Slow

Options
Hi guys!

I need a little motivation tonight. My weight loss is really slow, although I can see it in my clothes. I see all these wonderful people here who were able to drop 100 pounds in a year, so around 2 pounds a week, and I can't help but wonder how come I only lost 10 in more than two months. Were they starving themselves, or should I simply lower my calorie intake even more?

Anyways... Happy for them, but I wish it was faster for me. I still have so much to lose.

Needed to talk about it. Thanks!

Replies

• notmac
    Options
    It is not a race, it is an endurance event. Everyone looses at their own pace. Those are 10 pounds that you no longer carry around, so be proud. Don't drop to low on your calories, walk 10-15 extra minutes, or whatever you do for your exercise. For me, at this point, its walking, hope to change that and add something soon. The point is each of us will do what works for us. Slow and steady gets it done.
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is incredibly slow, also. I chalk it up to hormones, stress, and eating some cruddy stuff now and then. BUT i am losing even if it is slow so I will continue.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    10 lbs. in only 21/2 months is actually really good. It doesn't come off as fast as it does on those weight loss shows for sure. I get discouraged sometimes too. My doctor gave me some good advice. He said I would hit several mini plateaus along the way. He said don't worry it is just your body pausing to figure out what it is supposed to be doing.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lost the bulk of mine by netting around 1200 calories. What I learned from my journey is that number on the scale is not going to make you happy. Now I'm netting around 1900-2000 calories a day and losing about 1-2 pounds a month. The changes I've seen in the last 4 months have made me happier than any number on the scale could.
    I wouldn't stress so much about your weight. From your progress pictures you posted earlier you are making great strides. Keep up the great work and the scale will catch up eventually.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My loss is slow, but I'm happy with it. It's allowed me to work in the things I love, while making sure I eat enough to feel full. I've developed healthy eating habits, and my choices get consistently better. I've started weight lifting and doing interval training, and I've never felt better. In my opinion, those things are key for making this a lifelong journey, and not just a "weight loss fix" which is what I used to do.

I've been losing a pound a week consistently, and I feel awesome, dammit :-)
  • millieb73
    Options
    My loss is really slow too. I've lost 11lbs in about two months. But this time I've been exercising which I've never done before. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but every other time I've tried to lose weight it's been with shakes or something else extreme and (IMO) unsustainable. So I've always lost weight very quickly. I'm trying to concentrate on being healthier and fitter, rather than thinner.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    You know they say slow and steady wins the race...well losing weight at a slower pace is better for you too. You say you're losing inches, that is great and I sometimes would rather lose inches over pounds. I have lost from a 4X pant to an XL pant. Those were inches over pounds and I did the happy dance. Keep working at it and the pounds will catch up. Good Luck
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have lost slowly too, over the course of a year - almost at goal now.
    One reason is being short, so the minimum 1200 calories has created a smaller and smaller deficit as I lost weight.
    Another reason is being older.
    But I don't see these as problems really, because I will always be short and I will just keep getting older so I will have to continue pretty much as I have been doing even to maintain. I see the past year as training for the rest of my life.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I consider a pound a week fast weight loss - I eat really well and work out pretty hard and after 5 months, I don't think I will see that pace again. Those that lose faster are young and/or burning TONs of calories. Kudos to you ammemckee for sticking with it - I hope I reach my goal w/in a year!

"Patience is bitter, but the rewards are sweet." - Aristotle
  • justgin
    Options
    I've lost nothing. Been doing this for several weeks now and not one pound has come off, BUT I workout 6 days a week - sweat like never before. I pay attention to what I'm putting in my mouth. I drink water - constantly. I *know* I'm doing better even though my scale doesn't agree. This is enough for me.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    They say that 1/2 to 1 pound is ideal. Now, true many lose more, at least in the beginning, but if you are losing at the rate of 1/2 to 1 pound you doing well. Are you exercising? If you are, maybe you are gaining muscle. If you aren't maybe exercising will speed up your metabolism. In any case, you are losing weight. That is what counts in the end.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 25lbs.....like they say, keep going! You are making progress. Dont get discouraged. You are so much further ahead than you were!!!! I feel the same way about other peoples losses, but I have maintained for a year, and I guess I am pretty happy about that.:) Aside from the last 5ish are cemented to my *kitten*.LOL:wink:
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think that you are doing an amazing job! The key to this is to look to others for inspiration, but don't compare yourself to them (and believe me, I am still having trouble with that part). You are going to lose weight at a different rate then others. It could be chalked up to stress, hormones, genetics, etc. But in the end, you are losing weight, making healthier choices, and becoming all around more fit. Remember to celebrate your victories, no matter how small, because that is also something that will keep you motivated. Good luck!
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow looser too and sometimes I get mad at myself because I COULD be getting this weight off faster...but I would hating life. As it is I obsess about everything that I eat and how often I excersize. If I dropped my intake even lower I would be a cranky nastly person.
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow looser too and sometimes I get mad at myself because I COULD be getting this weight off faster...but I would hating life. As it is I obsess about everything that I eat and how often I excersize. If I dropped my intake even lower I would be a cranky nastly person.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    The people I have talked to that lost a lot of weight are very consistent with exercise and challenging themselves physically. They are also consistent with their food. I have had more than one person suggest getting a food scale and really measuring out the serving sizes to be sure you aren't eating more than you think you are. But, most importantly. Don't compare yourself to anyone. Just do the best you can for yourself. Everyone says it, but the weight didn't go on overnight it's not going to come off overnight.
  • lewshetland
    lewshetland Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I do not lose weight I try to focus on how much better I am feeling about myself, having more energy, coping with stress better and being able to enjoy life and the people I share life with.
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragements! I feel better already, and am happy to see other people in the same situation, which means it's quite normal! Thanks again!
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Don't be too stressed out. The biggest challenge is mentally accepting the fact that you need to do something about your weight. The fact that your clothes feel different means you are busting your butt to change your life style. Give yourself some credit for that. Keep motivated and reach out to all of here on this site when ever you need some encouragement.