Freestyle Swimming - Bad conditioning or bad technique

Options
Quick question for you swim experts.

How can I tell if I have bad technique or am in bad conditioning for swimming?

I do a few triathlons each year and my swimming is the worse of the events so I am putting a big focus to improve. I swim twice a week for about 40 min each time. A typical swim session would include some of the following reps (swim with paddles, sprints, or just freestyle for distance). I have had lessons from formal instructors and competitive swimmers that teach on the side. In total I have had about 10 to 12 formal lessons. My last instructor says I "had good form".

Currently, I can swim 100 yds (my first 100) on avg 1:40, which from what I see is pretty good/avg. I breath out of both sides every three strokes, I feel good, no panic, etc... However, as I keep swimming I slow done to around 2:30 per 100 yds around the 400 to 500 yd mark. Around the 500 to 600 yd mark I feel really sloppy, hands flopping, not much pull, little kicking, just breathing out of the right side every stroke etc...

Any thoughts and help would be appreciative.

Because I can swim the first few hundred at a somewhat good time that tells me that its mostly conditioning over technique (even though I know you can always improve the technique)

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me that you have good form, but that you lose it quickly when you start to get tired.

stop doing that.

focus on form. always alternate breathing. don't get into the habit of breathing every stroke. do drills the emphazise proper stroke.

do you just jump in the water and swim? or do you have a work out routine? if you don't have work outs, check this out. http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would agree. It sounds like you need to slowly increase your conditioning WHILE holding your technique together. I'm not very fast but I will hold the same speed (2:05/100m) consistently until I get tired. Once that happens, technique goes out the window and I consequently slow down.
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your endurance. What helps me when I swim (50 meter) pool is that I dont use my legs when I am swimming freestyle. It requires more pull and it makes me work harder. I dont think you are doing bad. Swimming a 500 (20 laps) more or less just takes time and your body has to adjust. As you continue, once you pass 8 or 12 laps your body will begin to compensate and not feel as tired. Keep on going and training.
  • 1atjensen
    1atjensen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Capt_Ap - I do have a routine I go through. I have two routines I use.

Any recommendations on conditioning routines for swimming?
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    well, i think you already know what your problem is; the kick. watch the distance swimmers from this past Olympics, they kept an even 'Rhythm' with their kicks during their swim. Another skill to keep in mind is to remember to look up to make sure you are going in the right direction, as you know open water is a bit different than closed lanes. just remember to kick and count, I am really lazy with kicking that may not be the greatest advice you are seeking but it's i'm sure its on point. good luck.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Endurance freestyle you tend not to kick that much - maybe one kick every 5/6 strokes, saving your leg strength. When I would swim longer distances, I would breathe every second stroke, and every length alternate which side I would breathe to. Conditioning for other sports does not translate well to swimming - I have had marathon runners in my swim classes who even though they knew how to swim, would be out of breath after 50 meters.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Capt_Ap - I do have a routine I go through. I have two routines I use.

Any recommendations on conditioning routines for swimming?

check out the link i posted. it's not about how fast you complete the work out, but if it's done properly. switch up your work out. your body is probably used to what you do, and therefore allows itself to get sloppy.

just do every lap, every stroke, focused on form, not speed.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Find the book "Total Immersion" by Terry Laughlin
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'll have to agree with the above. The fact you can swim 1:40/100 says to me that your form is decent. Well at least starts off decent.

Swimming like cycling you can push hard on all your workouts with minimal impact to the body requiring rest/down time unlike running.

Work on increasing your endurance and swim a little longer each workout. One thing you will want to look out for is when your technique starts to degrade it's time to stop swimming. People tend to pick up bad habits when you're tired and it's easier to learn good habits than try to break bad ones.
  • dkotyk
    Options
    "Total Immersion Swimming" when i learnd how to use this i slowed my stroke count down and increased my swim time
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    bump to read when I have a moment... I am a triathlete and a pretty terrible swimmer, needing some major help!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump out of curiosity.
  • nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was on the swim team in high school and we did weight training twice a week to get stronger. We had some basic weight machines at the school, the same kinds of things you would find in an average gym. I found the pulldown bars and the one where you sit and pull the bar toward you very helpful. Free weights would probably help too if that's what you have.

That, and sometimes it just takes a lot of swimming practice to get more endurance, especially if you're not accustomed to using those muscles.
  • msmit002
    msmit002 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Find the book "Total Immersion" by Terry Laughlin
    ^
    This.

I used the drills, slowed down, got my mechanics under wraps and then got faster. Big difference? Economy of energy. I don't get pooped nearly as easily.