Exercise morning or night?

Options
Just wondering if you exercise morning or night and why? Does anyone think exercising in the morning boosts your metabolism??

Replies

• ahart78
    Options
    I exercise at night. The only reason is that I find it impossible to get up any earlier than I already do for work. This girl IS NOT a morning person. LOL
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day.

I currently workout in the morning and then 2 days a week I also work out in the evening. I prefer morning as less chance of something coming up. If you have to stay late at work, unexpected dinner or drinks with a friend after work, etc. and so forth. If I get up and do it in the morning, it's done.
  • lucy_878
    lucy_878 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I workout according to my schedule. I work full time. Attend grad school and intern.....so I have to constantly adjust.
  • jt221990
    jt221990 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Both! Because otherwise I totally can't sleep.

Except for weekends, I do mid day for much longer.
  • cmramsey
    cmramsey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I exercise around 4:00 or 4:30 every morning - 30 minutes get me a mile or more on the treadmill - just depends how fast I go. I am a morning person and know if I wait too many things can deter me from ever doing that excercise later in the day. I have more energy throughout the day as well.

Good luck.
  • claporte69
    Options
    I prefer to exercise in the morning just to get it over with since evenings are so busy....however I'm up at 5am for work and cannot get up any earlier. Morning workouts are a weekend thing. I do evenings and try to go as soon as I get home from work so I don't get lazy. I don't think it boosts your metabolism. Working out to close to bedtime can cause sleep issues though. It's really a personal preference IMO.
  • Melissa82434
    Melissa82434 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As of right now (recently) I exercise around 10 or 11 am. Earlier if I can, but I have found I have TONS of energy throughout the day. I dont exercise past 7 pm.......or I cant sleep. I have been told exercise is best in the am because of metabolism reasons. Not sure how much truth is in it........I just might google it :)
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do it in the mornings because I cannot be bothered to work out after a full day's of work and then studying at home and then cooking dinner. Just easier to get it out of the way.
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    Options
    Right now I'm going for a run at night.

During school, it depends on my schedule. When I didn't have many classes, I would go to the gym in the morning for some weight training, and then a run at night.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Right now late morning because that's when I can fit it into the little one's schedule. As soon as I start work again I'll change back to nights. (I hate nights tho b/c I'm already ultra tired so it takes mountains of self discipline.)
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is the time that you will actually get out there and get it done!
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would rather workout in the morning, but now that work started (teacher) I have to workout after I get home. Which sucks I'm always tired.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    Both at the moment, while I have the drive. I drop my daughter off at her school bus stop then go for a 30-40 min walk, have managed to come home and do a small amount of weights also. At 11.30pm I go for another 30 minute walk. I need to be pretty drastic in my measures as I have been pretty drastic in my body abuse. Am hoping to add jogging in soon with the c25k programme, maybe at night.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Working out in the mornings before work is just not meant to be. I've tried. Twice. LOL. Looks like I'm going to be an evening work-outer. I used to go in the afternoon but I can't do that anymore since starting a full-time job. I'll have to go after I put my son to bed at night around 8:30-9pm.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I prefer night because it gets rid of the stress from my day at work. However, I'm shifting schedules to even later now, 2pm-11pm at work. So I'll likely have to go earlier. I don't like earlier, because my body aches so much more earlier in the day.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I exercise at night. The only reason is that I find it impossible to get up any earlier than I already do for work. This girl IS NOT a morning person. LOL

I second this. I am a morning person, but it's still hard to get up THAT early. I already have to get up at 5:30am to get my but to school on time and I'm there often until 5pm at night or later. If I got up the minimum 1.5 hours before I needed (go to gym, work out, get cleaned up) I'd be hauling my but out of bed at 4am. Forget that.

Besides, I'm a stress monger and working out before bed makes me sleepy. It's probably the only reason I'm not an insomniac.
  • tragicallyjuliet
    Options
    I hate morning workouts but i do agree that sometimes things come up if i don't do it in the morning. if i miss it i try to get it in after work. the important thing is that you do it when you cant. i don't think that time of the day matters as long as you can sleep if you do it at night.

10053121.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I exercise after work because I can't drag my butt out of bed in the mornings.