Zucchini Ribbons with Primavera Sauce

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
Made this last night and ate the enire plate. It was filling and hearty and the recipe is so flexible, you can adjust to what you have on hand or the sauce and vegetables that you prefer.

zrmfp1.JPG

Use a wooden or metal skewer inserted into the zucchini to act as a "handle". Makes it so much easier to shave the vegetable.

zrmfp3.JPG

Zucchini Ribbons with Primavera Sauce

Ingredients:
2 zucchini, shaved into ribbons
1 teaspoon olive oil or spray
1 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
Seasonings as desired such as salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes
2 1/2 cups of mixed prepared vegetables such as sliced mushrooms, chopped green or red peppers, sautéed onions, chopped inner cores of zucchini used for ribbons, steamed asparagus, chopped peeled tomatoes
nutritional yeast (if you are dairy free) or Parmesan cheese

Preparation:

1. Insert a wooden or metal skewer into the zucchini. Peel the outer skin if desired
2. Using strokes the length of the zucchini, pull your vegetable peeler across the zucchini to make ribbons. Do not use the core for this, but instead chop them up for the sauce. Repeat for both zucchini.
3. Heat frying pan, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil or coat lightly with cooking spray. Add prepared vegetables and stir fry until tender. Add spaghetti or marinara sauce and heat through. Season to taste.
3. Heat another frying pan and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil or coat lightly with cooking spray.
4. Add the zucchini ribbons and using two mixing spoons, stir fry the ribbons until tender.
5. Pour prepared sauce over ribbons and serve.

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AliSmith2915
    AliSmith2915 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I definitely have an over-abundance of zucchini from the garden right now, so am always looking for new zucchini recipes. :) Thanks for posting.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    isn't that squash? Maybe I'm just vegetable illiterate..........
  • nortx
    Options
    These were zucchini with orange skin that I picked up at the farmer's market. They had a squashy-zucchini flavor. Excellent! I hope they have more tomorrow.

If you are living a gluten free lifestyle and are interested in a new blog with gluten free and dairy free recipes, I am just getting started with one here on MFP. The address is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Enjoy!
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a vegetable peeler, so I cut up the zucchini with a knife, but it was still pretty good. Need to find my vegetable peeler and follow this recipe for real!! :P
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yep. Gonna Try this one too. And check out your blog.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • Kimmy136
    Kimmy136 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This recipe is right up my alley. Great idea about using the skewer. I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Options
    These were zucchini with orange skin that I picked up at the farmer's market. They had a squashy-zucchini flavor. Excellent! I hope they have more tomorrow.

If you are living a gluten free lifestyle and are interested in a new blog with gluten free and dairy free recipes, I am just getting started with one here on MFP. The address is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Enjoy!

Gluten free? Why?
  • nortx
    Options

Enjoy!

Gluten free? Why?

I have a gluten and dairy intolerance and cannot eat ingredients like flour, bread, milk, cheese..... that is why! :wink:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Options

Enjoy!

Gluten free? Why?

I have a gluten and dairy intolerance and cannot eat ingredients like flour, bread, milk, cheese..... that is why! :wink:

that's fcukin' brutal.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Looks good! Thanks!!!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    That looks really good!
  • AndreaL0918
    AndreaL0918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump, looks and sounds really yummy!!!
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im so trying this it looks delicious and healthy
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bump! Will be making this tomorrow (:
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lindylee63
    Options
    :smile: A great idea for Zucchini will have to try this recipe ... I have used bean sprouts are really good also fresh or can ...