Bread: Whole Wheat vs. Whole Grain Light

Options
2»

Replies

• prudychick
    Options
    I did some searching when I was buying my last loaf of bread. I've always just gone with the cheapest 100% whole wheat. I found this: Orowheat - Whole Grain - 100% Whole Wheat Bread. It's 90 calories per slice. Everything else I looked at was 100+ calories for 100% whole wheat. It's a bit more expensive but I'm saving at least 10 calories which is better for my waistline. :)
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    well there's only one ingredient on the flour, 100% premium whole wheat flour from hard red spring wheat

In the description it says chemical free, gmo free(what ever that means), nothing added, nothing removed, all natural, it is bronze chief brand, it was actually the cheapest flour I could find in the store (walmart)
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I believe that is the brand I bought! Sounds good to me!

MFP, any idea on this?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I eat Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Wheat No Sugar Added bread. It is fantastic and beats ALL the other breads, hands down.

http://www.naturesownbread.com/NAT_Varieties/Variety.cfm?CategoryID=100&ProductID=17

No Preservatives or flavors or colors
    No HFCS
    Zero sugar per slice
    50 calories per slice
    1 g fat per slice
    11 carbs per slice

(To whomever suggested Pepperidge Farms, check the ingredients. I used to eat their products but nearly all have HFCS, so no more for me).

(To whomever mentioned GMO - it stands for Genetically Modified Organism. There are serious reservations about the safety of such things - http://www.relfe.com/GMOs.html)
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I eat Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Wheat No Sugar Added bread. It is fantastic and beats ALL the other breads, hands down.

http://www.naturesownbread.com/NAT_Varieties/Variety.cfm?CategoryID=100&ProductID=17

No Preservatives or flavors or colors
    No HFCS
    Zero sugar per slice
    50 calories per slice
    1 g fat per slice
    11 carbs per slice

(To whomever suggested Pepperidge Farms, check the ingredients. I used to eat their products but nearly all have HFCS, so no more for me).

(To whomever mentioned GMO - it stands for Genetically Modified Organism. There are serious reservations about the safety of such things - http://www.relfe.com/GMOs.html)

WOW! Another great product!!! Thanks for sharing! I now have multiple brands to look out for depending on the store I'm in!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Arnold has some tasty breads that are whole grain and without HFCS, but check the labels because not all of them do. If you have a Trader Joe's they have a whole grain white bread that people who are used to the soft white breads whould probably like.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Arnold has some tasty breads that are whole grain and without HFCS, but check the labels because not all of them do. If you have a Trader Joe's they have a whole grain white bread that people who are used to the soft white breads whould probably like.

I'm on a loaf of Arnold 12 grain (does contain whole grains) right now and it doesn't contain HFCS. It's pretty tasty stuff, 110 calories per slice, but the slices weigh as much or more than 2 slices of "light" bread. It was on sale for $1.99/loaf so it came home with me. :wink: One slice makes a decent sized sandwich (cut it in half or fold it over).

I also enjoy Earth Grains Wheat Berry. Another one without HFCS, is widely available in my area at regular grocery stores, and is pretty reasonably priced. I just can't pay $5.00 for a loaf of bread.
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Arnold is actually the one I was eating until I found the less calorie alternative...but before you all reminded me of the ingredient list! Til this point, I was concerned with the calories...never thought about the fact that they weigh more than regular white bread slices!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Arnold is actually the one I was eating until I found the less calorie alternative...but before you all reminded me of the ingredient list! Til this point, I was concerned with the calories...never thought about the fact that they weigh more than regular white bread slices!

Yeah, I've been very calorie focused before, several years ago, to lose weight (instead of getting healthy) & then blew it (now I realize I wasn't going about it correctly!). I'm of the school of thought that the *quality* of the calories is very important. Meaning, I can eat 80 calories of worthless overly processed light bread, or I can eat 110 or 120 calories of bread containing lots of protein,fiber, and whole grains packed with nutrients. I can eat a "100 calorie pack" of thin crispy wafers for 100 calories or I can eat an apple and a tbs of peanut butter for 150. And so on. One is worthless, the other is nutritious. At the end of the day, you're going to be a lot more satisfied by the nutritious foods.
    I've been a lot happier (and healthier) as well as a lot more successful this go 'round.

But not all Arnold breads are going to be good. Just read your labels. :wink:
  • AmyDarina
    Options
    GMO is genetically modified organisms. I try to stay away from anything that has been gmo'd. It's one of the reasons organic is healthier for you, it hasn't had it's genes messed with!

Most potatoes have been modified to keep the bugs out and corn has been modified from day one!

If you think about it most people are buying foods that have had there genes messed with. Cows being feed steroids to make more meat or milk is modified. It's kinds gross thinking of all the foods that I've eaten in the past and what type of chemicals and modifications have gone into my body. It's no wonder people are living to older ages we've all be preserved by the food we eat!!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I am diabetic and as a lover of bread, it seemed like the hardest part of my diet! I eat light wheat now, about 80 calories per 2 slices with 5 grams of fiber for each serving. My blood sugar is no longer totally out of control when I have it, it is a good source of fiber in my diet, and it's not those sad little mini loaves of bread- it's just like what I was used to, only healthier. So I am a fan of the light wheat!
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 English muffins and wraps are amazing too. Better than the bread that they are famous for!!!! NO wheat, all live sprouted grains which digest easily.
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    arnold bakery light 100% whole wheat

40cal slice
    2.5g fiber per slice
    2.5g of protein per slice
    8.5g carb per slice
    no hfcs
    100%whole wheat flour
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like Orowheat Double Fiber Bread which is made with whole grain and added Fiber. And it tastes great..
    one slice = 70 calories
    Calories from fat 10
    Total Carbs 16g
    Dietary Fiber 6g (24% of Daily Value)
    Proteins 3g
    Cholesterol = 0
    Sodium = 160mg
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check out Fabulous Flats Whole Grain Naan tandooori bread.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I just learned (from checking) that the bread I bought to replace the Arnold bread is great! its called Healthy Life, available at Jewel and its 70 calories for 2!!!! slices. Someone posted that the difference is in the weight of each slice and that is soooo accurate. These slices are so small, BUT, its great because the calories I lose from eating smaller bread, I can add in other ingredients that make me THINK I ate alot! No matter the size of the bread, for me, 1 sandwich has never been enough. This way, I can eat 2 small cheese sandwiches (my fav) or 1 cheese sandwich with my beloved meat, veggie filled and really feel satisfied!

Sometimes, I can be full, but if my mind thinks I should have eaten more (based on the amount I'm soooo used to eating), so I have a difficult time not going back for seconds.

This bread will definitely help!

Also, no HFCS and no enriched anything. First ingredient is 100% whole wheat flour. I am thrilled!