Protein intake and labels

ZoeLifts
ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
This has been on my mind the last couple of days and I thought I would share, maybe others would agree that they have the same experience.

From my own experience, if I do not get in enough protein for the day (and I fall short of my goals daily, but some days more than others) I tend to be much hungrier the next day. This is purely an observation of my own journey. I'm not going to pretend to know the science behind it. I've spent years eating low protein foods and not understanding why my stomach was a bottomless pit. I also now notice, if I am particularly hungry for the day, that it is usually because I didn't come close to my protein intake the day before.

Now my next observation is that a lot of people in general way underestimate their need for protein. One of my biggest pet peeves is to see a label that says "high protein" or "good source of protein" or "protein bar" on a sports bar or cereal box, or some other packaged food or recipe that someone has created, and when I look at the nutrition label it has, maybe 8 or 10 grams of protein. Let me stop you right there....that is not a "high protein" item. Maybe from the perspective of other products the manufacturer might produce it is high, but for your daily intake of protein, eating only 10g here and there is not going to cut it if your goal is to eat enough protein.

Like I said, this is purely observational, but I feel more full when I meet or come close to my daily requirements. I have seen it recommending to aim for 1 g of protein per lb, so since I weight 158-160, that is what I try to aim for. Again, I fail at it plenty, but one of the best ways I have found to try to get more is to aim for a nutrition label (or recipe, etc) that shows protein to match at minimum 10% of the total calorie content. In my limited math brain logic, that is the quickest way for me to do it.

Anyway, I thought I would share my musings on protein intake. Hopefully someone may find it helpful if this is information they are seeking.

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    I'm bumping myself...sad...
  • melcgelinas
    melcgelinas Posts: 8 Member
    For me, I tend to find the exact opposite, my protein is exceeding my allotted amount almost each day. I've read a few articles that actually state that too much protein can cause problems as well. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900 I have been eating a lot of lean meats, I think it is the dairy, though that is putting me over the top. I've lost 5lbs in 5 days, so I am gathering that it isn't an issue so far. Just trying to be more aware of it going forward. If you like yogurt, I'd suggest Greek Yogurt, as it is high in protein, which may help you raise your intake.

Hope that helps a little?! Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like.

=)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Shamrock Farms Rockin Fuel Muscle Builder. 190 calories, 12 carbs, 4.5g fat, 30g protein. I use them to get that extra protein in w/o getting killed by carbs/chol/fats.
  • ZoeLifts
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I honestly did not know to try protein shakes or greek yogurt to help get my protein in!!! /sarcasm.

I was just posting an observation about myself that might help others. But looking back into my own post, I honestly don't see a single question mark.

Here is what I am saying, in a nutshell: Don't read a label that says "high protein" and assume that will meet your protein needs because usually, there might be 10 g and that ain't enough. Yes, Greek yogurt is highER protein than, say, regular yogurt, but I still need more protein than that so I don't just eat Greek yogurt for protein, I would also add a full packet of salmon and a couple of boiled eggs.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I completely agree...I aim for a high protein diet. I notice that when I fall short of my goals I dont lose weight. MFP underestimates protein need, for me at least, so I manually increased it. I try to get at least 60/day...closer to 90-100 when I can. I also have noticed on days that I eat more carbs and less protein, that I am hungrier and tend to snack more.
  • melcgelinas
    melcgelinas Posts: 8 Member
    Wow...
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    I agree with the original poster. Previously, I ate a very low protein diet and found that I was craving candy and sweets. Now I make a point to make sure that I eat a high amount of protein along with good complex carbs and fiber and I find that I am not as hungry and more able to turn down the sweets. I think that many people overlook the benefits of adding protein to their diet...this is regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not.

I have a protein drink that I make in the morning that has about 31 grams of protein in it an I can drink that shake and be content for hours due to the high protein grams in it.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    When you consider that the recommended daily amounts of protein are 46g for women and 56g for men, it doesn't seem unreasonable that "high protein" products only have about 10g of protein in them.
  • ZoeLifts
    When you consider that the recommended daily amounts of protein are 46g for women and 56g for men, it doesn't seem unreasonable that "high protein" products only have about 10g of protein in them.

Who recommends this? I've seen recommendations of 1gram per pound of body weight, so for me, 158g of protein a day. For myself, eating only 46grams of protein would leave me famished. I ate way under on my protein yesterday and I'm really hungry today.
  • I agree my ice cream cravings have totally disappeared once my protein in was increased to approximately 150 grams. I based that level of protein on Lean-Body-Weight and not on my total weight of 195# didn’t see a reason to eat protein for fat mass.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I think the recommendation of "1g per pound" relates to Leand Body Mass, not your actual weight. I use that as a rough guide and aim for around 100g per day.

And if you break that down - 20-30 g per each meal is pretty do-able, but getting an extra 10g in a snack here and there will make the difference between reaching that target and not.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    From the Cleveland Clinic (which according to certain people on this site is not a reputable source, so expect backlash):

Protein is needed in the diet to build and repair damaged muscles. However, eating a high protein diet (more than 2 grams per kilogram of body weight) does not necessarily lead to larger muscles. In fact, if you eat more protein than you need, your body will simply use it as an energy source or store it as fat.

An athlete requires 1.1 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight each day, depending on the type and intensity of the sport he or she is involved in.

For example, a 150-pound athlete (150 divided by 2.2 = 68 kilograms) requires 75-136 grams of protein each day (68 x 1.1 = 75 grams; 68 x 2.0 = 136 grams).

The following is a guideline that can be used to determine how much protein an athlete requires:
    Competitive adult: 1.4-2.0 gm/kg body weight
    Teenage athlete: 1.8-2.0 gm/kg body weight
    Strength athlete: 1.4-1.8 gm/kg body weight
    Endurance athlete: 1.2-1.4 gm/kg body weight
    Maximum usable amount for adults: 2.0 gm/kg body weight

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/sports_health/nutrition/protein.aspx
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member

somewhere in the world a bodybuilder just died from laughter...
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    I know what you mean about protein! I just realized I am not getting nearly enough, especially because I just changed my macros to: 40/30/30. Then I remembered that a couple months ago I bought a ginormous container of whey protein from Target (vanilla flavored -- 25g of protein/scoop; I never use it! So I just enjoyed a quick snack of almond milk/strawberry/banana/whey protein shake.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I have heard many say the same thing as you. Vegetarians seem to have a hard time getting enough satisfying protein.

Me, I must just be a natural meat eater because I have not problem getting enough protein. I always go for fish & veggies, Chicken in Veggies, yogurt, cottage cheese, then have my carb serving after. I only eat about half the MFG recommended carbs but go a little over on the protein. I feel great. I'm always strong for long workouts.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

somewhere in the world a bodybuilder just died from laughter...

Yes, well, body builders certainly know more about the human body than researchers at one of the most respected health care facilities in the world. :smile:
  • I don't expect protein to build big muscles that comes from exercise, however it reduces cravings and enables me to meet my 2000 cals/per day on average.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    i havent noticed the day-after effect of a low protein day ( that you mentioned)... although its likely i just havent made the correlation and assumed my hunger pangs were otherwise related.

i have noticed a considerable DECREASE in hunger/munchies/cravings on days when i beef-up my protein intake. (pun intended)
    =)
  • Would like to add high fiber and protein reduces hunger and cravings.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    I have observed the same thing myself. If I eat protien I don't get hungry but if I eat something with processed sugar I get really hungry.

When I'm hungry I can normally eat 3 oz of meat and be fine.