Thyroid & Weightloss

Options
Day 1: Here I go!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I have GOT to get my weight under control. Also, does anyone else have a thyroid condition that affects their metabolism, too, like me?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sgraves0510
    Options
    Hi my name is Sherrie. I have hypothyroidism. I have been dealing with my condition since i was about 14. My grandmother and great grand mother have it also a few of my aunts. I have been on synthroid since i found out i had thyroid problems...i always feel tired, no energy, and hair loss. I have a problem getting my medicine because i don't have medical insurance. I only have a 2 1/2 months supply. But the thing is that i am very stubborn about taking my medicine...i just simply forget. But when i was taking it i still didn't feel like normal. im still sleepy all the time and no energy. but i want to start taking it again and go day by day to see if i feel any change. My current weight is 313lbs and i am completely disgusted by that number i have a 16 mo baby girl and i could not imagine getting so big that i can play with her or be with her throughout her life...so i started my fitness pal yesterday and i am determined to do it this time. i just need motivation and support. i hope that this will be one place i can find it.
  • Carolinapig
    Options
    Sherrie, It's very important that you take your meds as prescribed. My doctors says to take them either one hour before you eat, or three hours after. It will take several weeks for the meds to get into your system, and it's possible the dosage may need adjustment from time to time. Hypothyroidism can cause many symptoms, such as: weight gain, high cholesterol, depression, fatigue, feeling cold, swelling of the face, raspy voice, feeling cold, aches and pains, etc. Here's a link for more symptoms. http://www.synthroid.com/hypothyroidism/symptoms.aspx?cid=ppc_ppd_synth_ggl_synth_3288 If gone untreated, it can even cause heart failure.

Many people take the generic brand of medication (speak to your doctor about this). If so, generic can be purchased for $4 a month. Your health is worth it.

The original poster is my daughter, and I also have hypothyroidism. I have my condition under control, but still carry around the extra 35 pounds from my weight gain prior to my diagnosis. But, with the help of this site and exercise, I am determined to take it off. My daughter is getting married next May, and I want to feel good about myself at the wedding.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Certainly do! It's hard work, but as long as your numbers are controlled, then you can do it!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    yep, and I'm lost nearly 20 lbs in 2 months. It's possible with hard work. If you're on medication and take it every day when you're supposed to, you should have no issues =D
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my hair falls out like crazy, even though I'm on Synthroid. I don't always take it every day because I have another medication I'm also supposed to take first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so it's confusing. I've lost 25lbs in 3 months, so it's been a little slower than I'd like, but I'm happy with my progress.
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've hypothyroidism...Graves disease.
    I didn't gain weight because of it, but I was heavy when I was diagnosed, 5 1/2 years ago.
    So I did the usual med adjustments for a period of 4 years, with my weight staying about the same.

In April of this year, I started adding more exercise, measuring and weighing my food and generally getting healthier.
    Just being accountable to only myself has paid off big time. To date I have lost 35 pounds and am only 4 pounds from my current goal. I DO know that taking the meds is vital for me. My thyroid was "zapped" so I need the pills to live.

The weight loss may even mean that I can get a lower dose when I see the endocrinologist in January.

It's dedicated work..constant,,my new life! You can do this, too.
  • StephanieStroud
    StephanieStroud Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm hypothyroid too, and insulin resistant, and gluten intolerant. I began treatment for the insulin resistance in late June and I have to say that many of the symptoms of elevated blood sugar are the same as hypothyroid. My fatigue level has dropped dramatically and I finally have the energy to get the exercise that I need. Just food for thought, maybe check with your Dr.

Also, there is a group you can join here for people with Thyroid issues. The topics and discussions are really informative and everyone in the group seems to be really supportive.

Best of luck to you!
  • snpautz
    snpautz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, and I control it by taking my Synthroid every day. I had a hard time remembering it too, but I found that when I took it regularly, my weight was more manageable and I felt better, so I now keep a bottle of water and my pills by my bed so I take it as soon as I wake up.

I also felt tired a lot, even on the meds, so my doctor suggested taking a D supplement. It REALLY helped. I take a multi-vitamin, plus a CoQ10 (recommended by my GYN) and a D every night. I cannot tell you what a difference it's made in how I feel.

Between the Synthroid and the vitamins, I even had the energy to start running again. :smile:

Just a couple of tips....things that worked for me. Maybe it will help someone else too.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my hair falls out like crazy, even though I'm on Synthroid. I don't always take it every day because I have another medication I'm also supposed to take first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so it's confusing. I've lost 25lbs in 3 months, so it's been a little slower than I'd like, but I'm happy with my progress.

If you're not taking it every day, then you're not going to get the results you need from it. If you can't take it first thing in the morning because of another medication that needs to be done on an empty stomach, then take it just before bed. Even if it's not taken three hours after and an hour before eating, you're at least taking it. Take it every day no matter what!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also have hypothyroidism and have had a very slow loss, 10 months so far and i finally hit 17lb loss. i wanted to lose 20 and i never thought it was going to be so hard! i put on weight so easily and have a impossible time losing it, which was unlike me before i had the issue. I never had a hard time losing or gaining weight but not so now... I have been on meds since i was 24 ish and i am now almost 36. i had my dose upped a few months ago and it's made a huge difference so far and i go this month to get my levels re tested since my meds were upped. I am excited to see where my numbers are...
  • sgraves0510
    Options
    Carolinapig, I know i Can get back on track to taking my meds everyday its just that if i run out i dont have a regular doctor to go to. Nor the money to pay for one. But i am gonna shop around and see if i can get help on that. Im really glad i became a member on this site i feel that it will help me and encourage me to lose the weight and i know its gonna be hard at first but i just have to put my mind to it and being so young itd good that i start now. i recently got married but we are having our church ceremony in may so i really want to loose some weight by then but hopefully not too much cuz then i would have to buy another dress...but i want to loose some by then but really push it hard by then. thanks for all the feedback and advice..it is greatly appreciated.
  • Pcrossley14
    Pcrossley14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have hypo as well, and I started taking thyroid medication in March of this year, and I really can't tell much of a difference. Maybe I don't feel as tired anymore, but I thought it was going to help me lose the weight naturally, but it hasn't. I have to be very strict with my diet and work out to lose a few pounds. This thyroid thing is so frustrating. I hate having a low metabolism. What's most frustrating is that my mom and sister eat a ton and they are soooo skinny, but I got the bad genes. I hate it.
  • focusandfight
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I am learning all about my thyroid disease and see that there are so many factors that influence and inhibit progress. I am learning about the gluten free approach. Wow- who knew daily living with food choices could be so rough!
    I am going to have to retrain my body and adapt to a whole new eating lifestyle. My fiance is very supportive and is willing to keep the frig 'healthy" and help with certain groceries.
    I do not exercise and I know I HAVE to. It's going to be like a prescription for me. I will have to take it (do it) just like my medication.
    I need to monitor my moderation and calorie consumption.
    I am getting married in May 2013 and I want to feel beautiful.

I actually found myself avoiding certain unhealthy foods to I wouldn't have to sign on and 'log in". Hahaha

My mom encouraged me to join this site and she has already lost 10 pounds! I am so proud of her. She is beautiful inside and out but I know how she wants to feel on my wedding day, too. :)
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    :happy: I have read these comments been helpful already I don't take the meds because makes me sicker feeling.but maybe I should give it another shot .I haven't been able to lose 15 pound for 5years never have weighed. This my much disgusted .I believe for me mindless eating and it maybe a small snack but its less then a hour after dinner its habit .::
  • ChampagnePaulie
    ChampagnePaulie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had thyroid problems since I was 16 when I had my first nodule removed. Since then I have had three more removed and been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I had what was left of my thyroid removed in 2005 (apart from 2mm of tissue that was in too dangerous a place to remove). I had radioactive iodine treatment and go to the cancer centre every 6 months. I take 300mcg of levothyroxine daily. My metabolism is very slow and it takes a while for my weight to come off.

From time to time my TSH levels go out of kilter and my weight goes up. There isn't any reason for it, I don't eat or do anything different it just happens. I have to keep the TSH levels surpressed to stop the 2mm of thyroid tissue regenerating and producing abnormal cells.

Please feel free to add me.