Protein Shakes for Newbies...

2»

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    1. Do you use them as a meal replacement or a snack? Its my breakfast

2. If used as a meal replacement, how long does 1 shake typically keep you feeling full? About 3-4 hours. I drink it about 8ish (usually the last thing I do before I leave the house) then eat about 11:30 to 12pm

3. Do you think consuming a protein shakes help you lose weight? I think it helps me get protein while staying in my calorie range which keeps me full longer (than just carbs or sugar) which keeps me from snacking. So... yes.

4. How do you prepare them? In my Ninja food processor, I put 6ish ice cubes, 14oz water and add 2 scoops of powder. I whip the hell out of it and drink the foam until it goes down.

5. Which do you use? Dymatize Iso 100 Hydrolyzed 100% Whey Protein (gourmet chocolate). Each scoop has 24g protein, 1 carb, 0g fat and 106 calories.

6. Would you recommend a certain way to start consuming a protein shake for a newbie? To be honest, I had ZERO interest in a protein shake. I thought since I wasnt working out, I didnt need it and I certainly didnt want to spend the $$$ on it. Then for my birthday, my coworker bought me a bottle (and a little shaker cup). I actually like it but more importantly, it keeps me full.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    The others have said most of what I'd say as well: I use them to up my protein, and drink them after every workout. If I'm low on protein one day but have limited fat & calories left to spend, I'll have one to help get that protein in. My favorite so far is the Optimum Nutrition (whey) Double Chocolate. I agree with you that the Jay Robb vanilla is horrid. :p
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    1. I use them mostly in between meals or with something light for breakfast, usually pre- or post-workout.
    2. Keeps me full for a couple hours
    3. It doesn't help you lose weight. It helps you reach your protein goal.
    4. I use powder with skim milk or almond milk, sometimes throw in some fruit or yogurt. I also like to make recipes (muffins, protein bars, etc) with them as well.
    5. Designer Whey vanilla or double chocolate powder. If I'm out I buy Pure Protein cans when I'm on the go.
    6. Consume them as you like, like I said I personally prefer for breakfast, pre- or post-workout.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    1. Do you use them as a meal replacement or a snack?
    I don't differentiate between meals and snacks, I eat when I'm hungry. I generally make them to be 150-300 calories
    2. If used as a meal replacement, how long does 1 shake typically keep you feeling full?
    When I was doing intermittent fasting, I could make a sub-300 calorie shake at night that kept me full until my feeding window 14 hours later.
    3. Do you think consuming a protein shakes help you lose weight?
    As previously mentioned, they are a decently low cost, easy way to get in protein. And I actually find them to be quite filling, although I understand why some people prefer to eat their calories.
    4. How do you prepare them?
    http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/ has a lot of shake recipes.
    I like peppermint extract, so I use that a lot.
    I also use protein powder in non-shake things like protein pancakes and homemade protein bars.
    5. Which do you use?
    I use optimum nutrition chocolate supreme, whey and casein. I also use Click, which is chocolate whey protein mixed with instant coffee, as my morning coffee. It's amazing!
    6. Would you recommend a certain way to start consuming a protein shake for a newbie?
    Whatever you like. No right or wrong answers.
  • After all those posts, not sure anyone will read mine but here goes. I would recommend a breakfast shake, snack, lunch, shake, dinner, but that is what works for me.

I use designer whey weight control - it has stevia instead of the other sweeteners - sucrolose and aspartame cause gas and other issues. The weight control one is comparitve to the BODY BY VISALUS protein powder but you can get it much much MUCH cheaper.

I drink one for breakfast as I am not much of a breakfast person. It keeps me satisfied until about 3 hours later, which is my morning snack time. this gets me to lunch

I do NOT subsitute my lunch or dinner with them. - I would rather EAT.

Occasionally I will blend one up and freeze it and then as it thaws, it is a yummy alternative to icecream for an afternoon snack. Otherwise I drink one about 45 minutes before my afternoon workout, which ends up being about 3 hours before dinnertime.

As far as feeling full or satisfied, ADD to your shake powder. It is more satisfying and it will help hold you over.
    My favorite: chocolate protein powder, 1 cup almond milk, 1 TBS crunchy peanut butter, 1 tsp sugar free chocolate pudding, and 4 cubes ice blended together. tastes like a reeses pb cup. Play around with fruits, jellos, puddings, etc. Check pinterest for body by vi recipes and copy them. Good luck!
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Bump
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    There's one protein shake I make sometimes for breakfast (meal replacement) that I found on some website awhile back. It was called a Birthday Cake Protein Shake and I love it.... it has more of an ice cream consistency so it kinda satisfies that craving for me.
    Basically it's 14.5oz (1/2 cup) of fat free cottage cheese, 1 scoop of vanilla designer whey protein, 1 tbs of a vanilla/cheesecake/white chocolate flavored Jello sugar free/fat free instant pudding mix, 1/3 cup skim milk, 3 drops of almond extract, 10+ ice cubes and blended until smooth. Even if you're not into cottage cheese, try it anyways. It blends smooth and has zero cottage cheese flavor.
    The nutritional info is 212 calories, 18g carbs, 1g fat, and 33g protein. It usually keeps me full till about lunch time.

Birthday Cake flavor with 33 grams of protein...I must have this, thank you!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Protein supplement to get to my goals as its easier to hit my protein macros eating 1.3 g of protein on work out days. Would consider them a snack :) so it easier and more realistic to hit my protein macros than just eating. I eat 300grams in one day and in order to hit that with food alone would mean I would have to eat all the time and financially speaking along with work its just not realistic to try to hit that mark with food only so yes I use shakes all the time.

2. If used as a meal replacement, how long does 1 shake typically keep you feeling full?
    About 1-1 1/2 hours

No not protein by itself only a calorie deficit helps you lose weight.

Straight up and simple for me about 1 and 1/2 cups water 2 or 2 1/2 scoops and gulp.

5. Which do you use?
    Any Whey Protein

6. Would you recommend a certain way to start consuming a protein shake for a newbie?
    Over all 1gram per body weight lean weight or overall weight really makes no difference if it fits into your overall daily calories. Take them either before or after your work out. Also find out how much protein you get from food and you can use the shake to help get to your protein goal. So some days you might take 1,2, or 3 shakes depending on your needs. Lastly for newbies only drink 1 scoop at a time. It can take your body time to learn how to digest a mass amount of straight protein and too much at once has been known to give people diarrhea. Eventually work your way drinking more as you can or as you need.
  • Thank you everyone us newbies appreciate it.
  • Hi everyone, here's my personnal opinion on protein shakes in general, i've been training/weight lifting for a couple years now and i've seen different products with different results.

here you go:

Both, it all depends what kind of protein you are using and what kind of ingredient you put in your shake.

My meal replacement is:

1 medium banana, 2 scoop of Myofusion Chocolate protein, 1 cup low fat milk and 1/2 up of un cooked Oatmeal and 1 Tbs of Peanut Butter. add water or ice for desired consistency. ( I'm on a muscle buidling diet since I just had a surgery on my left should unrelated to working out/training)

- Simple shake for added protein in your diet is: 2 scoop of Protein and 500ml of water.

- Most likely 2 -3 hours, all depends what you added in your shake.

-Protein are harder than other nutrients to break down so your system needs to work harder speeding up your metabolism.

- Either with water or Almond milk and ice. all depends if you need a quick shake to add protein to your diet or an actual meal replacement.

5. Which do you use?

- I like to use low fat protein, the leaner the better. use Casein protein at night, it is absorbed slowly and over a longer period of time and keeps fulling your body during sleep. ( ex: Casein powder, Cottage cheese, et.)

- If prices doesn't matter then go for the taste, nothing is worst than buying a whole tub of protein that doesnt taste good, it'll probably sit there for months and you'll most likely skip the shakes intirely.

-Mix it with milk and fruits for vanilla and try adding bananas or peanut butter to chocolate flavored. If it taste good you'll look forward to your shake and wont skip meals.

Hopefully this helps, sorry for any typos, I'm French Canadian. If you have any question on recipes or anything in general feel free to ask were all here to help out.

Thanks

Tony.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    I like to use protein shakes because I am very busy throughout the day and its something i can make quickly and go...
    I've tried:
    SHAKEOLOGY
    Jay Robb
    Lean 25 (gnc)
    Myofusion

My very FAVORITE is shakeology, but its sooo expensive. So i mix it with the ones listed above. I've just been trying to find one that is decent that I WILL LIKE. If it tastes like crap, it will end up sitting on the counter doing no good.

I think I will continue with the lean 25 once my shakeology runs out, but the Jay Robb has NO FAT, and no carbs
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    There's one protein shake I make sometimes for breakfast (meal replacement) that I found on some website awhile back. It was called a Birthday Cake Protein Shake and I love it.... it has more of an ice cream consistency so it kinda satisfies that craving for me.
    Basically it's 14.5oz (1/2 cup) of fat free cottage cheese, 1 scoop of vanilla designer whey protein, 1 tbs of a vanilla/cheesecake/white chocolate flavored Jello sugar free/fat free instant pudding mix, 1/3 cup skim milk, 3 drops of almond extract, 10+ ice cubes and blended until smooth. Even if you're not into cottage cheese, try it anyways. It blends smooth and has zero cottage cheese flavor.
    The nutritional info is 212 calories, 18g carbs, 1g fat, and 33g protein. It usually keeps me full till about lunch time.

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I tried it tonight and it is delicious! I didn't have any protein powder on hand so I bought a four pack of Vanilla Muscle Milk and used a carton of that in place of the skim milk & powder. That added a little more fat/calories but not too bad (Cal: 285, Fat 7, Carb. 20, Protein 34). It makes 3 cups. I split it with my daughter and sadly she didn't care for it. But I thought it tasted very good. Thanks for sharing :).