excessive yawning

Options
Hey everyone :) This is my first topic post and I'm really hoping someone can help me out!

For the last few years as I've gotten more in to exercise (not in to as in enjoying it, just making myself do it) I have noticed that I yawn A LOT. I'm not just talking a few times an hr. For example, I just finished my level one 30 Day Shred work-out and I yawned around 23 times in the 30 mins!

I'm starting to get really frustrated. They are big yawns so I have to semi pause whatever I am doing and if I'm working out with a trainer or friend they say "pssh you are obviously bored and not working hard enough". Everything I've read said I am not getting enough oxygen but I feel that my breathing is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did it ever turn out to be something serious?

Thanks!

Oh yeah it tends to happen more when I'm switching from one exercise to another like in circuit work.

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yawning IS typically a strong indicator that you aren't getting enough oxygen. Do you wake up earlier than usual to work out? Do you force yourself to workout even though you're already exhausted from either waking up too early to workout or just from a long day? Those are the only other reasons I could think of as to why you might be yawning so much. If you answered no to both, I would suggest bringing it up to your doctor. Sometimes it isn't too obvious that you aren't getting enough oxygen. I know that sounds silly - "If I'm not getting oxygen, shouldn't I be passing out or something?" I don't think it's always that simple. It's always a good idea to get some tests done or talk to a professional just incase. :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options
    I don't wake up early to work out. I tend to work out around 3 or 4 or later at night around 8. I guess it could be from a long day but wouldn't I be yawning all during the evening, not just when I work out? Idk. Also, I work out at random times with random levels of energy and the yawning is always there. I wish I could ask my doctor with out the $45 co-pay haha, because if it ends up being nothing then that would be a waste. I guess I'll just keep it in check and keep doing research. Thanks :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Try more intense work if you're yawning all the time?
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You may have exercise induced asthma and not know it. I have asthma but I rarely have an "attack" the way it looks on tv. I get excessive yawning or sleepiness, a creeping feeling of dizziness just like you describe. I only wheeze audibly when things are really, really bad.

If you have good breathing technique then that's probably helping you breathe, but it will also help mask the louder wheezing that shallow breathers have with asthma.

I suggest you get yourself checked at the doctors pretty soon. Good luck.

PS I never enjoyed exercise until I got my asthma under control because I was always fighting oxygen deprivation. If you take an inhaler before exercising, you may find you can finally enjoy that runner's high everyone talks about.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor. This could be a symptom of a heart problem. Hopefully, it's nothing serious though.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003096.htm
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options
    Hmm asthma actually sounds plausible. When I do excessive running I get this pain in my check like really bad heartburn and it doesn't go away until I stop and take some breaths and rest. Does that sound like asthma?
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Hmm asthma actually sounds plausible. When I do excessive running I get this pain in my check like really bad heartburn and it doesn't go away until I stop and take some breaths and rest. Does that sound like asthma?
    Wow! More reason to see your doctor and make sure it's not your heart.

I also have exercise-induced asthma, but I have cough variant asthma. It's a tightness in the chest and harder to breath. I don't feel like I'm pulling in my full lungs' worth of air when I've been on my treadmill for about 15 minutes or so. Inhaler seriously helps. You'll also need a doctor if it is asthma, obviously.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I yawn frequently during my workout and it is usually a sign that my blood pressure is dropping/I'm not getting enough oxygen. In my case, it's related to Vasovagal Syncope. This is a common fainting condition where my body has trouble adjusting heart rate and blood pressure to meet changing conditions. Things that trigger my vasovagal syncope include standing too long, or when it's too hot, or jumping up too quickly from a horizontal position to an upright position (i.e. going from floor exercise to standing exercise), or exertion after a large meal (no pre-workout snack allowed for me). Often, I don't think I'm working out that hard, but the sequence of moves just isn't good for me due to too much bouncing, or hands over my head after squating, etc. For me, yawning is an early indicator that I need to watch it. After yawning, comes a "graying"/"tunneling"/"unfocused" feeling. After that comes passing out. My vasovagal syncope was diagnosed with a tilt table test, but the doctor checked for other heart conditions because apparently these are also symptoms of other issues. (none for me - yay!)

I mention this because if you feel like your body isn't reacting "normally" to exercise, you probably do need to mention it to your doctor. Yawning alone might not be a sign of anything - but if it is, I think you'd want to know.