Anyone into yoga?

Options
I used to take a PiYo class at the Y years ago and LOVED it.

After going through a basic yoga class through our community center (slow paced, focused on form), I have been taking power yoga classes. They're super hard and I know yoga probably does burn as many calories as walking or running, but it's the first time in my life that I can see some definition coming in my arms and shoulders.

So, yeah, I love it.

Any other yoga people?

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yep. Love it. Also into the Power form. I got away from it for awhile, but getting back to it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I do,yoga and Pilates. I have a mild heart condition that limits my cardio, so yoga and Pilates are my main workouts, and weight lifting when I get moved into the new house.
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoga teacher. :)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm currently going from the beginners-yoga to a more intermediate level. I barely started a few months ago, but I really like it. In fact, I just bought my first yoga mat the other day :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I recently started - first a "complete newbie" class and now I am a regular at a beginner's adaptive. I think I'll try some of the other classes they offer when I have free time.

I think it's great. There was a bit of an internal struggle getting myself to show up the first time, but everyone was really cool and no one called the police.
  • mermegan
    Options
    I do hot yoga at CorePower—level 2 and sculpt. I've noticed a huge difference in core and arm strength. Love, love, love it!
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    I got into yoga for about 2 months at this great, small studio, but they went out of business :frown:

Now, I'm unable to afford to pay for any classes, but I would like to purchase some DVDs (even though I know the best way is to go to an actual class)

Anyone have any suggestions?
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! For the last year, I've been going to a local yoga studio. After years of taking some yoga classes here and there (gym, community center), I decided to go to a studio that focuses on yoga. I definitely felt the difference in instruction and challenge. It can be a great workout, but is a great part of a broad exercise program.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Love love love yoga. Got into it in high school when there was an option to take a yoga class for gym. Then I went a couple times a week at university. Now I'm back to doing it alone :(

I really wish I could find more videos on the relaxing 'regular' yoga as that's my favorite. Power yoga styles can be fun but usually when I'm looking to do yoga, it's for the slow, calming effects rather than the pilates, supercharged yoga.

If anyone has any suggestions for some good, relaxing yoga DVDs, or videos online please share :flowerforyou:
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Go twice a week...VInyasa flow yoga...changed my body...have been doing it for a year and a half...about intermediate level...cant do a headstand because of neck problems but other than that I love it :)
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Grrrr:sad: I was into yoga and really enjoying it but my physician recently said I have hypermobility syndrome and should not do yoga. I am supposed to focus on muscle strength instead because the yoga can make my condition worse.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga group open to anyone:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

One of the topics is yoga videos. My suggestion is go to your library and check a few out - find one you like. Also, check for free podcasts - yoga journal has one - or youtube videos (though you really don't know what you are getting here). Once you find a style you like, you can go to ihanuman for more classes.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Grrrr:sad: I was into yoga and really enjoying it but my physician recently said I have hypermobility syndrome and should not do yoga. I am supposed to focus on muscle strength instead because the yoga can make my condition worse.

I think if you went to the right class, the teacher would modify the poses for you - so you don't take your knees or elbows beyond normal range of motion. You might have to go to a slow paced class.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    There's a yoga group open to anyone:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

One of the topics is yoga videos. My suggestion is go to your library and check a few out - find one you like. Also, check for free podcasts - yoga journal has one - or youtube videos (though you really don't know what you are getting here). Once you find a style you like, you can go to ihanuman for more classes.

Thank you!!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yes I love yoga!! I do vinyasa yoga to open up my hips after a run, and also when I'm in a funk. When I don't feel like doing my normal workout I do Denise Austin's Yoga Body Burn and I feel so much better afterward, and usually want to do my normal workout afterwards since I'm warmed up and stretched out and out of my funk!

I tried bikram yoga once and spent half the class laying on my mat trying to stop the stars from appearing, and I have a history of fainting sooo it's not for me.

I've taken regular yoga classes at my gym before. They are ok but I typically don't want to do yoga for an hour. 20-30 minutes is perfect for me.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just started yoga this year. You're right, it may not be as calorie burning as some other activities, but sometimes it is - depending on the class. I like it a lot. I usually run, so I thought it would be good to do stretches and do core strength. I think it is a great mental break as well.
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I bought a Yoga video for at home, and tried it a few times.. I am so far from flexible into some of it that I put it aside for now! I did enjoy what I could, so once I get into a bit more shape, I want to start it up again!! :)
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I do hot yoga at CorePower—level 2 and sculpt. I've noticed a huge difference in core and arm strength. Love, love, love it!

I also go to CorePower, usually level 2, but have successfully completed three sculpt classes. When I'm practicing regularly, I really notice the change in my body. I think it improves my mental and emotional focus, as well.

Sometimes I wish they would offer 30 minute classes, and when I've tried yoga at home (say, for a 30 minute session) I fail pretty miserably because I just can't focus.

There are so many different styles. I think it's all about finding which one is best for you.