & still hungry. Do you know how I can go on there & change it to a 1,500 calorie diet, as I mentioned I feel hungry quite a bit more with this new diet & will look at ideas & tips on here. I really like this website & the supportive people such as yourself.

Lisa
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Click on the My Home tab, then underneath it, click on Goals...and then you can do manual or automatic goal set up.