Protein Powder Flatbreads - 2 basic ingredients!

Options
DesertRains
DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
1 Scoop Unflavored Protein Powder (I used Now Sports - Whey Protein Powder - Unflavored)
3 Egg whites

1 tsp garlic powder (not salt!)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper

You will need (for best results) a rubber spatula for spreading the batter as it cooks and a metal spatula to flip.

Mix all of the above. Divide into 1/3rd portions. Pour 1/3 onto a very hot (I used med-high setting on my burner), greased griddle (I used a round cast iron griddle and sprayed with PAM). Working quickly, as the bottom will begin to cook immediately, spread the batter toward the edges with the rubber spatula, making a round flat bread. make it fairly thin,as it puffs while cooking. Check under the edges to see if the bottom is golden - this is kind of a feel-it-out recipe.

Flip carefully and brown the other side. This should make 3 decent-sized crepe-like flatbreads with an italian-herb-garlic flavor. You'll be surprised what a good sub for breads this is, and it holds up pretty well to most cold cuts (I like lean turkey) and even a bit of tuna salad rolled up. You can't fold them burrito-style like a tortilla, but they work for simple fillings and the stats are waaaaaay better and much lower in carbs/higher in protein than tortillas.

You can use your imagination and flavor however you want. It's a pretty blank slate. This was inspired by JennJenn1211's fitness pancakes, but with a savory twist!

Here are the stats per flatbread:

Calories: 55
Carbs: 1 gram
Fat: 0 grams
Protein: 12 grams

Edited to add: You can also, for a little extra calories, grate carrots, zucchini or what have you into this to make a bulkier flat bread.

Replies

• FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Those sound great ty for sharing
  • DesertRains
    Options
    You're welcome! I will try to post a picture next time I make these.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Bumping to check back for a pic.....would love an easy flatbread with almost no carbs, but that tastes good.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh my word. THANK YOU! These were brilliant.

Ok, they're not exactly like bread - more a crispy flatbread (reminded me of indian roti/dosa - need to try this with cilantro and indian spices would be fabulous).

Protein powder (soya isolate natural) 1/3 scoop (33 cal) + one egg white (17 cal) + one-cal oil spray for frying (4 cal) = 44 calories!!

Here they are with my pesto-turkey breast lunch. I think I'd need to double quantities and make it larger/flatter to use as a wrap.

c4d10035.jpg

bb8a52d3.jpg
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bump!! :-)
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DesertRains
    Options
    Thank you for the pictures! I will still try and post some myself.

These aren't bread, that's for sure, but for me they satisfy the bulky/carby craving with almost NO carbs. I try and make mine as thin as humanely possible so that they are able to be wrapped.

I'm going to try indian spices! Bet that would be great with a low-fat curry chicken salad!

I thought of trying this as a pizza base, but it wouldn't be a base you could pick up - more like eat-it-with-a-fork pizza. I might still try it...
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Kimmy136
    Kimmy136 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
    I've been looking for something like this!
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! Always looking for something to substitute for bread. Ground flax seed powder mixed with egg works pretty good for wraps too! :)
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DMVButterfly
    DMVButterfly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try tonight.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump! I need to keep this recipe!
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump! So I made these again, bigger (2 egg whites, 2/3 scoop (60g) of soya protein powder). This time "pizza" style with mixed herbs, garlic granules and a smear of tomato puree topped with a fried egg + hot sauce.
    Could easily do a more traditional pizza with cheese and pizza sauce, pretty sure it would be delicious!

73ec7835.jpg
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    defniitely worth a try, thanks!
  • DesertRains
    Options
    Awesome! Going to try as a pizza base and if it works, will take pictures!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump!!!!!!!!!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Bump