Snacks for work - Australian

Options
Does anyone know of some low calorie snacks that I can keep in my drawer at work in case I get a little hungry during the day (which I usually do lol)?

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It's hard to think of low cal long life type foods
    I always have little tubs of fruit and some small boxes of sultanas
    but I bring in a choice of "slice of cheese", a boiled egg, 10 peanuts, strawberries, grapes, mandarins on a daily basis.
  • breeh1993
    breeh1993 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes which is the problem :( oh well I'll just have to keep preparing foods!
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find carrot and celery sticks are good to chew on during the day. I cut a whole heap up and they last a couple of days.
    Also I buy packets of nuts and berries from Woolies.

Strawberries are on special there at the moment :)

If I am hungry during the day I try and just have a cup of green tea.
  • wallisjules
    Options
    I keep the 30g packs of nuts or the small individual packs of rice crakers. Small 30g packs of Sultanas or dried fruit is also good. Weight Watchers also do a lot of snack bars you can get in the supermarket that range from 2-3points. The also have weight watchers long life cakes in some supermarkets as well which arn't too bad and range in points.
  • millieb73
    Options
    Strawberries at Woolies - $3.50 for two HUGE punnets!

Aldi does snack-packs of those little Japanese rice crackers. Weight watchers bars. Fruit and nut mixes.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I keep Rye Cruskits & Happy Cow cheese trianges (they don't need to be in the fridge, you can get them from Woolies). I used to keep almonds and dried apricots but I ate waaay to many. I also have mini protein bars incase I have a chocolate craving. I bring heaps of fruit with me and snack on that too, its handy as it doesn't need to be in the fridge. I avoid the kitchen if I can as there's biscuits in there haha.
  • misscarissak
    Options
    Usually I'll just have a yoghurt, fruit or a row of multigrain rice crackers :smile:

Cruskits with cottage cheese are also pretty yum!
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is good. Those individual packets with the chips at woollies are less than 100 cals per bag
  • Purplefishie
    Purplefishie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get the little bags of popcorn from the health food aisle at Woolies - Mini Macro. They come in a multi pack of 3 flavours and I think they're about 50 to 60 calories per bag.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Given strawberries are on special try this - cottage cheese with strawberries.........sounds gross but is actually really nice and fills you up!
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    I love strawberries, vita wheats and vegemite, mexican tuna from coles! only like 49 cals, mandarins, I made some yummy brownies yesterday, 89 cals a serve, breakfast prunes, all fruits really!
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    I get the little bags of popcorn from the health food aisle at Woolies - Mini Macro. They come in a multi pack of 3 flavours and I think they're about 50 to 60 calories per bag.

or you can make your own popcorn! Yum!
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried BodyTrim's protein bars? I like the choc mint crisp one and its only 142 calories and 17.5 grams of protein - great filling snack.
    My other go to snacks in work are:
    Golden wholemeal crumpets and half a teaspoon peanutbutter (crumpet is 93 cals)
    Belvita Crunchy Oats Breakfast Biscuit - 56 cals per buscuit
    Nature Valley Roasted Almond Granola Bars - Two bars in one pack I force myself to each only one which is 95 cals
    Brownes no fat vanilla yoghurt and half a punnet of strawberries - 3/4 cups of yoghurt and strawberries comes in at 113 cals

Hope this helps - feel free to add me to check out my diary for ideas :-)
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cool pack popcorn, it comes in a bag of 10 and is 90 cals a serve. :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you feel like some chocolate try Well Naturaly's sugar free 70% cocoa mint crisp bar for only 68 calories for two peices. It's sweetened with stevia which is natural and they do have other flavours in the range. Bought it from Coles, Woolies and IGA I believe.

Slim Fruits pastilles are ok to nibble on too but sweetened with artificial stuff so I only have a little now and then. They are rather hard/chewy so take a little while to eat and only 9 calories for 5 pastilles. I didn't like the rubard flavour as much as the other which was peach.

Yamagataya seasoned seaweed from the supermarket also is only 4cals for a little pack.

Beef jerky is handy and only around 70 calories for the pack of Jack Links brand I have and less than a gram of fat plus 11g of protein!!!
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to always have mixed nuts in my drawer at work, along with a little plastic container of mixed teas...herbal and green. For when I got hungry. Also, once I had a massive craving for sugar snap peas so I went and got some from woolies and snacked on those for a few days.
  • AnneM69
    Options
    Chobani or Five:am yogurt in individual servings - it's alright out of the fridge for a day or 2. Chobani is only 161 cals per 170g tub.
    Harvest boxes, delivered to your house or work - dried fruit, nuts, occasional chocolate chips, yummy and 173 cals.
    Fruit in individual servings in tubs with peelable lids, Woolies and Coles have fresh fruit salad in the fridge near the cherry tomatoes, berries etc. and canned type fruit in the aisle near the desserts.
    If you need lunch, they have pre-made salads in that fridge as well, and canned fish and chicken in the other aisles.
    100 cal packs of chips in the chip aisle and small bottles of soft drink in the drinks aisle, as well as flavored waters too.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I get a few snacks from here: http://www.slimsecrets.com.au/

I like the mint/choc protein balls, my husband likes the 'morning rev up' bars, they are coffee flavoured. The cookies are pretty good too. We've found it takes a bit of taste testing to find the ones we like. :)
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Just because things are low in cals doesn't mean they're okay, like chips are still high in saturated fat and salt, and a small soft drink is still high in sugar, they may be tasty but they will only satisfy you for a tiny amount of time!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Raw cocoa nibs are a good snack if you don't find them too bitter. I don't mind them.