Butter debacle

Options
I love butter, I know many people do. I have given up many things in my lifestyle change but this is one I am having a huge problem with!! I have bought a yogurt spread thinking I was doing this great thing with the nutrition labeling reading fractions of what butter held in store (I sadly consume a 1-1.5 tbs serving with my english muffin, another passion)...then started reading ingredient label over breakfast one morning :( So now I'm consuming trans fats after some research. Is it better just to stay with butter and try to keep it to a 1tbs serving then try to find a replacement? Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Thank you in advance for any thoughts you might have on this...

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE butter lover! HUGE! I wouldn't replace my lovely yummy butter with anything. I don't like the fake stuff, and I use butter in such moderation that it doesn't really matter anyway.

I know Trans Fats are pretty terrible for you, so for me, the real deal is what I'd do. I bet you'll get a huge reply of allll kinds of things!

And omg, spray butter! Yuck, just....yuck :(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Real butter. I just log it and include it in my calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why give up butter?? It's healty. Fats are fine, you need some as they are an essential nutrient. Just be moderate.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of butter, but when a recipe needs it, I use ButterySpread_OmegaLight_Hero_v1.png?1331670918

According to my admittedly limited research (my containers actually expire because I use it so infrequently) sources like http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_080206.htm#art1 and no trans fats support it as an alternative.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Why give up butter?? It's healty. Fats are fine, you need some as they are an essential nutrient. Just be moderate.

Butter has saturated fat, which USDA suggests is limited to 10% of your calories. So if you do use real butter, may need to avoid other saturated fat sources.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Butter has saturated fat, which USDA suggests is limited to 10% of your calories. So if you do use real butter, may need to avoid other saturated fat sources.

Unless you are using massive amounts of butter there is no need for concern. The OP is talking about enough to put on an english muffin. Additionally, the USDA recomendations are extremely conservative. I would ue butter before I would use franken foods like transfats or anything with canola oil which is derived from a genetically modified rapeseed plant and is extracted with Hexane, a neurotoxin.
  • Frauandy
    Options
    I say go with BUTTER. When it comes to healthy eating in general, whole foods are best. Many alternatives have so many additives and preservatives that are harmful and your system can’t break them down.

A rule of thumb for me is if there are more than one or two ingredients (I used salted butter) then what am I really ingesting? I have found the more whole foods (less processed) I eat the better I feel which makes be a believer that there is no magic pill, we just all need to get a little closer to our local fresh foods and cook at home with wholesome ingredients...including BUTTER!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Stay with butter.
    really
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The butter is worth it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often, only if I am out and get a teacake or somesuch, but I prefer to keep to butter now, having read negative things about vegetable margarines and the like.
  • sbenson1972
    Options
    Thank you everyone for that insight, I guess butter stays and I just learn to measure and ration maybe :) And thank you mmapags, for the additional info on canola and it's derivation and extraction, I need to read up more on this! Wonder how many more things I am consuming that have come about by unnatural means..