Is working out less better?

Options
I am hitting a plateau still and am trying the working out less is better route. But I tried it today again and I feel horrible. I usually do 60 - 90 min of cardio 6 days a week and I am scaling it down to 45 minutes for a few of those workouts. I cant skip a whole day - I already take off 1 day. I did 45 min today and wanted to do more and I feel jumpy and tense now. I didn't get as good a workout as I normally do and I dont like it...but I am willing to try anything to get off this plateau! What are everyone's thoughts??

Replies

• halueck
    Options
    When I hit a plateau or a rut, I try to do interval training. I can workout fewer minutes, but feel like I have a more intense workout. I will walk fast for 2 minutes, then run for 1 minute. My running intervals will get faster each time. (I like to see how fast I can run.) I have also done this routine on the elliptical -- either faster or at a higher level (harder). You might also consider adding in weight training. I found when I lift weights, my weight loss continued. I try to incorporate both upper and lower body exercises so I get a whole body workout. I have used the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It really works and I definitely got stronger. Just some ideas. Good Luck!
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do weight train 3x a week for an hour. I'm considreing getting a personal trainer at my gym to help. I have also tried the HIIT on the treadmill but not consistantly. I might try that again. I was doing it about 1x a week for 30 min but I also did 30min on the Elliptical before it too. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    how long have you been stuck?
  • 21yearsin25weeks
    Options
    I had the same prob, I do agree with interval training though.. But also watch what your eating? Maybe... your having too much or not enough for the amount of excerise your doing ! In my case it was thrashing myself at the gym for 90mins 6 days a week, and not giving my body the nutrients it needed.
  • NorCalRey
    NorCalRey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio. More than necessary for weight loss but probably necessary if you are still training to run a half-marathon. As far as your plateau, I'd focus more on your diet to see better results in your weight-loss.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on plateaus that I found quite helpful: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html It addresses making changes to your workouts.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That's a lot more work than I did to make this transformation http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/699445-zomg-my-first-big-cut-is-over
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    I cannot cut back on my workout (7 days a week) or I will go nuts. I usually try mixing up my diet. I either raise or lower my calorie intake or adjust macro nutrients like carbs, fat and protein. For me I have found this the most effective way to break through. The only adjustment I ever make to my cardio workout is what HR zone I maintain for a week at a time. This is as much as I mix it up as I enjoy my work outs too much to do it less.
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    I am hitting a plateau still and am trying the working out less is better route. But I tried it today again and I feel horrible. I usually do 60 - 90 min of cardio 6 days a week and I am scaling it down to 45 minutes for a few of those workouts. I cant skip a whole day - I already take off 1 day. I did 45 min today and wanted to do more and I feel jumpy and tense now. I didn't get as good a workout as I normally do and I dont like it...but I am willing to try anything to get off this plateau! What are everyone's thoughts??

I feel exactly the same way if I miss or short change a cardio workout. 60 is the minimum for me and 90 is the norm. Try mixing up your diet instead.