6 Month User, 1st time poster (Need help to push through)

Options
Im Johnathan and ive been using MFP for about 6 months. I started because I was nearing 300 lbs and needed to make some changes and have some accountability. I was 166 when i came out of high school and since then its been in decline.

MFP made me recognize and realize what im eating and the amounts. Its nice to provide a guideline to where i should be. I was walking 3-4 times a week and occassionally more for 3-6 miles each day. Recently I started trying to work some running in but im not good at it. I did my first 5k 2 weekends ago and that was awesome, and last week started the couch to 5k program to work on endurance and running. Now to my problems

Ive lost 40 lbs but i have pretty much been at a plateau for almost 2 months. I stay between 248-252 but i cant get below the 248 and keep losing. Considering that im doing the running/walking and doing P-90's sculpt with weights in between days and im only eating my almost 1600 calories im allowed i am baffled. I dont know what to do.

-Should i be eating more calories as some people have suggested to me?
-Do i need even more changes to my diet?
-Am i doomed to be stuck forever?

Im very positive about the changes im making, but i could use some help to break through this and to advise me.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Replies

• sylwheat
    Options
    You need more calories and more protein. I have had the same problem with see sawing between 2-5 lbs. I up'd my calories, eating more protein and already see a change. Try that and see if it helps. Feel free to add me as friend and we can do this together ! :flowerforyou:
  • did you review my diary? and thats what it shows? i sometimes have a hard time even eating 1200 unless i go out to eat and im not eating healthy calories. im very confused currently
  • ryan3140
    Options
    seriously this is were tuna fish, chcken, and protein shakes will become your best friend. when ever i need the extra protein thats what i turn too!
  • Lindylaloo
    Lindylaloo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been here a while too and just started getting serious! I've heard somewhere that you always need protein when you eat. If you have a banana for breakfast, get some protein with it. If you have a salad, make sure you have some chicken or tuna. If you have a beer, make sure you eat some protein or almonds. If you are just consuming carbohydrates, it just sticks. I've tried to keep that principal with every meal I eat. If I have a piece of toast for snack in the afternoon, I'll put a tablespoon of peanut butter on it. Good luck!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the above link. If you're working out that much, you need more calories for sure!
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hear you.. I could use that magic 8 ball myself. Inches dropping.. pounds are not.. super frustrated. And, after exercise I can't hardly get my daily calories either. Partners in frustration! I'm going to be intently watching your responses :)
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. Are you having trouble stinking to the calories you are eating? I am a woman, older, smaller then you and I am eating just as much and most times more.

Friend me if you want and look at my diary.

Keep in mind it's a marathon not a sprint. Take a year, do it right and get healthy in a way so that you don't need to be back here. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • PJDolan
    Options
    FIrst, congratulations on your weight loss. 40 lbs in 6 months is great.

My recommendation would be to increase your calories to just 500 below maintenance, eat more fruits and vegetables, and do more weight training and less running.

Finally, I'd say be patient. 40 lbs in 6 months is already a great accomplishment.
  • OoSnowiteoO
    Options
    yayyyy! 40 pounds is awesome!!!!! i agree with the more calorie intake, along with protien. im no expert but it sounds logical:) i mostly wanted to say s congrats and keep it up!!!!!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    A major congratulations for the forty pounds you have lost already! You are making strides in the right direction.

I read a few days worth of your menu entries. It does look as though you would benefit from some more calories.

It helps me to stay on track if I pack a feedbag each day and take it with me to work. I usually have breakfast at home and the rest of my snacks, lunch, waters and sometimes dinner packed in there.

Keep us posted your success and come back for more questions.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    sodium seems high and I see no water intake.....my advice to you is watch your sodium and drink loads of water.
  • Kat082
    Options
    Hey! Im Kat. I wanted to first, congratulate you on the 40 lbs you have lost!! You Rock! And i also want to congratulate you on your first 5K! Running is my thing too. You can add me as your friend. It sounds like you do need to eat a few more calories. It sounds like your workout is good. P90 and running is a good combo. Talk to you soon
  • Paw4awhile
    Options
    Hi Jonathan

Do you cook?
    Do you eat out or eat takeaways?
    Do you eat microwave meals?
    Do you drink any water?

From looking at your Diary it looks like you are eating to much fat & salt.

if you can cook I may be able to give some ideas.

I am willing to try & help you if you would like me to.

Anne
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    We all try and have opinions, but what I've found is that what I need changes. Once things stall, review what you've been doing and tweak it. Little changes add up, more protein today, less sugar tomorrow, etc. Best of luck feel free to add if you'd like.
  • thanks everyone for the responses. i know that what ive lost may seem like alot but the fact that it all happened in 4-5 months then stalled is what worries me. longest plateau ive ever seen

I actually did find and read the roadmap a little bit ago and have been in the process of doing the calculations. seems like i definitely need to eat more

as for running less, right now i do the couch to 5k which is about 30-35 minutes 3 times a week and i do about 35 minutes of weights on days in between.

Im about a little under half way to my goal and i want to do it right! ANYONE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME IF YOUD LIKE
  • sodium seems high and I see no water intake.....my advice to you is watch your sodium and drink loads of water.

Tue 09/04/12 10:59 PM
    typically my sodium intake is not that high. just was in what i ate the last 2 days. and i also drink tons of water, i just neglect to enter it.

thank you though for the response
  • A major congratulations for the forty pounds you have lost already! You are making strides in the right direction.

I read a few days worth of your menu entries. It does look as though you would benefit from some more calories.

It helps me to stay on track if I pack a feedbag each day and take it with me to work. I usually have breakfast at home and the rest of my snacks, lunch, waters and sometimes dinner packed in there.

Keep us posted your success and come back for more questions.

great idea. i guess im just not hungry that often anymore. I think thats the Bee Pollen im taking maybe
  • Hey! Im Kat. I wanted to first, congratulate you on the 40 lbs you have lost!! You Rock! And i also want to congratulate you on your first 5K! Running is my thing too. You can add me as your friend. It sounds like you do need to eat a few more calories. It sounds like your workout is good. P90 and running is a good combo. Talk to you soon

thanks for the compliments. it definitely helps someone to push through. My first 5k was actually COLOR ME RAD. dont know if you heard of it before but its more or less a fun run/color run. It was untimed and with over 8000 people i couldnt move that fast of a pace anyways. However it was all hills which im not used to and i finished was a huge accomplishment for me.

Im currently working towards being able to run an entire 5k, hell more than 2 minutes at a time would be a good start with the weight, shin splints, bad breathing :(. this couch to 5k is helping already .

ill definitely add you
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your food diary so I'm not going to respond on that, but what I've noticed is that I have to constantly change how I'm working out and when I find that I'm slowing down and reaching a plateau I kick it up a notch. I'm not a runner so I do mainly weight lifting with aerobics classes in between. On those weeks when I want to kick it up, I will add another day of aerobics or I'll adjust my weight lifting routine.

I also had a trainer tell me to up my protein intake when I was reaching a plateau so I've added a second protein shake to my day each day. Perhaps you can increase your protein intake that way without increasing your food consumption too much since you're not really hungry...and yes, protein is necessary whenever you eat.

That being said, you are going to get a lot of varying thoughts and opinions so you might have to try out different things to see what works best for you.

Great job on the 40 lbs! Here's hoping you can find something to kick start the movement again.