1200 meal plans! (college girl on a budget)

Options
Hello lovely people! so I was just curious about new meal plans for 1200 cal days! and as a college student im trying to save money so i need healthy recipes that arent too much money! i have been getting bored with the same stuff and need new ideas! i try to keep my meals around 300 cals and snack 150. any ideas?!

Replies

• southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I keep those little aluminum packs of albacore & tuna in my desk at work with a container of celery salt for a little added flavor. 70 calories and some extra protein makes for a filling little snack. At under $2 a pack, they're handy to have around. I also keep a bag of raw almonds handy. Eating only 12 in a serving makes a bag last quite a long time. They're usually my two staples for quick and inexpensive snacks. A bag of almonds might cost you upfront, but they probably aren't so bad if you figure it down per serving.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat asparagus like 2x a week, and stir frys are super cheap, easy and low on calories.
  • wham55
    Options
    French cut Green beans with a little salt and pepper only like 25 calories for a cup!!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have an access to a fridge, you can buy a pork lion roast on sale (2.5 pounds for $7). If you keep to the serving size (4oz) that will go a long way and it's less than 150-200 cals. It can be cooked on a geroge forman type grill or even microwaved (if careful). If you have a stove top, you can pan fry it in a non-stick pan w/ no cal spray or plain.

Plus, i found out my new favorite veggie - fried brussel sprouts - is only 117 cals per serving. Very simple 1 container makes (2) serving. Cut off stems, remove outer leaves, cut in half and pan fry w/ coconut oil till soft (roughly 20 min). Very taste and low cal.
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    There are so many ways to make healthy salads, soups and sandwiches.
    I usually check out the healthy section on Food network. com. The only problem is produce prices.
    HEB saves the day here in Texas for me when it comes to sales. I say just know what you want before you go buy anything.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    Options
    My dinner tonight was a grilled pork chop (george foreman is my best friend) and frozen broccoli with mushrooms with garlic butter sauce. 250 calories and DELICIOUS! I learned how to make hummus (without tahini sauce) and have it with pretzels or in place of mayo on sandwiches. :) You can do it!
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog for some ideas :)

http://thestonesoup.com/blog/
  • bwhillock
    bwhillock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I start with 1/2 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt and I add red grapes and/or sliced strawberries and top with a handful of Special K cereal! This usually ends up right around or below 300 calories.

For snacks I love Mott's cinnamon applesauce single-serve cups or Nature Valley's Sweet & Salty Almond granola bars - they're delicious. Almonds and pistachios are easy to stash in a ziploc bag and keep in my laptop bag for my long days on campus.

One of my favorite dinners is to cook a turkey burger, add a little bit of shredded low fat cheese and dip in lite ranch. Very flavorful and never boring, but the best part is that it tips in at 335 calories =)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    oatmeal for breakfast
    salad + hard boiled egg + banana for lunch
    lean meat + carb side for dinner
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat asparagus like 2x a week, and stir frys are super cheap, easy and low on calories.

i used to do stir frys all the time but i think i have an allergy to msg b/c every time i ate it with my low cal sauce i felt weird... related to symptoms of msg allergy...what type of sauce do you use if any? thanks for the idea!
  • tragicallyjuliet
    Options
    in college i lived on progresso soup. fat free minestrone was my favorite 1 whole can 1.50 100 cal. can't beet that!~