30 day shred

Options
I am starting (attempting to start) Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. I looked for it in the exercise database but it isn't there and I have no idea how many calories it burns. Has anyone else tried entering this workout? What did you put it under and what is the calorie count?
Thanks
Katie

Replies

• maddycovs
    Options
    I started this one week ago! I've been entering it as circuit training, general. For me it burns around 400 calories in the half hour. It is a good workout, but level one is a little too easy.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I use 20 min of circuit training and burns about 155 calories, that may a tad lower than what it really burns , someone else said they used that :)
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i did it last summer and logged it as 20 minutes of circuit training, but i have no idea how accurate that was. it said i burned something like 200-250 calories per workout. the best way to know how much you're burning is to get a heart rate monitor, but i have yet to do that.
  • BrandiKitchin
    Options
    I am not able to answer your question, however I have a question for you! Are you enjoying the work out? Would it be ideal for someone who is not active but would like to be more active? Or would it be too intense for a first timer?
  • SophieC19
    SophieC19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I also put it in as circuit training, general :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I don't do 30 day shred, but I do Shred with Weights, Extreme Shed and Shred and Ripped in 30 (just to give myself some variety), I use high impact aerobics and the # of mintues I workout. I figure its close enough until I breakdown I buy a fitbit.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I also use circuit training for the 30 Day shred....but I don't think I get anywhere near 400 calories on mine!? I think it's in the 200s. Right now I"m doing ripped in 30 and using the same. :) I think it actually doesn't burn much so I do my elliptical or run also. It's a killer workout though! Best wishes. Listen to her very well when she gives you tips on form...it will save you an injury. :)
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm 222lbs, 5'4, and when I did 30DS I logged it as circuit, it estimated close to 400cals for the workout. Now that I have a HRM I've gone back and done it, and the HRM gives me close to 180cals. I don't know if that's because I've completed it twice and it's now less challenging or if it's because circuit training is a huge overestimate of calories for that workout.
  • kalle940
    Options
    I just started it, and its pretty intense for me even on level one. Keeping in mind, however, I pretty much never work out and basically have no upper body strength... But I like that she breaks up the exercises into smaller increments, so it isn't too much at once.
  • sparksshannon
    sparksshannon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I log it as Aerobics, general and it says I burn 231 calories for 25 minutes. I am on level one day 4 I started September 1st and plan on doing it every day!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am not able to answer your question, however I have a question for you! Are you enjoying the work out? Would it be ideal for someone who is not active but would like to be more active? Or would it be too intense for a first timer?

i did it as a first timer who never ever ever used weights or anything before. it was a little intense and i definitely had to modify a few moves, but it felt soooo good once i completed the workout. that said, i was only about 30lbs overweight when i tried it. i imagine it might be difficult for someone who is extremely out of shape, but you won't know until you try it. just a warning, there is a LOT of jumping around so if you have bad knees/bad back/bad anything i would suggest jogging in place instead of doing some of jillian's crazy moves.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I log it as light calestenics. It says I only burn like 90 calories, but I'd rather underestimate than overestimate. I can't imagine I'm burning more than 150-200 calories in the 30 minutes, though. I think most people I've seen that have tracked it with their HRM say they burn in the mid 100's in one session.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The DVD on level 2 weighing 150 burns 167 calories in 20 mins burns 503 calories an hour, hope this helps
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM - I get 180-190 a session.