Question on Eating Late?!?!

Options
Today, I ate 3 small meals that were 200-300 calories a peice. I have 600 calories left according to MFP, after I ate dinner. I was always told, do not eat late and/or before you go to bed. In a situation with 600 calories left, should I just "forget" about the leftover calories or eat again later tonight?

Replies

• sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    You should eat half at least. Drink a tall glass of milk, eat some cheese (protein rich foods). :)
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat.

There's no significant or reliable scientific datum to prove that not eating x number of hours before bed will aid in weight loss. You body needs the fuel, especially if you're active!
  • cota1chrome
    Options
    I have a cut off time of 3 hours before I go to bed, but thats my preference. :)
  • fattoo
    fattoo Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to eat late, especially on the weekends!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I dont think it matters all that much if you eat close to bed time, but I am no expert. I do not typically do it because I can sometimes get wicked heartburn if I do.

I would suggest, however, that if you do eat make sure it is a complex food or protein (some nuts, peanut butter, etc) and not a simple sugar. Your body spends less effort converting simple sugar to energy, and then to fat if you dont burn the energy, than it does proteins and complex carbs, so it is less likely to be turned to fat before your body uses it.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ditto on the milk idea - chocolate if you have it too - YUM

If you want a quick way to add in some calories is to eat some nuts too - if you like them. 12 almonds is about 100 calories.

That being said, I usually have a ton of calories left which is about the only way I lose weight. I guess if you get hungry it - your body needs it. If not 1 day won't hurt you.