I find it so hard to keep track sometimes....

Options
Do you guys track every single thing or just the main meal? For example if I make oatmeal & add a splash of almond milk on top & a handful of raisins I'm not always sure how to add that all up. Or if I sneak a few bites of macaroni & cheese, not sure how to count that either. I'm finding that I just don't log or stop logging stuff half way through the day out of frustration.

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In the oatmeal situation, I'd typically log all of the ingredients. Besides, a handful of raisins can really add up! Same for the taking random bites of things here and there. I'd log it as some insane portion, like 0.06 of a cup, which is pretty much the size of a tablespoon. I like being honest with myself, that's all! (:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    weigh it, measure it, log it I have a food scale that weighs in grams or oz and a white board in the kitchen. My scale can be zeroed after each addition so I know how much of each add on I used. Measuring spoons/cups are also a big help. I will record it on my board as I go along and then log it. You will find that if you do this for a while you will get to know how much you are using and it makes logging a lot easier.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    In the oatmeal situation, I'd typically log all of the ingredients. Besides, a handful of raisins can really add up! Same for the taking random bites of things here and there. I'd log it as some insane portion, like 0.06 of a cup, which is pretty much the size of a tablespoon. I like being honest with myself, that's all! (:

Nothing wrong with that! I just need to hold myself more accountable & pay better attention & log more. I know I am overeating because I haven't been logging & paying enough attention.
  • stevenpmiller
    stevenpmiller Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually skip logging raw vegetables because the calories are usually negligible. Same thing with stuff like hot sauce. Fruit I generally just guess on. I try to keep about 2-300 extra calories a day since i know i left stuff like that out.