Protein Shakes - When to have them?

Options
I have whey protein shake formula at home of my dads and he doesn't use it sooooo I want to, BUT, I have never had protein shakes in my life. When is it best to have one before or after exercise or anytime, how many times a day, etc? Any advice or tips on this would be greatly appreciated! :):)

Replies

• 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I like to have one after an intense strength training session. I also have one in the morning to get a quick dose of protein and it makes a quick breakfast.

I also use them to reach my protein macros without consuming too much calories. Just mix with water (or milk, almond milk, etc etc) in a blender bottle preferably and slam it. That's the simple way at least. You can also incorporate it into other smoothies to up the protein. I'm sure others will chime in with some smoothie recipes.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There isn't any best time to have one. It's more or less for convenience when you do not have an actual meal to eat or to supplement your protein intake. I drink mine (blend of whey, casein and eggs) 30 minutes prior to training. Proteins have varying absorption rates meaning some will feed amino acids to your muscles for longer duration: for example, whey will last less than an hour, eggs up to 3 and casein up to 7. Thus, when I eat an actual meal after my workout, I am still getting a stream of amino acids from the slower digested protein sources of eggs and casein.
  • emmashutt91
    Options
    Great thank you :) just because i've never done them I didn't know if you HAD to do exercise for them to work or if it was just something you could have as a shake. I really should read up on it really I have no idea what the benefits are or anything :/ so would you have one after a jog or more like a work out dvd or the gym?
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have mine after my workout usually in the morning, I use whey protein,unsweetened almond milk and frozen berries and blend it up..yummy :)
  • emmashutt91
    Options
    Well I don't really train as such, I just usually go for a 30/40 min jog or do DVDs which are a mix of cardio and strength training, which I try do either one each day around work so what would you suggest??
  • emmashutt91
    Options
    Ooo that does sound really good! Does it taste like crap on its own then haha
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    You can get rather creative with protein powder. I make various smoothies and even do no-bake protein brownies. Seriously, you can add it to nearly anything to supplement your daily protein intake and turn a snack into a healthy, nutritionally dense meal.

Again, if you want, you can. The bottom line is, at the end of the day, hitting the caloric goal you are aiming for. If taking a shake, whenever that may be, helps, then go for it.
  • FitSlimHappy
    Options
    I tend to either have one for breakfast as a meal replacement or after exercise! Protein is great for repairing muscles so after the wear and tear of a workout, taking a protein shake can minimise the 'achy' feeling afterwards or the day after an intense session!
    hope this helps :)
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    You can get rather creative with protein powder. I make various smoothies and even do no-bake protein brownies. Seriously, you can add it to nearly anything to supplement your daily protein intake and turn a snack into a healthy, nutritionally dense meal.

Again, if you want, you can. The bottom line is, at the end of the day, hitting the caloric goal you are aiming for. If taking a shake, whenever that may be, helps, then go for it.

AGREED! Protein powder is an excellent snack or additive. I've made protein bars with it, too. I usually have a protein drink after a workout to aid in muscle repair/growth, as prescribed by a lot of fitness experts. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water if adding more protein than recommended for your BMI; kidney stones are a real liklihood otherwise (but don't let that scare you off!)
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Ooo that does sound really good! Does it taste like crap on its own then haha
    Every powder is going to taste a certain way. I buy Trutein which is regarded as one of the top 3 best-tasting powders on the market. Their CinnaBun smells and tastes like the cinnamon dough of a cinnabun; Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup is like a light Reece's; and Banana Cream is just like a banana moon pie. To up calories, though, I always use 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of oatmeal and Saigon cinnamon to turn mine more into a meal replacement.
  • emmashutt91
    Options
    Thanks guys, has helped a lot! Just had a read up to so i'm going to give it a bash for breakfast tomorrow and see how it goes! The only thing that worried me was weight gain with it I dunno if that's just something I got into my head that isn't true haha just want to start to tone up now and lose the last bit of fat!
  • emmashutt91
    Options

AGREED! Protein powder is an excellent snack or additive. I've made protein bars with it, too. I usually have a protein drink after a workout to aid in muscle repair/growth, as prescribed by a lot of fitness experts. Just be sure to drink LOTS of water if adding more protein than recommended for your BMI; kidney stones are a real liklihood otherwise (but don't let that scare you off!)

this has scared me now hahah
  • emmashutt91
    Options
    just had a look at the one I have and it's called 'precision engineered' or something :/ and its strawberry flavour yaaay