Foods that can satisfy your hunger?

Options
My goal is to lose 25lbs. I have just started a 1,200 calorie daily intake diet, on my 2nd day so far, & im really struggling with eating so few of calories, been going over it everyday without even eating that much. I have been eating carrots, oranges, a plain ham sandwhich for lunch, oatmeal, for breakfast & fish, or pizza etc, for dinner. Does anyone know how to curb my appetite as the fruits & veggies for snacks is not helping at all, I feel tired & weak when I am eating so light like this, & still have to find the energy to workout for at least a half hour, any suggestions?

Replies

• schroeder1996
    Options
    Try eating more protein for snacks (an ounce of nuts or peanut butter) and save your veggies/fruit to eat with your meal. I have been eating 1 oz of Emarld Coca Roast Almonds (159 calories I think) for snack once a day and it seems to fill me up a lot longer than fruit/veggies. I know it is higher calories but I figure I'm not as hungry so it evens out.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vegetables like squash, or sweet potatoes? They're extremely filling, nutritious, and low calorie, PLUS they're in season, so they're fairly inexpensive!
    Here are a bunch of squash recipes:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_squash_recipes
    My personal favorite is the southwestern stuffed squash. 1 serving (which fills me up) is approx 260 cals.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my golden food, green tea is great also, has caffeine and very good for you.... both these help me with my afternoon slump... Also, with every dinner I usually drink a glass of milk, no matter what it is I am eating, I am always full! Good luck, and whatever you do, don't give up, it takes your body awhile to adjust to a different way of eating.
  • heathie88
    Options
    I just started this week too and I totally can relate to you. Today has been much better. When I was trying to figure out foods to keep me full, I realized that I wasnt getting enough protein in my diet. So today I have made sure that I have upped my protein (I had meat at breakfast and peanut butter for lunch) and so far I have felt much much better!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Eat some type of nuts such as almonds. They are filling & healthy. Just make sure you measure your serving size! Also, granola bars help me with hnger.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Other posters are right, protein is the way to go to feel full. I have fallen in love with Bolthouse protein shakes (in the fridge of the produce section at Giant Eagle or Whole Foods). The vanilla chai tea and chocolate are really tasty and really filling. I often drink some before I go work out or as a breakfast or lunch replacement after. Just be careful not to drink too much, it is calorie heavy. I also am obssesed with Laughing Cow cheese. It's little wedges of spreadable cheese...I particularly love the garlic and herb. It's only 40 calories per wedge and spread on a few whole wheat crackers or some celery or carrot slices gets me through from after school (I'm a teacher) to dinner without spending too many calories.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I think if u are eating healthy foods it takes your body time to adjust to eating fewer cals, but I also think some people NEED more cals
    When I first came here I was told I needed 12,000 cals but I knew no way I could to that....I'm just too active and have always been a big eater...so I shot for 1500 cals and lost weight
    If u are eating healthy food and find yourself still hungry, I would opt for a handful of nuts, cheese stick, yogurt, or apple...hit the spot for me

GOOD LUCK!