Very confused about my calorie intake

Options
So I have my settings set like this:

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 255
Working out 5x a week, 30 minutes each time
And my caloric goals are set to 1650 because of that.

HOWEVER, I worked out and burned 466 calories today. So now it's telling me that my goal for today is 2116. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why is that? I thought it was already set to cover the workouts?

I've only eaten 1377 calories today and I can't even imagine eating 1650, how the heck do I bring myself to eat 2116? Aren't I defeating the purpose of my workout by eating 2116 calories?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Telling me you've never eaten over 2000 calories in a day?
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    Excuse me? Of course I have, but that's easier when you're eating pizza and fast food. Why give me the attitude? Check my food diary today. In my eyes, I stuffed my face, but it was on healthy fresh food. I ate a lot more healthy food today and ate less calories than I would eating lesser amounts of bad food and consuming more calories.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Just eat enough so that you're full and feel satisfied, don't starve yourself. Just try not to let yourself go over 1650. :)
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    Thankyou! I'm new to this and all I'm trying to understand is how, even though I burned off 466 calories through exercise, eating them back is going to help me lose weight. To me that makes absolutely no sense.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Those are the calories you burned. Some people eat them back and some people don't. I was told by my doctor not to eat mine back. It can be confusing. Just look at the calories your eaten and dont go over your origanal calorie goal (unless you want to). Like I said some people eat them back and some people dont.

Hope that was helpful.
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it (: I've always heard the term, "don't exercise so that you can eat more," and so that's why it threw me for a loop. I guess I just wasn't sure if it helps keep the metabolism going? But to me, if you're burning off calories through exercise, then... You're burning them off... They're gone... Why put them back?

I can totally eat another 300 or so, but another 700 was overwhelming for me because I practice the habit of eating small meals and for me, 700 calories is either some pizza or a salad the size of a bucket...

I did good today so I can reward myself with frozen yogurt (:
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Thankyou! I'm new to this and all I'm trying to understand is how, even though I burned off 466 calories through exercise, eating them back is going to help me lose weight. To me that makes absolutely no sense.

You're welcome :) my goal is only 1360 but sometimes I eat under 1200 and it tells me I'm not getting enough nutrients and could be starving myself!! But I feel full, and never hungry and I have mostly been eating fresh foods and veges as well as lean meats and even some homemade baking!

I wouldn't take MFP too seriously when it comes to calories. You know what is good for you and what is bad, and you know when you feel full and when you're still hungry :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Options
    Excuse me? Of course I have, but that's easier when you're eating pizza and fast food. Why give me the attitude? Check my food diary today. In my eyes, I stuffed my face, but it was on healthy fresh food. I ate a lot more healthy food today and ate less calories than I would eating lesser amounts of bad food and consuming more calories.

It's just how I roll.
  • weezieleopard
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it (: I've always heard the term, "don't exercise so that you can eat more," and so that's why it threw me for a loop. I guess I just wasn't sure if it helps keep the metabolism going? But to me, if you're burning off calories through exercise, then... You're burning them off... They're gone... Why put them back?

I can totally eat another 300 or so, but another 700 was overwhelming for me because I practice the habit of eating small meals and for me, 700 calories is either some pizza or a salad the size of a bucket...

Oh also, to keep your metabolism in tact make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between! Sometimes I have dessert too ;)

I want a frozen yoghurt now!!!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    This may be more helpful to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Welcome and good journey to you.
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    It was really rude of you, I'm sorry if it's rude of me to be telling you that but it's kind of mean to ask someone who's 100lbs overweight, "haven't you ever eaten over 2000 calories?"

No ****, sherlock, how do you think I got this way? But when you're watching what you eat and taking care of yourself, and eating foods that are low in calories but fill you up better than foods that are high in calories, it gets difficult to feel like you can eat some more.

But I guess if you're not afraid to offend me then I'm not afraid to tell you to be careful of what you say to people. You might really hurt someone's feelings.
  • weezieleopard
    Options

It's just how I roll.

why are you even on this site if you're just going to bring people down. It's about encouraging each other to get fit and healthy, not insult them because they used to have bad habits...
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree... do not eat back all your calories. I'm with you "exercise more, eat less" and that's how you lose weight. I'm doing a weight management class through Kaiser with a dietician, and an instructor who has worked in this field for many, many years-- she says 'don't eat them back'. Of course, if you work out extra hard and NEED more fuel and more energy-- you can eat some back. But you've earned them and can make sure to not go OVER. I'm strictly of the mind set that you must BURN more than you EAT to lose weight. Just my opinion!! Good luck!
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site lady!

Sounds like you're doing well already. Keep up the good work! Don't get discouraged by the occasional negative attitudes either... one or two crop up in just about every thread. The vast majority of MFP folks are profoundly supportive and encouraging!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want!
  • laurenmcd94
    Options

Oh also, to keep your metabolism in tact make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between! Sometimes I have dessert too ;)

I want a frozen yoghurt now!!!

Yessss! I'm not the person who can stuff themselves full of food 3x a day. I'd rather snack occasionally and even when I didn't have the option to eat healthy (I recently got a job and now I have money to but my own food and not eat the food my parents food) I ate the 5 meals rather than 3. I hate feeling too stuffed!
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    This may be more helpful to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Welcome and good journey to you.

Thankyou!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Options
    Add me
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Options
    It was really rude of you, I'm sorry if it's rude of me to be telling you that but it's kind of mean to ask someone who's 100lbs overweight, "haven't you ever eaten over 2000 calories?"

No ****, sherlock, how do you think I got this way? But when you're watching what you eat and taking care of yourself, and eating foods that are low in calories but fill you up better than foods that are high in calories, it gets difficult to feel like you can eat some more.

But I guess if you're not afraid to offend me then I'm not afraid to tell you to be careful of what you say to people. You might really hurt someone's feelings.

U took me seriously? Fatal mistake.
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    I agree... do not eat back all your calories. I'm with you "exercise more, eat less" and that's how you lose weight. I'm doing a weight management class through Kaiser with a dietician, and an instructor who has worked in this field for many, many years-- she says 'don't eat them back'. Of course, if you work out extra hard and NEED more fuel and more energy-- you can eat some back. But you've earned them and can make sure to not go OVER. I'm strictly of the mind set that you must BURN more than you EAT to lose weight. Just my opinion!! Good luck!

Yeah, that's always how I've seen it! It evens out to around a -1000 calorie deficit because I burned 466, and to lose 1lb a week I need to eat around 1800 a day... so 1650 on top of the burnt 466 ends up with the deficit that I wanted. Thankyou for your help!
  • laurenmcd94
    Options
    Welcome to the site lady!

Sounds like you're doing well already. Keep up the good work! Don't get discouraged by the occasional negative attitudes either... one or two crop up in just about every thread. The vast majority of MFP folks are profoundly supportive and encouraging!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want!

Thankyou! I will! (:

It just threw me for a loop that someone decided to be rude because I've always found this site so helpful and full of kind people.