Ok overnight oats lovers....

Options
I made my first batch earlier today and I can't wait to try them tomorrow! I can already tell its going to be one of my new favorite things! I did a very basic recipe with just oats, almond milk, cinnamon & raisins. I'll get fancier with them as time goes on I'm sure! So do most of you prefer them hot or cold?

Replies

• cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat them cold, and I have tried a few recipes. My favorites are oats, almond milk, chia seeds, chobani peach yogurt and extra peaches.
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    Definitely cold!

My fave is apple cinnamon! mmmmmmm
  • fuelingit
    Options
    i like my oats both ways. however there's ONE overnight oats recipe i tried that had cottage cheese in it... the cottage cheese produced this stringy-like texture when i was eating it. it completely grossed me out so i haven't had oats cold in awhile!

for combos/toppings i would try banana and natural peanut butter. blueberries or cherries, etc. also, i've heard that greek yogurt in overnight oats is great! i can find you a recipe if you'd like!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I do cold and now I use oat bran. It has a better nutritional profile.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I made my first batch on Sunday night! Steel cut oats, vanilla protein powder, two apples, a small box of raisins, cinnamon and 2% milk. I've eaten it both cold and warmed and I prefer it warmed up (but I also like warm milk with my cereal). Can't wait to make a new batch with a few different ingredients this Sunday coming up.

Calling all recipes!

I lied*** this was my recipe for crock pot oatmeal! I did try the overnight oats once though and it was good!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I made my first batch on Sunday night! Steel cut oats, vanilla protein powder, two apples, a small box of raisins, cinnamon and 2% milk. I've eaten it both cold and warmed and I prefer it warmed up (but I also like warm milk with my cereal). Can't wait to make a new batch with a few different ingredients this Sunday coming up.

Calling all recipes!

what kind of protein powder do you use? how well did you mix it?
    i'd be worried that it wouldn't mix and the consistency would get funny... i use healthy n fit egg protein powder
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Calling all recipes!

what kind of protein powder do you use? how well did you mix it?
    i'd be worried that it wouldn't mix and the consistency would get funny... i use healthy n fit egg protein powder

Everything I posted above was for the batch of crock pot oats I made! Sorry, I made the overnight oats once and just did regular oatmeal with milk, cinnamon and a banana.
  • kelleyish
    kelleyish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've tried several flavors of cold oats lately. I usually do 1/3 cup old fashioned oats (not instant), 1/2 container of light yoplait yogurt, a bit of milk to thin, and then additions. I've done pineapple upside down cake yogurt with extra canned shredded pineapple (tried fresh pineapple once and it was terrible for some reason); I've also done red velvet yogurt with 2 tbsp of PB2 and a couple tablespoons sugar free chocolate pudding mix for a great chocolate-peanut butter flavor...
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm loving all the great ideas I'm getting!!!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My go to recipe:

1/3 cup oats
    1 cup almond milk (I use So Delicious Plus vanilla flavor)
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp ground flax
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    1 tbsp blackstrap molasses

I add 1 cup of frozen fruit, I do a rotation of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries, and mango chunks. Raspberries are my favorite! I've added bananas, apples, raisins, cinnamon, etc. before, but prefer the berries/mango.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    i like my oats both ways. however there's ONE overnight oats recipe i tried that had cottage cheese in it... the cottage cheese produced this stringy-like texture when i was eating it. it completely grossed me out so i haven't had oats cold in awhile!

for combos/toppings i would try banana and natural peanut butter. blueberries or cherries, etc. also, i've heard that greek yogurt in overnight oats is great! i can find you a recipe if you'd like!

Thanks for the great ideas for add ons! I'm always up for new recipes :wink:
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I add pb2 in with them and jus ta tad of butter it is soo good!!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My fave:

1/3 c. oats
    1 banana mashed up really well
    3/4 c. soy milk
    1 tbs flax seed

Mix and leave in the fridge overnight.

In the morning top with 1 tbs peanut butter and 1 tbs raspberry jam. Yum!
  • mariieexo
    Options
    I eat them cold, soo good!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued, can someone explain to me how this works? Is it cooked oatmeal left out all night?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued, can someone explain to me how this works? Is it cooked oatmeal left out all night?

Not cooked, just put it all together and let sit in fridge overnight.

Here is a good site, they are ALLLLL good!

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/browse/Oatmeal
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

How does it cook though? I can see how this would work fine for quick oats, but what about steel cut? Is there some sort of particular health benefit of doing it this way verses the traditional way? Just curious :)
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Summer time cold winter instead in the crock pot and hot
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

How does it cook though? I can see how this would work fine for quick oats, but what about steel cut? Is there some sort of particular health benefit of doing it this way verses the traditional way? Just curious :)
    I use steel cut and it's just fine in the fridge
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mine is:
    1/4 c. Oatmeal
    2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
    1/3 c. Nonfat milk
    1/4 c. Greek Gods plain nonfat yogurt

Mix well in a small jar.

Stir in 1/3 cup frozen organic raspberries

Put in fridge overnight.